Component vs. S-Video @ 480i

Dephcon

[H]ard|Gawd
I've reciently replaced most of my workstation's components due to dammage and now i've got all the rma'd parts comming back my way and I'm gonna build a second computer that I'll use as a file server, once i can afford some decient drives. Untill then I'd like to explore the ghetto side of HTPC. I'm gonna load up mce, get a remote and/or wireless mouse/keyboard and giv'r.

I just got a new tv, Toshiba 32" Flatscreen. Its not HD and only supports 480i, which is a bit of a same but it was cheap. Anyway, i was wondering if there would be a diffrence using component over svideo. Frankly, i'd rather use svideo since it'll be cheaper to get a svideo switch box over a component one. But if theres a noticible diffrence then i'll go with component.

If so, i'm gonna need a new video card probably. I dont think my ti4200 supports dvi->component like ati cards do, infact i dont think very many nvidia cards do. Regardless of my desire to keep it cheap, i'd rather not buy a new Ati card thats not as good as my ti42 so i assume the 9550 and 9600np are out. Is a 9600pro up to the task or would i have to go 9600XT?

Thanks for your help

There's no major difference in your scenario.
I'd just stick with the s-video, and call it a day.

No, i would assume they only put thoes on tv's that are HD compatible

wrong wrong wrong, there's a huge difference even on 480i. The problem with the s-video signal is that it's not amplified well. There will be a huge difference between the two. I know first hand as I have the ati component adapter, 2 sd trinitrons and an ed projector.

Very interesting! I was trying to compare the diffrence of svido to component with my dvd player and it was pretty much the same, but dvd's aren't exactly high res. Hmmm...i still dont know if i want to buy a new video card just for component. Maybe when i replace my 9800pro down the road i can use that. Too bad GF4's dont support component :(

butterfliesrpretty said:
wrong wrong wrong, there's a huge difference even on 480i. The problem with the s-video signal is that it's not amplified well. There will be a huge difference between the two. I know first hand as I have the ati component adapter, 2 sd trinitrons and an ed projector.

How so?

I've setup an ati 9600 with the HD dongle on my old wega, and it was only a hair sharper than running on s-video.
about the only thing that made component any better over s-video was that I could correct the overscan easier.

for the OP it's not worth the money of 1) getting a new video card and 2) getting a component adapter just to have something that's only going to be marginally better than s-video.

KaosDG said:
How so?

I've setup an ati 9600 with the HD dongle on my old wega, and it was only a hair sharper than running on s-video.
about the only thing that made component any better over s-video was that I could correct the overscan easier.

for the OP it's not worth the money of 1) getting a new video card and 2) getting a component adapter just to have something that's only going to be marginally better than s-video.

Well im kind of a video freak but I'd still say it was a huge difference especially for games and text clarity, on the vvega. On the projector there's no comparison but then again it's a 120" screen.

butterfliesrpretty said:
Well im kind of a video freak but I'd still say it was a huge difference especially for games and text clarity, on the vvega. On the projector there's no comparison but then again it's a 120" screen.

You also said your Projector is ED, so then it's definitely a big difference
(480p versus 480i)

Back