CompUSA Sends Out Layoff Letters

HardOCP News

[H] News
CompUSA employees got the news last week that the company was closing its doors and liquidating its assets. Losing your job like that had to be hard enough by itself without getting a letter like this. Ouch.

Would you check out this layoff slip CompUSA sent around? We know we shouldn't expect their director of HR to get all blubbery or anything, but it's like the corporation really is as soulless as it gets credit for.

I know it seems heartless, but what else can the company say? "Happy Holidays?" :rolleyes:
At least they have some time to find new jobs and such.

I agree with the previous poster. The person who wrote the letter is probably getting laid off, too. Are we so touchy-feely that we need a big hug and smile as we are being told our employer is going under?

Man-Up... this is Capitalism.

Some people don't understand how important perception is. Plus, Ed is probably losing his job too (even if he gets a package), so I doubt he cares too much at this point. I would really like him to read the article though so he can get a clue.

The guy who wrote the memo is also loosing his job, and no doubt received the same letter, LOL.

Yup, that would have to suck to be that guy and be writing a company wide "sorry but your fired' letter knowing full well that it applies to you also.

How ironic would be it be if Ed had to write himself his own layoff letter.

I recently just got laid off and my letter had almost the same verbiage in it. Seems pretty standard for this type of thing.

Sucks to lose a job...

But thank fucking gawd that SHIT HOLE store is closing for good...

For all you guys losing a job... keep your hopes up high.. you will find somthing better ;)

Those CompUSA bastards, I hope they go out of business.. oh wait, they are.

If the point is that loosing your job sucks then i agree, but if the point is that compusa sucks for the reason of this letter, i diagree, they are down, no need to kick them now just benefit from the sales (and post them in the [h] deals forums).

At least they gave everyone a notice (though I'm sure most already knew about it). I remember a while back when a large furniture outlet here in Oregon went out of business. They locked their doors to all the stores with chains and padlocks and put a notice on the front door. The workers had no idea until they showed up the next morning for work and couldn't get into the building...

Don't know what the big deal is... seems like a very standard memo from a big corporation.

don't worry all you guys over at compusa...come over to circuit city and we'll give you a pat on the back!

whykv9.jpg

^ ^ - - good question!!

I found that a little irritating.I have to say this news section is a bit noob :(

The forum software does that natively. Basically, if the article was larger, it would be truncated on the front page. Clicking the link would open a separate instance with the full article. However, since the article is small and fits on the front page, it appears to open up another instance of the exact same thing...

The forum software does that natively. Basically, if the article was larger, it would be truncated on the front page. Clicking the link would open a separate instance with the full article. However, since the article is small and fits on the front page, it appears to open up another instance of the exact same thing...

When I clicked on the link "this letter" in the opening post of this thread, it went to the article that is linked from the front page of [H]ard. Not to the offsite article.

The wording might be very robotic, but it's actually very, very nice that CompUSA gave their workers 3 months notification beforehand.

When I worked as a tech for the PC Club in Bellevue, WA about 2 years ago, I got a call from my boss saying "Don't bother coming into work today, they closed the store." Not even the manager had gotten any warning whatsoever. My friend showed up to open the store that morning, and the doors were chained shut, and had a sign on them saying "Sorry, please shop online." It wasn't until he called the manager that the manager of the store found out.

It wasn't just mean to the employees, but also the customers. I had been taking in work, and the sales guys had been taking orders for new systems right up until closure. Customer's computers that I had been worked on were left unfinished and dumped off at the Tacoma store, a good hour or 2 drive away. We had spent our time and effort to help their name and create loyal customers, and we were rewarded with no warning of impending unemployment.

Corporations normally don't like to give warning they're closing locations, since employees will look for work and leave before the store closes. Sometimes there's also theft, and slacking that occurs when employees know a location is closing. That really doesn't make it right for companies to suddenly take away a persons job when it's not fault of their own, and give no warning. Most employees have to sign a paper saying that they will give 2 weeks notice before quitting, it should be a requirement that companies extend the same notice to their employees.

Yeah id have to agree. 3 Months notice is a long time man...That least is decent of them.

I agree with jester, every stupid time I am in one of these threads when I click the link it sends me back to the same front page thing, instead of the article itself.

Looks like standard corporate wording to me. Did you expec a kleenex and a cookie from grandma?

I stopped in at a CompUSA about a month ago to check out some laptops...first and last time apparently. I should have relished the moment in retrospect :D

It's pretty standard and worded as efficiently as possible which is the way bad news from a company should be presented. Remember, your employer is NOT your FRIEND... they may like to give the impression that they "care", but when the bottom line suffers, your ass is gone. Guaranteed, even at google when things go bad, their employees aren't going to get a personal meeting with Sergei wishing them the best and have him personally tell them how much they meant to the company before they get the boot.

If the letter had some touchy-feely stuff, the compusa haters would be complaining about how insincere the letter was. :rolleyes:

While it may not be all warm and fuzzy, if it holds true for the rest of the stores then everyone has gotten at least a 2mth notice, which is pretty good advance warning.

Of course it will be interesting with THAT much advance notice to see how many inventory numbers just don't match up properly for some innocent reason.
I can see bunched of DVD'r walking out, as well as memory, flash drives and many other "small" items

I doubt this came as a surprise to the employees,the writing was pretty much on the wall when they started closing down stores all over the place.Real lousy timing though -"Merry Christmas,you're fired!":(

If it makes anyone look bad, it's engadget.
The letter is standard fare, it's professional and the HR person even lists a phone number for direct contact.
What more could you ask for? You want a going away present?

In comparison, @ my work, company President come into our store, speaks to the manager for 45 minutes and more or less has two things to say.

"get rid of that guy and that lady, their capacity isn't what I expected." - no warnings.

secondly

This was directed at my manager, whom has been with the company for over 20 years, has lead three stores to be in the top 5, and currently holds our store in the top 3 in N.Caliornia. Furthermore, she's personally known the company Pres. for years.

"your foot condition probably will be re-occuring" as in HINT HINT you're next, you're getting old

my manager recently injured her foot while gardening, had a painful infection, is taking antibiotics and very strong pain relievers each day, yet has put in the effort to be there each day throughout her painful ordeal ... what for ... to get this.

Come on, I know pf, and have been through some of the CompUSSR shenanigens and know there's some hatred there, but this is a lame comment to make on behalf of the layoff letter. I know, I for sure won't get no three month notice!

Maybe I'm just getting that irritating feeling knowing someone made a comment like that and has never worked retail in their life.

I always hated CompUSA workers.. they thought they knew everything about computers when I actually knew 10 times more than they did.

But the downside to Compusa closing down is less competition with Best Buy in particular, which means higher prices from Best Buy. I loved the weekly specials at CompUSA.. sometimes the sale prices would be ridiculously low that I just had to go there and buy whatever I did not need but then sell them back on Ebay for profit. Best Buy usually does not offer sales that good that warrants profit on Ebay (the rebates are not worth the wait most of the time).

Oh well, I can only hope that Fry's will expand its stores across the nation and keep Best Buy from upping its prices.

I'm gonna agree with everyone else. I read the letter and didn't see anything wrong. But I think it's a HUGE mistake to give out that much notice. Just asking for problems...

I always hated CompUSA workers.. they thought they knew everything about computers when I actually knew 10 times more than they did.

QFT. Every other shop I've been into had the same ignorant idiots that only know crap about their vanilla cases and shitty memory.

Flame prevention double post. (sorry)

I just wanted to add that I don't think anyone deserves to get laid off. Even dumbasses.

Now i would laugh is everyone just quit in say the end of january and made them eat the last month for sending out that letter

They gave 3 months' notice, and the letter thanks the employees for their service. That's far from a horror/sob story. Plenty of people have been laid off or fired with no notice at all.

Maybe I'm just getting that irritating feeling knowing someone made a comment like that and has never worked retail in their life.

Agreed and QFT. I encourage anyone who thinks they've got it rough to try their hand at retail for a little bit and see how much they get shit on, by management AND customers, while also trying to juggle a workload meant for at least 4-6 people that you have to tackle by yourself. Working in retail can either be the best thing to happen to you (i.e. you luck out and become a part of those who does the shitting on everyone else, OR successfully change that so it isn't like that) or it can be your worst nightmare. But no matter what happens, I can guarantee you that in some way, shape or form, you're going to get bent over the table a LOT, regardless of your position.

When I worked at Best Buy up in Michigan, their "restructuring" had removed a lot of positions within the company that they felt were useless. Maybe at the district/regional level, the restructuring did some good. But across the stores, at least at the stores in my district back then, some of the positions they removed, were probably among the most important ones! They shifted people around or made them flat out quit if they wouldn't take another position. Some of the full timers were demoted to part time with the 'promise' of getting close to full time hours. (read: Most of them were lucky if they got 20 hours a week.) The way they chose who was biting the bullet was a joke, and as a result we lost some of our best people, and watched them get replaced by complete idiots. When I went up there last, I stopped by the store to see some of my former co-workers. While I was there I noticed one of the cashiers, and judging by the way she looked, and how glass-eyed her eyes were, and the fact she was smiling over nothing? There's NO WAY IN HELL, that you could tell me she passed her drug test with her own urine. She was standing behind her register and looked as bewildered as if she just woke up and found herself on another planet. And I know the girl wasn't new, because my co-worker said she's been at the store for at least six months. Sadly, this seems to be the norm now in retail. Hire the dumbest schleps you can find and hope they don't put two and two together and realize they could be making more money AND putting up with less bullshit at the same time by not working for you. Bad business model to run on, but more and more people get sucked into it, either by circumstances or by optimistic ideals that couldn't be further from the truth. In case any of you were wondering, depending on the retailer the employees do get discounts. Unfortunately, many of said employees more than likely don't make enough money to take advantage of it and buy products at their own workplace at the discounted prices. Figure that one out.

This is gonna suck. We had one store in our area for awhile and I did most of my shopping there, that I didn't order online. They carried stuff for the DIYer that BestBuy didn't and I found their prices betetr than BB most of the time.

It just sucks we loosing more competition for ripoff BestBuy.

Back