"Completing Installation..." Windows 7 Install Hangs

JustinSane

2[H]4U
My friend just got a copy of Windows 7 and during the install it gets to the "Completing Installation" part and just sits there. He has let it sit there for 40 minutes and nothing happens. Any ideas on what causes this?

System Specs:
Q9650
Abit IP-35 Pro
XFX 5850 Black
2 gigs of Crucial Ballistix
XFX 850 Watt

Do you have a spare video card? Try to install windows with that instead of the 5850. See if it will complete. It's some kind of hardware issue.

Try removing any other devices, including USB peripherals. I think you can do this since the installation doesn't really need any input after you select your partition options.

He has tried that, disconnected his USB mouse and used a PS/2 keyboard to do an install and still hung on him.

Might be a disk issue. Try a new disk? or make a copy of it and try it with the new one..

In that case, try disabling components in the BIOS that may or may not be necessary, including ethernet. Try playing with AHCI/IDE modes on the sata controller as well.

There are two separate instances in the BIOS where you can set the AHCI, the install has hung on both. The first spot under SATA chipset devices, the system would ignore the boot priority devices and only try and boot from the hard disk. The system would first have to be started with the SATA chipset devices set to IDE, then after the first restart changed to AHCI.

Within the last hour I have found, (Im sitting here working on it myself now) digging through the BIOS that there is a second spot in the BIOS under the 'Onboard PCI device - storage controller, that can also be changed to AHCI, while typing this post I changed the SATA chipset back to IDE and booted the system this way, it recognized the boot priority and is booting from the ROM drive.

We also found that unplugging the 1TB drive that was in the system led to much faster load times on the last couple install attempts.

Installing with Onboard PCI device - storage controller set to AHCI still caused a hang, then restarted and disabled next to everything, ethernet, USB, floppy, sound... and just reinstalled again and it hung.

Retail disc, and we found that website earlier tonight, and tried that as well and it still hung, but thanks for it anyways.

My friend just got a copy of Windows 7 and during the install it gets to the "Completing Installation" part and just sits there. He has let it sit there for 40 minutes and nothing happens. Any ideas on what causes this?

System Specs:
Q9650
Abit IP-35 Pro
XFX 5850 Black
2 gigs of Crucial Ballistix
XFX 850 Watt

How about disconnecting all non-essential devices such as printers and USB sticks. And then only install one stick of RAM into the motherboard, plus the target hard drive and the optiocal drive needed. Also make sure to use another video card preferrably an old PCI video card. One more thing, try using the other PCIE slot for the video card, if you could not find an old PCI video card.

Back