Complete AMD Radeon HD7xxx family specifications, pricing and release dates

Lorien

Supreme [H]ardness
Making a new thread since this has been buried in others that are no longer being followed.

AMD is pretty much covering all the bases this generation with a product for every performance and price bracket. All of these chips are GCN based, which says a lot about how scalable the new architecture is. As reference the 7870 should have performance on par with the 6970.

r1j35ee.jpg

r2ymvb2.jpg

r31yv3d.jpg

Everything else under the 7750 is a rebrand of the currently available VLIW5 products and will only be available to OEMs.

wow if the prices are right then theirs no way im buying a 7xxx card 350 for a card that cost more then my unlocked 6950s and probably will preform about the same and have less vram

Given the rather small price differentials between the full and half-memory designs, I don't see the point to the gimped models, especially with games moving towards using more VRAM. If these are accurate, I think I'd aim for the 7970 as by the time I'll be ready the price will have fallen a bit anyway.

edit: I misread the 1st time through.. Ignore this post.

Last edited:
AMD is finally pricing their stuff for what they're worth. Good. We don't need them going out of business.

The pricing is good for them but not for me. I hope prices drop bellow that quickly

Given the rather small price differentials between the full and half-memory designs, I don't see the point to the gimped models, especially with games moving towards using more VRAM. If these are accurate, I think I'd aim for the 7970 as by the time I'll be ready the price will have fallen a bit anyway.

Could it be, that the cost of the memory, especially near the high-end of GDDR5 clocks, can make up to a $50 difference? If the price of GDDR5 modules was relatively insignificant, wouldn't 3GB 580's be in better supply at a lower price?

On B3d they apparently think these are fake.

Someone thought they were fake because everyone assumed that CUs always had to be in groups of 4 (on some of the cards you end up with 5.5 groups). That assumption was later debunked.

Straight from the horse's mouth again:
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1608701&postcount=2080

It depends on the particular ASIC configuration. The understanding that CU's need to be be in groups of 4, though, is a misperception.

Could it be, that the cost of the memory, especially near the high-end of GDDR5 clocks, can make up to a $50 difference? If the price of GDDR5 modules was relatively insignificant, wouldn't 3GB 580's be in better supply at a lower price?

You have to take into account time to market, cost of materials and margins for the AIBs.
First off the 3GB GTX580 is not an official Nvidia product. That means the AIBs had to front all the PCB design work and cost themselves. Also consider that this PCB would not be produced in quantities anywhere near the standard GTX580. Limited production items cost more per unit because you don't get a bulk discount. You also have to think about the AIBs margins. For every 3GB GTX580 that comes off the assembly line, they make 1 less GTX580 1.5GB. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that selling 2xGTX580@$500 is more profitable than selling 1x3GB GTX580@$600.

On AMDs side they are able to price them competitively (except the 7970 in the minds of some) because they ordered memory in huge quantities (Bulk orders carry a nice discount). They are most likely reusing the same PCB of the 7970 on the 7950/7890 which is something the AIBs selling the 3GB GTX580 had to pay for up front.

Also remember that when the 3GB GTX580s came out memory prices were obviously higher. All of these little things add up.

Last edited:
the pricing is pretty retarded. so new gen comes out and the performance/dollar ratio is the same as last gen....

The pricing on the 7990 might not hold up depending on if nVidia can get Kepler out the door around that time frame.

What's interesting is that the price/performance ratio for the mid-range matches that of AMD's current high-end cards. I don't think this development should be totally unexpected, considering the relatively low price of cards right now (such as the 6950) and the relatively high cost of the new manufacturing process.

It seems as though you only gain one thing by waiting for the 7xxx mid-range: lower power consumption for the same performance. For now I don't think it's possible to measure the improvements of the GCN architecture - other than the compute architecture - without using a card with a comparable number of stream processors, etc. People who recently bought a card at a good price can rest easy.

The pricing on the 7990 might not hold up depending on if nVidia can get Kepler out the door around that time frame.

I have a feeling once Kepler comes out and proves competitive then the MSRP for the HD 7970 will fall to $449 and the HD 7990 will be $749. Would be slightly more reasonable.

Wait, did I miss a review with benchmarks of all of these cards somewhere? How are people arriving at conclusions of price/performance when they haven't been released. Pulling things out of thin air doesn't count.

The 7870 should perform on par with the 6970 and will launch at $299 according to that chart. The 6970 at launch cost $370. The performance bar is being raised across the board this time around.

AMD is finally pricing their stuff for what they're worth. Good. We don't need them going out of business.
This is not true. You really need to do a sensitivity analysis to understand if P*Q at these high price levels would be higher than P*Q at lower price levels. ATi gained market share because of their lower pricing. With these prices, I doubt they will be able to even maintain that ground.

And remember, we are still a minority. There are more than 150 million people out there who play consoles. PC hardware is a drop in the ocean compared to that.

I would rather have had 7970 at $449 and 7950 3G at $399 and 7950 1.5G at $349. I am sure P*Q of this would be far higher than what it is currently.

My 2 cents.

Wait, did I miss a review with benchmarks of all of these cards somewhere? How are people arriving at conclusions of price/performance when they haven't been released. Pulling things out of thin air doesn't count.

The 7870 should perform on par with the 6970 and will launch at $299 according to that chart. The 6970 at launch cost $370. The performance bar is being raised across the board this time around.

The performance bar is raised every generation...pricing on these cards is just getting out of hand. Both the HD 5870 and HD 6970 launched at a MSRP of $380 and the HD 5870 was about the same leap in performance from it's previous generation as the HD 7970 is to the current one. Yet, this time around AMD is asking for over a $150 (40%+) mark-up for its high-end card compared to previous launch MSRPs.

I personally think AMD is taking advantage of Nvidia's delayed Kepler release and is going to price these new cards at a premium until Kepler is finally released. Then we'll probably start seeing more reasonable pricing.

Which is good. Because then you get true apples to apples comparisons, and all vendors have their cards out and tons of reviews to pick a card that's best for you.

I personally think AMD is taking advantage of Nvidia's delayed Kepler release and is going to price these new cards at a premium until Kepler is finally released. Then we'll probably start seeing more reasonable pricing.

Nvidia did the same thing pricing the GTX580 at a premium above all else. Considering the 7970 trumps the GTX580. It's price accordingly to the market. For once AMD isn't trying to undercut Nvidia which sucks for us. If Nvidia lowers the price of the GTX580, there's a good chance AMD will lower the price across the board IMHO.

of course!

And remember, we are still a minority. There are more than 150 million people out there who play consoles. PC hardware is a drop in the ocean compared to that.

There's a WHOLE lot more that 150 million PCs. Now if you're talking about the discrete GPU market then sure, much smaller market than consoles, but as integrated graphics solutions get more powerful and PC games don't push the boundaries because of consoles, more and more cheap PCs becoming half decent gaming machines every year.

7950 for me. Also, anyone think the 7950 will still be better is most if not all aspects of the 6970?

Last edited:
7950 for me. Also, anyone think the 7950 will still be better is most if not all aspects of the 6970?

i do

the 7970 isn't a "next gen" 6970, it's a next-gen version of a card that didn't exist last year for AMD - their imaginary 580 challenger in the $500+ category.

the 7950 seems to be a "next gen" 6970, which means it SHOULD improve on 6970 performance in a noticeable way.

i do

the 7970 isn't a "next gen" 6970, it's a next-gen version of a card that didn't exist last year for AMD - their imaginary 580 challenger in the $500+ category.

the 7950 seems to be a "next gen" 6970, which means it SHOULD improve on 6970 performance in a noticeable way.

So it would be a very noticeable from my 5850?

Pricing being outrageous kind of depends on what nVidia comes up with in terms of price/performance.

I do agree that these seem high, though. I thought (read: hoped) the days of $600-800 GPUs were behind us.

Pricing being outrageous kind of depends on what nVidia comes up with in terms of price/performance.

With this, there has been WAY more spreading around about the new AMD cards than anything with nVidia really. If anything, we can't really even get a grasp of that at all. I will say though, at least AMD and nVidia is very close together in the fact of performance and price, compared to how AMD and Intel have been recently for CPUs, where one is royally kicking the shit out of the other in terms of performance.

So it would be a very noticeable from my 5850?

in stock form? depends a great deal on what the gpu/mem speeds end up being released as

but given the 28nm's excellent overclocking ability thus far, i'd say that's a very safe bet indeed - should be quite a leap for you

There's a WHOLE lot more that 150 million PCs. Now if you're talking about the discrete GPU market then sure, much smaller market than consoles, but as integrated graphics solutions get more powerful and PC games don't push the boundaries because of consoles, more and more cheap PCs becoming half decent gaming machines every year.
It is quite clear what this thread is about. I am not talking integrated graphics chips here neither are other people in the thread.

These prices are out of line from what i would expect from amd. They are clearly way marked up which is fine but not really something amd has done in the past. I would expect this pricing from nvidia like the crazy 200 series pricing before ati came out with the 4000 series.

Hard to buy a card when you know damn well as soon as kepler comes out these will drop $100-$150. I think for people like myself who already don't like buying next gen gpus until both sides come out to play this pricing is just the guarantee that I wont be buying one until kepler is out. If i could pick up a 7990 for the normal dual gpu $700 price I probably would tho.

If AMD is going to keep these prices until their Kepler counter-parts are released then we're going to have to deal with them for a while. Considering the Kepler replacement for the GTX 580/570 isn't expected to arrive until late 2012 according to the current, rumored "leaked" Kepler roadmap.

Don't think nV is in a hurry to release their Kepler parts. ATi could've done well to have lower prices on these parts. Don't know what is the mindset in their strategy department but after the epic fail that was BD; they could've used some better cash flows instead of selling cards to less than 1% of PC gaming population.

amd, you missed the boat by about 50 bucks.. I want 7950 but I'm not giving you 450, I'm patient, I can wait..

Don't think nV is in a hurry to release their Kepler parts. ATi could've done well to have lower prices on these parts. Don't know what is the mindset in their strategy department but after the epic fail that was BD; they could've used some better cash flows instead of selling cards to less than 1% of PC gaming population.

If you don't like the price of something, speak with your wallet. Don't buy until the prices drop. I'm still kicking it with Crossfire 5850. I haven't bought top of the line ATi since the 9700pro. That was a good card back then.

Back