Completed: "Let's Be Brief" (PICS 56killer)

sKiTz0

Gawd
I have finally completed this project. I have wanted for awhile now to fit a whole, full form computer into a metal (coated) briefcase. No mATX boards or 200w psus here guys. I was forced to give up my second hdd, cdrw and floppy to fit everything in here. This is actually a rough draft. The final will have only two changes as of now. There wont be a hole where the back panel was supposed to be, and the cdrw will be in an encasement built out of this case, so it is no more than a box extending from the side. All I/O ports are on the front, including power, vga, rj45, rj11 (for internal dsl), and two usbs. The case itself has locks to keep it closed, and I have wired in a keylock so that the key must be in place for the power switch to function. A 12v red lamp was used for a power light, it connects directly to the psu. It houses a K7S5A (while my a7n8x is on RMA), XP 2000+, 384mb pc2100, radeon 9700, sound blaster live, and my internal dsl modem, along with a 120gb wd se hdd. Any questions about how I did anything, I will gladly explain. Without further delay, the pics:

The front of the case, including I/O, power, switch and lock
frontsmall.jpg

Front/Top of case, showing cooling
topsmall.jpg

Opened up
opensmall.jpg

opensmall2.jpg

Running at night, with flash
runningsmall.jpg

no flash.. doesnt do justice to how bright the power light is
nightsmall.jpg

Do a delayed exposure of the fans at night if you want to show the brightness.

Looks cool, wanna build me one? (for free of course) :p

All your cards clear the top of the briefcase? I actually dumpster dove a metal briefcase but it dont clear the top.

Originally posted by NotSoSimple
All your cards clear the top of the briefcase? I actually dumpster dove a metal briefcase but it dont clear the top.
barely.. the wires on the side actually are in a position to hold them in.

I would find some way to secure that heatsink in a more solid fashion. Perhaps make an aluminum bar across the top of the case and use it to hold that thing on better. I can imagine the devistation caused by putting that down too hard.

the cpu is actually at the bottom of the case... and its not really much different than in any normal tower :confused:

it looks damn nice, some straps to hold the cards wouldnt hurt,

are you running w/o an optical drive? you should be able to find a 200w psu like 1/2 the size.

its a damn nice mod, i wouldnt mind one of those, but whats with all the extra cable for the sount patch threws?

Originally posted by BLsibub666
it looks damn nice, some straps to hold the cards wouldnt hurt,

are you running w/o an optical drive? you should be able to find a 200w psu like 1/2 the size.

its a damn nice mod, i wouldnt mind one of those, but whats with all the extra cable for the sount patch threws?
Since Ive managed to fit the psu in anyways, i see little point in going with a 200w... I very much appreciate the added buffer that comes with a 400. Those cords actually do a fine job of holding the expansion cards in; as for the sound, its all that radio shack had :p Thanks for the compliments though :cool:

Is there any benefit in having the power cable come out the front? I would think it would be more convienent to have it coming out the back like a regular computer.

sorry i must have miss read something, i thought you said that was a 200w in there, my bad,

radio shack also has female and male 1/8 inch sterio headphone jacks, you can cut the cable you have down and put a female on the end to mount to your case, and then add a male on the end of the leftover and have an estention for use outside the case or on something elce (I put a headphone jack in my keyboard, and i use the other 1/2 of the cable to rout sound from my server out from behind its desk... just my thing, may not be yours, damn good case

Originally posted by BLsibub666
sorry i must have miss read something, i thought you said that was a 200w in there my bad
I said no 200w's here :D
Originally posted by MasiveMunkey
Is there any benefit in having the power cable come out the front? I would think it would be more convienent to have it coming out the back like a regular computer
The way the briefcase is constructed would have not only made it difficult to mount the psu flush, but getting the openings cut clean would be much more challenging, and probably not as good looking. For overall operation, it is much more convenient to have all of the plugs in one place, and it just looks alot cooler :cool:

i just actually made a thread about how i wanted to build one in Cool Cases

it looks pretty good from the outside but I am not a big fan of having all the cables from the cards/motherboard attached inside and then rerouted through holes in the case, but thats just my opinion.

Is that a standard sized briefcase? smaller? bigger? Because i want to mount my k7s5a in one with alot of the same components but maybe a smaller ps.

its actually an aluminum toolcase that I got from lowes, it comes with grey foam padding on the inside. I would say its a bit bigger than your standard briefcase.

Back