comptia opposes right to repair bill

Apparently to get Admin credentials you must have Sec+.

Yup, no Sec+, no touchy.

I will say that for its purposes, Sec+ is at least a decent gut check. Any topic that you're not already versed in the fundamentals of you'll at least have those and know enough to get started, and the test is broad enough to address the information security 'problem'.

Reactions: xx0xx
like this
This is some useful info.

I haven't done IT since geek squad 10 years ago. There's no other way to prove I have a tech skill set without getting certs I think.

They certainly can be useful for that. If you want to get in to a field, or back in to a field, it is a way you can show "Hey I know something about this and take some initiative to learn!" Now that doesn't mean you get the right cert and you instantly land a high level job, you are still going to have to get work experience, but they can help you get your foot in the door for sure.

As a holder of a lifetime A+ cert(more flexing on lifetime and not the A+ ;) ) i find this right in line with Comptias shenanigans. Anyone i hear talking about certs i make sure to tell them that comptias for the most part are a cashgrab and worthless. Most of the time its networking and i tell them to instead get a cisco cert.

I was contemplating getting a Sec+ since all of the GOVT IT jobs here require it to even be hired. Apparently to get Admin credentials you must have Sec+. I think im going to hold out for something else. At this point im totally done with Comptia.

If you can get work to pay for it, the GSEC is a great alternative. Much better training and a more complete set of info. Probably a bit harder, but hey. The main issue is SANS/GIAC is expensive as fuck so you probably don't want to pay for that yourself. If you are a Cisco kind of guy another option is the CCNA-Security. Much more networking focused and of course Cisco focused, but counts as IAT 2. Past that, there's the ISC2 certs, namely the SSCP and the CISSP. The SSCP is supposedly not too bad and is IAT 2. I don't know anything about it other than that it is on the list. The CISSP is of course the big one, it is the buzzword that all the no-nothing PHBs have heard and think means "cybersecurity expert". In reality it is a 5000 foot view where you learn very little about a whole lot. However since people know it, it is loved. Also counts for almost the whole matrix, IAT 3 (and thus also 1 and 2), IAM 3 and IASAE 2. It's a pain of a test, very, very long, confusing language in questions, and so on and requires an absolutely stupid amount of continuing ed to keep it up, but like I said: It is the name all the clueless managers know.

If you want a list, you can look at the DoD's site and see what's on there. For things in the IAT and IAM boxes, higher level certs count for lower levels so anything in 2 or 3 will do the trick.

I took my A+ back in 1999. It had VL Bus in the test.

Never going to bother renewing it. I know sooooo much more than I did back then and I passed it easy.

This is some useful info.

I haven't done IT since geek squad 10 years ago. There's no other way to prove I have a tech skill set without getting certs I think.

Get certs specific to the job. Comptia certs are broad certs, tertiary even.

I took my A+ back in 1999. It had VL Bus in the test.

Never going to bother renewing it. I know sooooo much more than I did back then and I passed it easy.

Second this. Passed A+ back in those days w/o studying. The current test isn't much different in that way.

Get certs specific to the job. Comptia certs are broad certs, tertiary even.

Second this. Passed A+ back in those days w/o studying. The current test isn't much different in that way.
Ty sir.
An assistant net admin job. Net+ ok or should I focus on particular architecture? Like CCNA?

Meh Louis Tossman. They lobby for big conpanies, he lobbies for his.

Meh Louis Tossman. They lobby for big conpanies, he lobbies for his.
yeah real mature. he lobbies for his right to runa business and you right to repair your own pc. they want that to end. if youre cool with that theres no point even being in this thread.

Reactions: xx0xx
like this
yeah real mature. he lobbies for his right to runa business and you right to repair your own pc. they want that to end. if youre cool with that theres no point even being in this thread.

Louis proves everything that is wrong with right to repair, people using knock off batteries and cheap shit screens. Even if Apple open up supply, they will still use knock off shit once they have access to schematics because they will charge near what Apple already does.

He runs a business and wants more access to sensitive schematics etc so he can make more money and repair faster, he ain’t a saint.

Back