CompUSA PNY 6800nu $200 AR is back

really nice deal. too bad i already got a leadtek 6800 GT... :D, or else i would have bought this.

I got in on this deal BF late in the day at the Compusa in Atlanta (buckhead/lenox).

Probably get in on it again. Rich area's don't need the good deals i guess.

Also, my pny is all softmodded with pipes and shaders.

Whats the success rate for the 16pipes on this card? how much better is it than a 9800 pro... with only 12 pipes? worth it?

definitely worth it, and even better if u can softmod it into a 16pipe 6VP card, and then, it really is awesome.

success rate has improved a lot with the new rivatuner. for details, see that thread here or at guru3d.

I'm in the market of buying a 6800 flavored card. I'd like to know as well the success rates for unlocking it and also like to know if that's the same card that had all the capacitors fall off.....

Otherwise I'd prolly go with a BFG 6800OC or even the BFG 6800GT...

Oh, and of course it's not in stock anywhere near here as well....i searched for a 150 mile radius and still everything says out of stock. Is this a web only deal?

ah man,

this couldn't have come at a better time as i'm in the market for a new card. Of course, it is quite possible this deal is available because of the fact that these are all cards that were bought on BF, and then returned because they were of poor quality/ had loose capacitors/ didn't overclock well/ didn't unlock. But even at stock this is a great deal on a card.

no way in hell im buying this card after what went down with them..

Ill stick with my plan to get a 6600GT for around 220

First the McRib is back, now this?!?!

I ordered one of these online on BF and it took a week to arrive. It did work great and unlock successfully, but I had already bought a BFG 6800 OC that also unlocked from BB so I took the PNY back to CompUSA. :mad:

Hot deal! I got in on the BFG action at BB but if I missed that deal I would be all over this. As long as these 6800 NU stay in the $200-$250 range then there is no point in getting a 6600GT AGP unless they drop down into the $170s.

Damn - too bad this deal wasn't going on yesterday for me. I was just down in Atlanta yesterday (100 miles from me) and stopped in the CompUSA in Maretta and I got in on the Saturday one day deals. They show stock also. :(

DusterAZ said:
Hot deal! I got in on the BFG action at BB but if I missed that deal I would be all over this. As long as these 6800 NU stay in the $200-$250 range then there is no point in getting a 6600GT AGP unless they drop down into the $170s.

hdtv support is why im going with the 6600GT. Plus you all seem to make it out to be the 6800nu destroys the 6600GT which is nowhere near the truth.

Unless 1-2 fps is death

with the 6800NU's you have the 75% chance or higher of unlocking the pipelines + vertex shader, thus making the 6800NU a little bit short of a 6800GT due to memory, (DDR2< DDR3) were talking 10-30FPS ahead of a 6600GT here. and that is death.

I dont game at high res's it really doesnt matter at this point. I had a 6800GT when they first came out. It was a killer card but more than i needed so i got rid of it.

Headbust said:
I dont game at high res's it really doesnt matter at this point. I had a 6800GT when they first came out. It was a killer card but more than i needed so i got rid of it.

You are definitely not [H]ard if you have had a piece of hardware that is more than you needed. ;)

Headbust said:
hdtv support is why im going with the 6600GT.
Too bad nvidia's (non-personal cinema) HDTV support is worthless without DVI input on your TV. :( And generic "VGA to YPbPr" adapters are not suitable.

I have an ATI x700Pro 256MB to play around with now that does include a YPbPr adapter. Gonna see how that works out, but I'm not expecting a miracle. I'm not sure ATI ever fixed the HDTV overscan and screen adjustment problem(s) that have existed from day one (R200 w/component adapter).

get the 6600 gt from zipzoomfly.com
its 229 with free second day
forget about the mir

and yeah you cant beat the mcrib for 1.99

HA HA HA!!!

Well, i headed over to compusa and was there 20 minutes before opening. Headed towards the vid cards and saw the 6800, with the deal. My eyes lighted up, called for the clerk, and had the card in my hand. I got even happier when i saw that this was the only one they had.I had heard the stories about these PNY cards, but $200 for this card was too good to pass up. Paid, headed for my car, turned on the radio and read the box. The card was too cool, so i had to open it up and see it. Do you freaking believe it? The goddamn thing had a capacitor on the bottom of the box. It looked like an easy fix, but i was so pissed i headed back in and returned it. Needless to say, SCREW PNY! IThis sucks....

Just like Black Friday.....seems they simply put the returned cards back on the shelf....not nice.

pigpen said:
HA HA HA!!!

Well, i headed over to compusa and was there 20 minutes before opening. Headed towards the vid cards and saw the 6800, with the deal. My eyes lighted up, called for the clerk, and had the card in my hand. I got even happier when i saw that this was the only one they had.I had heard the stories about these PNY cards, but $200 for this card was too good to pass up. Paid, headed for my car, turned on the radio and read the box. The card was too cool, so i had to open it up and see it. Do you freaking believe it? The goddamn thing had a capacitor on the bottom of the box. It looked like an easy fix, but i was so pissed i headed back in and returned it. Needless to say, SCREW PNY! IThis sucks....

Man that blows hard, guess you couldn't hear it bouncing around in the box?

Hey, I currently have a 2.8ghz p4 (1mb l2 cache) / 2x512mb pc3200 Corsair Value RAM in dual channel / and a BFG FX 5700 ultra. If I purchased this card, how much better would it be than my current card? And if I was able to unlock the full 16 pipelines how much better would it be? I know I sound stupid, but at stock its RAM speeds are 700mhz, where the 5700ultra are 900mhz. The core is at faster speed too. I know the 6800 is still better, but by how much?

probably 4x better litterally

But if your going with the PNY brand then i would have to say 0x better since none of them work.

Best thing to do would be to pay for the PNY card cash, open it up right there to see if the capacitor or anything else has fallin off of it. If not take it home and try it out. If you have problems with it at least you can get your money back right away.

(PM meh if you sell that 5700)

I may go for it then. The 5700ultra has a lifetime on it, so its still a sweet card. made by BFG. I dont think I'm goign to sell it, I love the little guy, lol. How much were you looking to spend for it?

honkee said:
get the 6600 gt from zipzoomfly.com
its 229 with free second day
forget about the mir

and yeah you cant beat the mcrib for 1.99

cant find it, link please

Bought one of these on Black Friday.

Unlocked extra pipelines and shader without any problems or artifacting.

No missing caps.

YMMV, but I love it!

As for all of the people complaining about missing caps, I don't blame it on PNY. It seems more like the shipping company might've banged things up a bit. Also, (using arbitrary numbers) figure that 5% of all video cards are defective. With PNY cards being the killer deal as of late, let's say 10,000 people buy them while 10 people buy a different brand card. You're more likely to hear about bad PNY cards.

Just a thought. If it's junky at purchase, return it. It IS worth it, IMHO.

I'd probably even try if it would be in stock anywhere closer than 300 miles....

Twinkie said:
Bought one of these on Black Friday.

Unlocked extra pipelines and shader without any problems or artifacting.

No missing caps.

YMMV, but I love it!

As for all of the people complaining about missing caps, I don't blame it on PNY. It seems more like the shipping company might've banged things up a bit. Also, (using arbitrary numbers) figure that 5% of all video cards are defective. With PNY cards being the killer deal as of late, let's say 10,000 people buy them while 10 people buy a different brand card. You're more likely to hear about bad PNY cards.

Just a thought. If it's junky at purchase, return it. It IS worth it, IMHO.
u must be joking me? did u see the BF thread with all the pny cards that were defective? seriously man. it was more like for every 2 good cards, 1 person had a defective. all the ppl or most of the ppl posted if they bought a card whether or not it came intact or not and from what i saw. it was down right ugly. i myself being one of the ppl with the card followed the thread and it was UGLY. ok maybe i exaggerated for the ratio of good to bad cards. but it was sure ugly. take a look for urself. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=837377&highlight=pny

For the record mine has been great also. Softmodded without any issues.

Yeah, "man," I am serious. I've worked retail, and we used to play soccer with computer towers at our store (will remain nameless).

Sometimes employees and packers and whatnot don't care. It's not hard to bust up electronics, just give it a good drop.

I followed the thread; my opinion still stands.

twinkie, keep in mind these cases are from all around the USA. so ur tellin me only CUSA employee's does this and only CUSA is different from BB and CC that much? i highly doubt that.

shade said:
u must be joking me? did u see the BF thread with all the pny cards that were defective? seriously man. it was more like for every 2 good cards, 1 person had a defective. all the ppl or most of the ppl posted if they bought a card whether or not it came intact or not and from what i saw. it was down right ugly. i myself being one of the ppl with the card followed the thread and it was UGLY. ok maybe i exaggerated for the ratio of good to bad cards. but it was sure ugly. take a look for urself. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=837377&highlight=pny

I reread the thread and there were 10 of us that reported a problem. In general people do not go to a forum to report everything is fine, so 2 to 1 is not a very good estimate of the ratio of good to bad cards. PNY made a lot of good cards and some were damaged during shipping. This is still a good deal and I would not deter others from making the same purchase.

BTW PNY has acknowledged receiving my defective card and I should be getting a new one within a week.

Back