Complete AMD Radeon HD7xxx family specifications, pricing and release dates

These prices are out of line from what i would expect from amd.

No they aren't, the undesputed topend cards from both AMD/ATI and Nvidia have always been very expensive. The X800XTX, the X1950XT, The 9700 pro, The 9800 pro, all of them were expensive and the mainstream cards were the big sellers.

They are clearly way marked up which is fine but not really something amd has done in the past. I would expect this pricing from nvidia like the crazy 200 series pricing before ati came out with the 4000 series.

The HD 5870 was the only topend card from AMD/ATI that was priced at mainstream prices, and that was because AMD thought Fermi was being released in a matter of weeks. The HD 6970 was released at mainstream prices because it wasn't the topend card, that honour belonged to the GTX580 and it was priced accordingly. All previous undesputed topend cards from ATI had the same price gouging or mark up.

Hard to buy a card when you know damn well as soon as kepler comes out these will drop $100-$150. I think for people like myself who already don't like buying next gen gpus until both sides come out to play this pricing is just the guarantee that I wont be buying one until kepler is out. If i could pick up a 7990 for the normal dual gpu $700 price I probably would tho.

This is the norm for every single new GPU release, the HD 5870 was a one off mistake by AMD. New GPUs comes out, old ones get sold at rock bottom prices because they are old and surpassed in speed and sometimes features. Look at the prices of the HD 5870 and GTX 480 soon after the GTX 580 and HD 6970 were released. It has always been the late adopters who got the best bang for buck deals. Early adopters usually pay for R&D costs and they know this, it doesn't stop them dropping $550 apiece for the bestest ever GPUs.

Last edited:
Can we get some speculation on the performance of the other cards?

I see the 7950 is about 7/8 of a 7970 except for having the same rops and almost the same memory bandwidth. So would that be about GTX 580 level performance? I'm guessing the $399 model is 1.5GB

How about the Pitcairn XT and Pro? About what level of performance would you say those are (compared to current AMD and Nvidia cards)?

I'm going to guess that the HD 7950 will perform right around GTX 580 levels (+/- 5%). The HD 7870/7850 is said to have about equal performance to the HD 6970/6950 based on speculated specs.

Don't think nV is in a hurry to release their Kepler parts.
You make it sound as if Nvidia is sitting on a pile of Kepler chips twiddling their proverbial thumbs thinking of a good time to sell them. If they had any chips ready or close to ready they'd be making a lot more noise. Instead they are just as quiet as when the 5870 was released. Actually more quiet because even back then they tried that silly "DirectX 11 doesn't matter" routine.

ATi could've done well to have lower prices on these parts.
AMD is not a charity lol. I don't see anyone complaining about Nvidia's pricing.

Don't know what is the mindset in their strategy department but after the epic fail that was BD;
Strategy department? And what does the CPU division have to do with the GPU division? They are separate entities.

they could've used some better cash flows instead of selling cards to less than 1% of PC gaming population.
Yeah if they only had hired you as CEO and listened to your ideas...

These prices are out of line from what i would expect from amd. They are clearly way marked up which is fine but not really something amd has done in the past. I would expect this pricing from nvidia like the crazy 200 series pricing before ati came out with the 4000 series.

Hard to buy a card when you know damn well as soon as kepler comes out these will drop $100-$150. I think for people like myself who already don't like buying next gen gpus until both sides come out to play this pricing is just the guarantee that I wont be buying one until kepler is out. If i could pick up a 7990 for the normal dual gpu $700 price I probably would tho.

or you could look at it the other way knowing what Nvidia has done in the past with prices and see nvidia price their cards 100 dollars higher then AMD so AMD just sticks with their original MSRP price. its not the first time its happened, look at the 400 series, it really wasn't all that much better then the 5000 series and came out 6 months late yet was 100 dollars more per comparable card to AMD. at this point we have no clue how much its going to cost nvidia to manufacture kepler and if i remember correctly they are using a totally different 28nm process then AMD is.

Don't think nV is in a hurry to release their Kepler parts. ATi could've done well to have lower prices on these parts. Don't know what is the mindset in their strategy department but after the epic fail that was BD; they could've used some better cash flows instead of selling cards to less than 1% of PC gaming population.

they don't even have any kepler GPU's so exactly how could they not be a hurry to release something they don't have? the 28nm process they are using is way behind schedule. actually their current pricing is brilliant but then again you aren't in marketing so of course you wouldn't understand it.. either way they are making money even if they lose 10-15% of sales due to the higher price because they obviously don't have the quantity to support selling it at a lower price. plus they don't need to lower the price what the hell is there to compete with it?

Last edited:
http://www.fudzilla.com/graphics/item/25353-radeon-hd-7990-to-cost-$849

Dual GPU New Zealand slated for March

We got some extra details about the upcoming Radeon HD 7990, the dual-GPU successor to the Radeon HD 6990 and the price tag is not something that many will like.

Since AMD went on record telling the world that fastest single core Radeon HD 7970 will sell for $549 as of January 9th, the dual-core card will obviously get a significant price boost. It won’t cost as much as two Radeon HD 7970 cards, but AMD plans to sell this card for $849 and according to the current launch schedule it should appear in March 2012.

The packs 2x3GB GDDR5 memory running at 5GHz effective, along with two Tahiti chips clocked at 850MHz, which amounts to 2x2048 stream processors 2x128 texture memory units and 2x32ROPs.

These prices can easily change by launch date, but as of today, this is the planned spec and price. The card specification looks impressive and ambitious and so is the rest of 2012, the year of 28 nanometer graphics.

considering the 6990 cost around the same amount as 6970 x2. Then the 7970 should cost $425! lol

The 7950 sounds pretty crippled and considering that the 7970 is only a good 20% or so faster than a 3GB GTX 580 (stock clocked) then I'd say that it may end up a tad slower. I sure hope it unlocks and if so sign me up for 2!

I am sticking with my used 3GB GTX 580 MSI Lighting card I got for 425$. But the 7970 looks good. If I had cash lying around, I would sell my 580 and grab one just to bench it.

The 7950 sounds pretty crippled and considering that the 7970 is only a good 20% or so faster than a 3GB GTX 580 (stock clocked) then I'd say that it may end up a tad slower. I sure hope it unlocks and if so sign me up for 2!

Doesnt' seem that crippled to me, but I will reserve judgment until benches show up. My guess, it'll be within 10% of the 7970, which would put it slightly ahead of the 580.

You make it sound as if Nvidia is sitting on a pile of Kepler chips twiddling their proverbial thumbs thinking of a good time to sell them. If they had any chips ready or close to ready they'd be making a lot more noise. Instead they are just as quiet as when the 5870 was released. Actually more quiet because even back then they tried that silly "DirectX 11 doesn't matter" routine.

AMD is not a charity lol. I don't see anyone complaining about Nvidia's pricing.

Strategy department? And what does the CPU division have to do with the GPU division? They are separate entities.

Yeah if they only had hired you as CEO and listened to your ideas...

Don't quite like your tone to care to respond. However, just an FYI, normally large companies have a consolidated strategy department. Irrespective of GPU or CPU, the company needs to turn up a profit. If that means lowering prices, someone has to do the analyses to support the argument one way or the other.

As for nVidia pricing, tons of people complained about it. Don't know where you have been all this time.

If they had me as a CEO, there won't be so much fail in development of BD :bleh:

they don't even have any kepler GPU's so exactly how could they not be a hurry to release something they don't have? the 28nm process they are using is way behind schedule. actually their current pricing is brilliant but then again you aren't in marketing so of course you wouldn't understand it.. either way they are making money even if they lose 10-15% of sales due to the higher price because they obviously don't have the quantity to support selling it at a lower price. plus they don't need to lower the price what the hell is there to compete with it?

Yes, that was my point. They don't have Kepler yet and they are in no hurry to release it. Their pricing has been point of contention for many users on multiple forums that I visit. However, I can understand why they were priced the way they were. I don't quite know where you brought up the nVidia pricing in all of this, since I was primarily referring to ATi pricing only. :hmm:

Yes, that was my point. They don't have Kepler yet and they are in no hurry to release it. Their pricing has been point of contention for many users on multiple forums that I visit. However, I can understand why they were priced the way they were. I don't quite know where you brought up the nVidia pricing in all of this, since I was primarily referring to ATi pricing only. :hmm:

Current pricing on a GTX 580 hovers around the $500 mark. We know from the [H] benches that the HD 7970 performs about %10-%15 better than the 580. Therefore, it makes perfect sense that they would price the card slightly higher than the 580.

You HAVE to mention the competitor's pricing when discussing something like this, which you didn't.

Current pricing on a GTX 580 hovers around the $500 mark. We know from the [H] benches that the HD 7970 performs about %10-%15 better than the 580. Therefore, it makes perfect sense that they would price the card slightly higher than the 580.

You HAVE to mention the competitor's pricing when discussing something like this, which you didn't.
Ok then explain why GTX 580 was $500 and 6970 around $379 given that difference between them was also around 10-15%?

Given your logic, 7970 should be at $600 lol. IMO, you shouldn't price match/compete to a previous generation whilst releasing a new generation card.

1. [H] bench used oc version against stock 7970
2. 7970 could be potentially good as 6990
3. just like gtx 580 had premium over 6970 despite only 15% difference
BEST IN MARKET ALWAYS COMES WITH PREMIUM
4. THIS IS FUCKING [H] IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD SHUT THE FUCK UP

7890 has messed up memory speed and size? doubtful they would release something like that.

I don't quite know where you brought up the nVidia pricing in all of this, since I was primarily referring to ATi pricing only. :hmm:

Because pricing has to be in some relation to what the competition is offering. If the 580 were only $250 it would be VERY tough for AMD to price the 7970 at $550. But since the 580 is still around $500 it's very easy for AMD to price the 7970 at $550.

7890 has messed up memory speed and size? doubtful they would release something like that.

The 7890's model is somewhat of a misnomer, being a pared down 79xx complete with 384-bit memory controller. It still has more memory bandwidth than the faster clocked 7870 does.

2. 7970 could be potentially good as 6990
3. just like gtx 580 had premium over 6970 despite only 15% difference

I wouldn't say either of those statements are particularly true. Maybe if you cherry-pick certain reviews, but on the whole...no.

What's this? :D
32247e1b69ea3ca64c37970.jpg

Lemme tell you one thing about AMD GPU pricing:
"There's no competition, so what gives :cool:"

hmmm i wonder if the 7950s will unlock to 7970s this time around.

I also feel the 7890 will be a fairly beastly overclocker got the full 32rops but lower shader count i would expect it to scale higher. might become the new price performance king in the entry high end segment

Tasty quote from OCUK link above:
Andrew Moore did some testing last night in his home system with a pair of GTX 580 3GB in SLI with a CPU clocked at 5.3GHz, compared to my CPU here at 3.4GHz.

However even with that CPU advantage and him clocking his 3GB GTX 580's he could not break 3000 points in the Heaven benchmark. Wheras the ATI Cards break 3500 with absolute ease.

Didn't felt like a new thread was necessary, so I hope its ok to ask this here.

So it seems like AMD will be releasing the card from top to down starting with the 7870. My questions is did this proved previous rumors about bottom-top release wrong, or was there no such rumor at all about AMD cards?

I think nVidia is rumored as such, but I'm not sure if AMD was rumored to do that too. Just checking.

Thanks

No such rumor from AMD's side and I think you meant the 7970. And yes according to rumors Nvidia is set to release mid range GTX7xx? models first.

Its nvidia that is doing bottom top. AFAIK AMD always goes top down.

Back