Completely bored with gaming, I have stopped.

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
I have been PC Gaming since classic games like "Eye of the Beholder" in 1990, 20yrs ago. And I have been building my own computers since the mid 90's.

But this Spring I just hit a wall, and can not play anything right now, just bored to tears with gaming, just have zero passion for playing anything the last few months. Anyone else ever get this feeling ?

The few games to really hold my interest the last few years, have been WoW, the BattleField series, Half Life, and Team Fortress 2. Back in the day StarCraft1 was a huge game for me. Those few games really kept me glued to my PC on weekly basis, if not a daily basis at times like with WoW. Oh yeah and Quake2 CTF multiplayer was a giant for me and my Brothers.

My Wofe and I just had our 2nd baby in March, but my first baby was born 2yrs ago, and she did not stop my PC gaming too much, and this past Winter I was heavily back into WoW again for a good 4 - 5 months straight, playing every single night. I actually stopped playing games a few weeks before my son was born, so it was not the new baby that stopped me. I was already bored with gaming before he came out.

With WoW I just got so sick and fucking tired of running the same random dungeons over and over a hundred times each, just could not keep forcing myself to keep hacking and slashing the same old instances again and again. I really blame it on WoW. It started to feel like a job or chore, to gear up beyond the 245 gear, to get full Frost gear was a major time commitment, and I was going for it, but then I just hit this wall, I just could not keep playing anymore, been there done that feeling times a thousand. I felt sleep walking my way through the dungeons, and couldn't give two shits about collecting and more emblems, etc...quit cold turkey.

So I tried some shooter games again, but that felt so boring and gave me no excitement either anymore.

So now it has been almost 2 months with zero gaming, and I honestly don't miss it, because it feels like most games are the same old thing, with just a little nicer graphics. Nothing seems to be out to blow mysocks off, and say holy sh!t I have seen this before.

Maybe the new StarWars MMO by BioWare will get me back, or Star Craft 2 ?

Come back around when SC2 and Diablo 3 come out.

Don't base PC gaming on WOW... WOW was one of the worst experiences of my life. I'm very glad I quit.

I think I also drifted away due to the Hockey season. I am a huge Blackhawks fan, and they had another sweet regular season, except right now they choking in playoffs :(

But I would get together my with my brother, Dad and cousins and watch most of the games this season, so that took me away from the PC.

I am hoping the Star Wars MMO is really a cool and inviting world to play in. The first couple of years with WoW were all time classic gaming for me, before TBC came out WoW was owning me, in a good way, now I can give two craps about the game. Wondering if Bioware can make something that fun ?

I go through phases where I grind away on games for a month or two then don't play anything for 6.

The fact is, PC gaming is now pure shit.

I loved the 5 hours Modern Warfare 2 provided to me.

Dragon Age was about 2 hours of boredom before I fully appreciated how pathetic it was in comparison to masterpieces of Baldurs Gate II.

So now I await Diablo 3.

Just take a break for a while man. I think WOW has polluted your mind. Your prolly just burnt out, it happens me too. Play some console games maybe?

Baldurs Gate II was a classic as well, same with Never Winter Nights 1 playing multiplayer with my Brothers was a blast.

I am actually looking forward to different style of games now. This one really peaked my interest, and looks fresh and original; DeathSpank

Awesome video here, the 5:00 mark, sailing a pirate ship all over the sea looks cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPQrcXzMao0&feature=fvw

blah blah blah blah

just do something else for a while, you'll find a game sooner or later that draws you back in

gaming is a hobby you don't really give up for good

i don't play games anywhere near as much as I used to, I have found that I watch TV and movies more than I do gaming, WoW had my life for the last 5 years, only in this past year have I reclaimed my life from it.

Trust me, a break is all you need for a while.

For the record, I have not returned to Azeroth and have no plans on it, there's so many good games i've missed out on thanks to that game.

The SC2 beta is awesome. Its brings back my good memories of gaming... its the only game I am playing right now. BFBC2 got shelved as soon as I started playing the sc2 beta

I can't suggest anything because you actually played that much WoW. As a gamer you're dead to me. sorry :(

.................kidding...mostly..You need to open your mind and heart up if you wanna keep gaming. I owned Alpha Prime, FarCry, HL2, FEAR, Prey, and Bioshock for years (HL2 since launch) and never played any them more than an hour. I shit you not I played Counter-strike source off and on for 5 hours a day for 5 years straight. Finally last year I said "*** this I own these games I will beat them". Some took an extra hour or two to get into some but I have never been so satisfied with a game as I was beating those. You can't Really beat an MMO or an MFPS. It's internet vicodin. I've been on this campaign to beat every game I own on steam, 140 now I think. When this volcano ash crap ends and I can go home I'm gonna beat the Brothers in Arms series.

You have to give something other than MMO's a chance. You have to get out of that dog treat rat race mentality and play a real game. Seriously http://store.steampowered.com/ browse. You'll find something to love.

Last edited:
Same boat as the OP. 2 kids helped get me over my WOW addiction. Had 3 lvl 70s decked out in T6 before Bitch King came out and there was no way in hell I was going to grind 10 more lvls and rep for each. That and my wifes laptop shit the bed, she was my healer, and once she stopped playing, I lost all interest.

I've been playing games alot lately, but like you, after the kids go to bed, usually both are sleeping by 8:30. Beat MW2 and loved it. Been playing online now, 7 hours this weeks on Steam.

Played the hell out of the Left 4 Dead series the last year or so. Bought both games on launch day and loved every second of them.

Played hours of the first Dawn of War... Amazing games. As I type this my wifes playing Winter Assault haha

there's time for gaming, just don't let it force you into playing it. On a rainy day when the kids are playing in he living room, there's nothing wrong with playing some Aliens vs Predator, or as my 4 year old says 'daddy, can we play scorpions??'

also played some Turok because my son just loved watching the big T Rex tearing up the raptors :)

so when they get a little older, you can have fun with them, my 2 year old LOVES Plants vs. Zombies :)

It comes and goes. I stopped playing almost everything a while back mostly through boredom but have played a lot of games recently, been through a lot of singleplayers and a crap load of BFBC2, re-subbed WAR and having fun in that as well.

For the record, I have not returned to Azeroth and have no plans on it, there's so many good games i've missed out on thanks to that game.

I've quit WoW since last December (playing since day 1) and couldn't be happier catching up on the games I've missed out on as well as jumping into some console gaming past and present. It'll be awhile until I catch up on some of the great titles 2010 has to offer.

Damn I love UN Squadron for the snes, greatest soundtrack ever.

just take a break man, during the past 3 years i have only spent 2 of them actively gaming, took like 4-6 mo off at a time and when I came back i had a new appreciation for games. I know exactly where you're coming from tho, I'm about in the need for another break from gaming myself, just not getting the same thrill I once did.

Yeah I'm was almost exactly the same way as you until I got into the Starcraft 2 beta. I'm completely addicted and I'm having a hard time controlling my self from not playing that game. GL HF!

I agree with some other posters... it sounds like you are burnt out on gaming. It happens. Pursue another hobby or 2 for a while and let yourself recover.

Haven't seen one of these threads in awhile. Everything has its time. Go play with your kids or do something else fun for awhile. Sooner or later the right game will come along to reignite the fire.

It happens...as was mentioned above just wait about 6 mo. to a year and you'll find yourself itching to game...especially if there is a new game coming out that catches your eye.

If you find you're more productive with your time and you enjoy whatever you are doing to take the place of gaming time, I wouldn't worry about it and be happy. There are more important things in life.

Unless you're very casual about it, gaming is a huge waste of time.... but I personally like it too much to quit at this point. I guess it would be good if it keeps one from crime and drugs though. Better than passive television too.

I myself quit gaming quite a few times, but as I said before here, "A dog returns to its vomit."

Was overly addicted (competitive nature) to fps's. My wife gave me the ultimatum to quit or don't get married.... so I quit cold turkey a couple of years ago. It was actually a good thing. I started biking and getting other stuff done like having a baby (imo... a lot more rewarding than playing games). But in the end, I am starting to come back to gaming. After I put my daughter to sleep at night, and my wife falls asleep, I have plenty of time to get an hour or two of gaming in before going to bed. You never fully get rid of it. gl.

Gaming is better now than it has ever been, perhaps you're just drifting away from it for other reasons (kids, for example, would be a good reason to drift away!)

I've played more great games in the past couple years than in any past years that I've been gaming (a while now) and it looks like it's only going to get better. I will say, however, I love my PC gaming - play all my FPS games on PC, and if a game is available on PC I get it for PC most of the time...BUT, it is definitely time to embrace the console. I know this forum has a lot of PC die-hards that hate on consoles, and like I said I love my PC but there are just too many awesome games coming out on the consoles now (as well as PC) to ignore them like used to be the case.\

I had my break-up with gaming after WoW oddly enough too. For me, this happened about 3 1/2 years ago give or take...I had played WoW for a long time, and after quitting WoW I just sort of stopped gaming all around give or take a couple titles. Now I'm back into the fold and have played so many amazing games in the last couple years I doubt I'll be bowing out anytime soon. The same might happen to you, ya never know.

Getting certain WoW gear =/= PC gaming.

Torchlight can be your nicotine patch. They really hit the sweet spot, hack and slash with gradually improving gear and LOTS of abilities without massive cooldowns, all hotkeyed (before D3 is out, obviously). There are also enough one-shots (unlike WoW) and good, beefier enemies.

Just Cause 2 is the hottest demo this year, basically you get your own starring role in McBain, judged by Chaos. Great graphics, too.

Mirror's Edge is also a different kind of game from the norm.

I'm not liking Dragon Age that much, lots of talk and forgettable action.

Dunno Zorachus. Seems like a lot of your posts center around WoW. I recall you posting about warhammer for awhile and how much you liked it better than WoW, then you went back to WoW and Warhammer was the lesser of the two then. I think you may have just caught one of your WoW lull periods and don't have another MMO on hand to play for a month or two this time.

If you've been out of it since March, Im guessing by June you'll be back to WoW.

it sounds like you no longer get high off WoW, and you have no idea how to revert to the real world of there being games that exist other than WoW :p

Honestly, try my 12 step plan

after going through all 12 of those steps, do step 13, which is watch TV shows and movies for a while and then after a while of that you will feel like gaming again, then find a game NOT called World of Warcraft, or ANY MMO to play, just play some single player games at first.

You'd be surprised at how little you miss online gaming once you find a few really good single player games to play, it's all no bullshit, no hassle, just you and the game.

I'm not sure how WoW succeeds in convincing people to keep playing it once they've hit that super grindy wall where they simply repeat the same menial task over and over again for the only reward of making the next time that they do it even easier and more boring than the previous.

When it comes to an MMO, play it until you see all the content and then hang it up just like any other game. I've done it three times with WoW, each time an expansion came out it revitalized the game for a few weeks. After that, it simply got boring and tiresome in the same way that any other game does.

Most PC games do not interest me. Believe it or not, two of the best games I have played recently on PC are Grid Wars Awakening and Torchlight.

I used to play Company of Heroes but I hate playing one game for years. I play a few games on Xbox.

Lord I know the feeling. I played SWG until sony screwed it up start WOW and have now played off and on ever since it started I still have a subscription but haven't logged in for about a month just got bored with it.

Hooked up with a bunch of nice people over 30 on the xbox 360 forums and teamed up with some of them for some BC2 action its alot of fun. Although I don't mind running sniper and taking out another sniper from a long ways bullets do drop so you have to aim just above their heads. Nothing like taking out another sniper with a head shot.

If I get bored with that I go horseback riding with wife or get on my motorcycle for a spin. I was getting in a rut of thinking I had to be there to help the guild and it got to be like a job. I now do what I want and when.

Been married for 23 years to the same wife and no kid's, employed at the same company for 28 years just put that in to let you know I have been around for awhile and I think you are going through the same thing we all have from time to time. But gaming is in the blood rest up awhile then come back when you are ready.

I have the Xbox 360, PS3 plus this computer set up. I pick up whatever game looks good. when I'm not gaming I'm doing research to learn how to roast my own coffee. which sound like a lot of fun to me and I'm doing some computer modding.

I know you will find something that will interest you.

When you play a REALLY good game and have a really great experience with it, its hard to find it again.

I dont know if anyone played the game Freelancer online but it was the best gaming I've ever done. I have yet to get back into another game as much as I did freelancer. There is another game similar to it that is supposedly in beta called Jumpgate Evolution that I cant wait to try out.

I'm not advising getting back into gaming. If you don't have to, no reason to try. But if you are trying to get over the "nothing is like WoW, but I'm tired of WoW too" funk, then I suggest good old fashioned Half Life 2 and it's other episodes. It will broaden your ability to enjoy other stuff.

Was overly addicted (competitive nature) to fps's. My wife gave me the ultimatum to quit or don't get married.... so I quit cold turkey a couple of years ago. It was actually a good thing. I started biking and getting other stuff done like having a baby (imo... a lot more rewarding than playing games). But in the end, I am starting to come back to gaming. After I put my daughter to sleep at night, and my wife falls asleep, I have plenty of time to get an hour or two of gaming in before going to bed. You never fully get rid of it. gl.

Heh, yeah, I thought marriage and kids would kill gaming for me. Now it's for after bedtime for me.

If you find yourself getting bored with gaming for goodness sake dont play MMOs. Grindfest is the biggest waste of time you could imagine. You start getting bored when you realise you're wasting your life to the most pathetic thing in history... sitting in front of your computer grinding. That's what work is for, gaming should be a break from it, not an addition to it.

But either way, getting bored of gaming isn't a bad thing. There's way more productive things you could be doing. I've been gaming for about 20 years (though only pretty casually for about 16 of those years) and there's been so many weekends and holidays I've thought "Why the fuck did I just waste all that time gaming when I could have done something useful". However I can't think of any time in my entire life I've thought "Gee I wish I had spent that time gaming".

The weather is getting nice here in Chicago again, beautiful city to live in from Spring - Fall. Winter blows here :) But going to the dog park with my two dogs and my daughter is always fun. But my little 2yr old does not always listen to Daddy at the park, needs to hold my hand better and not wander off anywhere she likes.

And most my nights right now are around the Hockey playoffs, and hoping the Blackhawks go deep again this year. And like watching the top seeded teams losing :p

Playing and hanging out with my 2yr old daughter is #1 over anything as soon as I get home from my business. But that only is like 2 hrs at most then bedtime. So my gaming time is from my daughters bedtime until I go to sleep, which can be a good couple of hours.

Sounds like time for you to get a Mac and hang out at Starbucks.

Back