Completed: Project Nighthawk: Skunkworks F-117A

i always get the same reaction when i see that thing:

0_o "you mean to tell me that that thing flies?! *snort* yeah, right... 'bout as well as a brick, i bet."

but hey... it still looks cool as can be, even if it's somewhat less aerodynamic than a vw bus.

starhawk said:

0_o "you mean to tell me that that thing flies?! *snort* yeah, right... 'bout as well as a brick, i bet."

but hey... it still looks cool as can be, even if it's somewhat less aerodynamic than a vw bus.

Yeah but a VW bus at 45k feet reads like .....a VW bus on radar. not like a sparrow.

Lockheed F-117A: When it absolutely, positively has to be taken out overnight.

The design begs for some sort of canopy---so I thought that a hinged (and possibly motorized) canopy with cut windows would look pretty cool. With some yellow or amber light inside it would look fantastic against the flat black stealth body. Maybe even yellow glass with white light inside--I'll have to see which would look best once we get to that part. I still havent commited to the exact position and size of the canopy--it's simply propped up on there for now.

I also adjusted the angle on the front section. Even small changes can make a dramatic difference. The case isn't going to sit flat on a table--I have plans for some sort of "landing gear" to raise the whole case up--with some really cool lighing beneath :D

stealth_model_5-(1).jpg

stealth_model_5-(3).jpg

stealth_model_5-(6).jpg

a pilot would be awesome or cheesey. I'm not sure which. you could prolly make it badass and I would just stick a GI Joe in there. :)

SpangeMonkee said:
a pilot would be awesome or cheesey. I'm not sure which. you could prolly make it badass and I would just stick a GI Joe in there. :)
i think a lego man would look better

Crimson, definately loving the work you've done, between this mod, and the Doom3 mod, but it almost seems, with all this attention to this one, that you're getting bored of the Doom3 mod? No offense, just wondering is all.

bond_bbs said:
Crimson, definately loving the work you've done, between this mod, and the Doom3 mod, but it almost seems, with all this attention to this one, that you're getting bored of the Doom3 mod? No offense, just wondering is all.

Not at all!..the D3 mod is my "for fun and love of modding" project--The others, while just as fun and exciting are paying bills! :D

You just can't get the fine lines and final composition in a foamboard model, however I think I've found my overall shape for this design. The final case will be nowhere near as bulky looking as the paper model, so I have lots of room to shrink and finesse the size/shape of this piece as I start the styrene work :D My last bit of paper modeling will be to design the side intake vents for cooling the case.

I'm ready to start constructing the aluminum skeleton today!

stealth_model7-(9).jpg

stealth_model7-(7).jpg

Any chance that someone can post a pic of what this craft looks like in real life. I am having a hard time getting a visual from Crims foam model.
:confused:

You could also look on page 2, where I posted links to several hi-res photos from different angles.

Ahhh, That was dumb of me.
I know what an F117 looks like... Just had a dumb moment I guess. :p

Crim, what do your personal Modded cases cost, like say if I wanted to have you build me a case mod?

General Idea of a price range, I know every project is different.

Majin said:
Ahhh, That was dumb of me.
I know what an F117 looks like... Just had a dumb moment I guess. :p

Crim, what do your personal Modded cases cost, like say if I wanted to have you build me a case mod?

General Idea of a price range, I know every project is different.

You should contact me privately for with a serious inquiry only. ;) But generaly more than a stock Lian Li.

The framing for the skeleton is well underway--The shape mimics the model I built from foamcore, and will help support the outter panels. The material is all aluminum--flat stock and angle. The screws are stainless steel. I essentially created a motherboard tray and back panel, using a an ATX case as a guide for measurements. Plenty of room for the PSU and HDD's inside this framing.

stealth_framing-(5).jpg

stealth_framing-(2).jpg

stealth_framing-(15).jpg

stealth_framing.jpg

stealth_framing-(20).jpg

stealth_framing-(11).jpg

starhawk said:

If you ever get to watch it fly, it sorta "twitches" all the time, due to the shape, and the fly by wire compensating. That's why us USAF types call it "The Wobbly Goblin".

Yeah I noticed your hand there, it's too small to be an arcade. So, it's going to be a casemod that would resemble an arcade, then?

iddqd said:
Yeah I noticed your hand there, it's too small to be an arcade. So, it's going to be a casemod that would resemble an arcade, then?

Arcade games are not as detailed as this will be so no, its not like an arcade .

I was thinking like an airforce simulator.... but then it's just the software, you didn't write it besides :p

If any of you want to read a fantastic story of the F-117, check out "Skunk Works" by Ben R. Rich. Mr. Rich was to head of Lockheed's Advanced Aeronautics Division (a.k.a: Skunkworks) and tells the story of it's development from start to finish, including the story behind the F-117. It's a fantastic read and I highly reccomend it for anyone who wants the full story behind the plane. =)

Good luck on this mod Crimson!

ckozlowski said:
If any of you want to read a fantastic story of the F-117, check out "Skunk Works" by Ben R. Rich. Mr. Rich was to head of Lockheed's Advanced Aeronautics Division (a.k.a: Skunkworks) and tells the story of it's development from start to finish, including the story behind the F-117. It's a fantastic read and I highly reccomend it for anyone who wants the full story behind the plane. =)

An excellent book to read! It also gives a large amount of insight in what went into the development and engineering of the SR-71 as well. The use of titanium really drove them nuts trying to master it and mold the monster from it.

That would be a interesting project, a titanium case, fabbed to look like The Beast (meaning, the SR-71). With moving landing gear, control surfaces, not to mention the moving inlet and ejector nozzles... It should not be too hard, just time consuming, especially working the metal.

One thing to note is that Ben nearly got to go for a ride in the Blackbird, only to develop a case of claustorphobia while wearing the flightsuit that the pilots wear!

So, you started a new project, Crimson and you didnt quite finish your Doom3 one.

How come?

Found this link in a magazine that I get here in the UK (custom PC )

http://www.whispercomputers.com/multi_monitor_info.htm

They have some TFT configurations that might interest you.

DSCN2176_sm.jpg

You have the making of a great project, cant wait to see it progress. Kind of reminds me of an Orange County Chopper project, can't you get signed up to a TV company! I don't ride bikes, but I love seeing them being built! I love computers, seeing custom ones being built would be fantastic.

I love Flight Sim 2004, I have a dual monitor set up. I drag all of the controls and nav windows into the second monitor, it makes a big difference. I would love to build a 4 monitor set up, three for the landscape and one for the controls. I guess you have found all of the software mods for 2004 such as running multiple displays from additional PC's.

I'm willing to bet it's somewhere in the vicinity of $0 to $+∞. Am i right? ;)

Unless, of coures, you paid the guy money to make this thing for him, so in that case I'm completely wrong. :(

iddqd said:
I'm willing to bet it's somewhere in the vicinity of $0 to $+∞. Am i right? ;)

Unless, of coures, you paid the guy money to make this thing for him, so in that case I'm completely wrong. :(

why not ($-∞,+∞) just to be safe?

BTW looks very good.

What hardware will you be putting in it? (didn't see anyone else ask).

*MSI K8N Neo Platinum SLi Mobo
*AMD Athlon 64 FX-55
*WD Raptor Series 74GB 10,000 RPM SATA Hard Drive
*CORSAIR XMS Xtreme Memory Speed Series, Xtra-Low Latency 184-Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200
*Dual nVidia Graphics Card NX6800-TD256E SLi
*Microsoft Windows XP Professional With Service Pack 2

This is going to be good. I'm going to be watching this one very closely since I love this plane, well is actually one of my favorites. Keep up the good work Crimson.

Back