Completed: Project Nighthawk: Skunkworks F-117A

Here is a link to the WidewieW add on software for MS Flight Simulator that enables multiple PC's to drive multiple displays...

WidevieW

and here is an example of what it can do, mental :D

wingspan_all.jpg

Holy crap, now THAT is a badass setup. But I don't think I've ever seen so much beige in my life.

sacon said:
Here is a link to the WidewieW add on software for MS Flight Simulator that enables multiple PC's to drive multiple displays...

WidevieW

and here is an example of what it can do, mental :D

[IG]http://www.wideview.it/wv/images/wingspan_all.jpg[/IMG]

are all the computers on the bottem set up in a beowulf or something?

Here's a few pics to that shows the direction I'm taking with cooling the PSU and HDDs. I made a dual drive rack from angle and flat stock aluminum and will be mounting a modified ThermalTake CPU cooler on the back. There is also a duct that will snug up against the TT fan to allow the warm air to exhaust out the bottom of the case. To the right of that you see the white model of the PSU I made earlier. The PSU will also have a duct behind it to vent the air out, although this box-like unit will be made from sheet styrene.

stealth_framing3-(4).jpg

stealth_framing3-(3).jpg

stealth_framing3-(6).jpg

dementer said:
are all the computers on the bottem set up in a beowulf or something?

They are all networked together. One system acts as the master server. This server manages the input controls and calculates the aroplane geometry. The co-ordinates and direction of the plane are then federated out to the other systems. Each of these systems is then tasked with building a different viewing angle for one of the display units. Potentially there is no limit to the number of networked systems and display units.

What are you doing for the controls of the plane?

Replacing the keyboard and mouse with individual controls would be one hell of a custom job. Have you considered using a touch screen overlay on a TFT?

I could see one of those little black IPAQ keyboards and a small touch pad fitting into the style of the F-117A cockpit.

Or, for a completly off the wall idea, project a keyboard onto a head up display with one of those cheap i-Tech devices. (ok, I will leave the ideas to the proffessionals... :p )

0131573169414572.JPG

this is coming along nicely.

mods, any shot at giving crimson a sticky for the actual updates, then have discussion in another thread?

Uhhh, Crimson is a mod. He can do it if he likes. I prefer updates and comments in the same thread.

He should have a comments and updates thread and a sticky just updates thread.

Garage81 said:
this is coming along nicely.

mods, any shot at giving crimson a sticky for the actual updates, then have discussion in another thread?

crim can't sticky his thread till he unsticky's mashie's case that's been done forever AND sticky's my batman case :D

as always crimson..looking great...love the stealth picture...a friend of mine was in the airforce back when the F117-As came into public light and at a local airshow they did just that...roped off an area..setup a couple of guards and a sign saying that it was the F117-A Stealth Fighter and it was a hit :D

The ductwork for the PSU and HDD exhaust system is basically finished, I just need to add some rubber gasket to seal both the HDD and PSU frames to their respective scratch-built, styrene plastic ducting.

cooling_ducts.jpg

cooling_ducts-(3).jpg

cooling_ducts-(11).jpg

cooling_ducts-(13).jpg

cooling_ducts-(16).jpg

cooling_ducts-(5).jpg

so where'd you get the raked-aluminum for the top of the hard drive?

That ductwork looks sweeeeet. Is that Hammertone paint? Gives it that "Heavy Industrial" look. Nice detail on the framework too.

Raising the bar again and again. :D

Crim,
I think I am going to buy your modding book and soop up my CM Stacker. You have given me some Ideas!

I like the inner workings of the amchine and the look of it, but the outside concept even though following the planes structure looks bad IMHO but true enough it must've taken awhile to do it.

I'm not much of a plane or flight sim buff so that mostlikely slants my views a little.

zapperfish said:
cll me crazzy but how does the HDD get held into place, the scews/rivits don't look like they line up with the screw holes

I think he made a removable tray of some kind from the looks of it, I could be totally wrong though, keep up the good work Crim :)

zapperfish said:
cll me crazzy but how does the HDD get held into place, the scews/rivits don't look like they line up with the screw holes

If ya look closely you'll see on the right side of the HDD there is a rail with one of those snap-in spring steel tabs ;)

I can see the rail and the steel spring, but I cannot see anything on the left side, so I am clueless as to how you keep the HDD in place.

Ozone77 said:
I can see the rail and the steel spring, but I cannot see anything on the left side, so I am clueless as to how you keep the HDD in place.

i think that the hook on the spring keeps it in place

Nice work, Crimson. :D

I wish I had the skills and the patience(!) to finish a project such as this...

PekkerCadette out :cool:

The most difficult part of making this complex shell is getting the first few pieces of .060 high impact styrene plastic cut, fitted and assembled. Since there are no 90 degree angles anywhere on the shell of this case, these two side panels were the most challenging--the rest is a cakewalk, and very fun to build--here are the two side panels:

stealth_shell_1-(1).jpg

stealth_shell_1-(6).jpg

stealth_shell_1-(7).jpg

CrimsonSky you do good work and you think of the best things, no doubt on that, have you finished thta DOOM3 case, I dont see that you have just wondering

You do some nice work crismonsky. Your client is a lucky SOB.

Have you considered water cooling the machine? (It is a long thread and I haven't posted since the beginning) I like how much attention to detail goes into your work. (ie: Painting those fan ducts that no one sees and using drive rails for easy drive swaps)

Back