CompuServe’s Forums, Which Still Exist, Are Finally Shutting Down

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Before there was a World Wide Web, a sizable chunk of all meaningful conversation between computer users happened in the forums at CompuServe, which was the dominant online service until AOL came along. Sadly, they’ll be removed from what remains of CompuServe on December 15.

There was a CompuServe forum for everything from PC hardware to comic books, the signal-to-noise ratio was generally high, and if you had a question chances were that a fellow member would answer it–just to be helpful. CompuServe was acquired by AOL in 1998 and was never the same thereafter. AOL itself is now part of Oath, which is part of Verizon. And time is finally running out for the forums.

Nah. QuantumLink master race!

quantumlink.gif

I wish that I had the chance to try Habitat.

habitat1.jpg

But it sucks that these forums will be removed. I didnt knew they were still active.

It looks like people are still actively using it!

Will the forum be locked but still searchable like the old Gawker posts, or completely taken down from the web?

I remember using this at 300 baud, frantically typing as fast the prompts appeared to save every second I possibly could. Because I was young, and the time spent meant money, and money meant I had to go mow more lawns, wash more cars, deliver more papers.
Stupid reality was REALLY harshing my buzz, as the kids would say.

I remember using this at 300 baud, frantically typing as fast the prompts appeared to save every second I possibly could. Because I was young, and the time spent meant money, and money meant I had to go mow more lawns, wash more cars, deliver more papers.
Stupid reality was REALLY harshing my buzz, as the kids would say.
I don’t think a kid has said harshing my buzz since 300 baud modems were common :LOL:

53390.png

<sniff>.....0 day warez........carrier connect squeals.........it was so *real* back then.....

Crazy that they're still around. I never used CompuServe, but I was pretty active on Prodigy back in the day. Makes me miss the ease of UseNet back in those days.

Compuserve was still around? I remember when we nicknamed it Compu$pend because of the hourly rates.

My in-laws are going to be devastated!

Luckily, they still have an account with AOL...and that's the ONLY way they access the internet these days.

I've tried. Lord knows, I've tried.

My in-laws are going to be devastated!

Luckily, they still have an account with AOL...and that's the ONLY way they access the internet these days.

I've tried. Lord knows, I've tried.
funny i know someone like that, dude pays for high speed internet, and then still pays for AOL!!! LOL, i mean cmon, WTF?!, stupid.

My original CompuServe member ID assigned in early 1979, I was literally one of the first 100 actual commercial users and I had that account active through about mid-1988. Used to love CompuServe, had many great times there on CB Simulator (the original online text-based chat), and it cost a pretty penny for sure ($6/hour for 300 baud access) but it was worth it.

My original CompuServe member ID assigned in early 1979, I was literally one of the first 100 actual commercial users and I had that account active through about mid-1988. Used to love CompuServe, had many great times there on CB Simulator (the original online text-based chat), and it cost a pretty penny for sure ($6/hour for 300 baud access) but it was worth it.

Damn, even today 6 bucks an hour sounds like a lot. I'd be broke.

I honestly. . .didn't know. . . .it still existed!

RIP Compuserve! Before that most us had to converse via the editorials/comment pages in Compute!/PC magazine/Byte! and many others.

Back