Complaints be damned, I really like GTA IV

GTA IV is the first GTA game I've played, and by jove, I really like it. I would say it is in fact the best $50 I've spent on a game in a long, long time. Probably the most enjoyable game since the Baldur's Gate series. And I've played games since my parents bought a Pong console (or whatever it was called) back in the 70's. Anyone old enough to remember that?

I'm old, but man, this reminds me of my teens and 20's. I may just take the wifey out to play darts and/or pool this weekend. Ha!

Onlyl thing I will miss is not driving the Ferrari. Damn minivan...

It's a good game, I don't know what people were complaining about.

However, I suck at driving the bikes and I'm on a mission which requires it. :(

Its definitely a great game.

For some reason I cant get higher then 30fps on my rig though. Not matter what. Even when I put settings to Lowest and res to 800x600 max I see is about 35. (where I think it should be around 60+ at lowest)

I think the poor framerate is why people are hating on it.

Remember the whole Crysis fiasco... :rolleyes:

he should still be getting better than that
exactly.

I see people with worse cpu then mine w/8800gt cranking out 40+fps.

There is no reason that 800x600 at the lowest possible setting cant get me a constant 25+ framerate.

Every other game I own including crysis runs perfectly at 30fps+ @ 1680x1050

It's a good game, I don't know what people were complaining about.

However, I suck at driving the bikes and I'm on a mission which requires it. :(

people are not complaining about the actual game. there complaining about the DRM and shit performance of it

Its definitely a great game.

For some reason I cant get higher then 30fps on my rig though. Not matter what. Even when I put settings to Lowest and res to 800x600 max I see is about 35. (where I think it should be around 60+ at lowest)

I think the poor framerate is why people are hating on it.

Remember the whole Crysis fiasco... :rolleyes:

That's bad, it really must be CPU limited. By the looks of my CPU percentage the game really is taxing all cores.

I'm getting this with a 8800GT. A far inferior card to your 260 GTX of course.

Statistics
Average FPS: 41.16
Duration: 37.20 sec
CPU Usage: 78%
System memory usage: 63%
Video memory usage: 92%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1680 x 1050 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: Medium
Render Quality: Very High
View Distance: 25
Detail Distance: 37

Hardware
Microsoft® Windows Vista" Ultimate
Service Pack 1
Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Video Driver version: 180.48
Audio Adapter: Speakers (Creative SB X-Fi)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz @3GHz

I had a few hiccupps but thats what PC gaming is.I worked through them and now cant put the game down..If you have realistic expectations of your rig and adjust GTA4 accordingly,all should go well.No one is getting 60fps but mid 40s is VERY playable and enjoyable.

I'm having a blast with the multiplayer. Aiming, especially aiming while driving, is infinitely better with the mouse and keyboard. The 32 player matches are ridiculous fun.

I had a few hiccupps but thats what PC gaming is.I worked through them and now cant put the game down..If you have realistic expectations of your rig and adjust GTA4 accordingly,all should go well.No one is getting 60fps but mid 40s is VERY playable and enjoyable.

Fair point, but every sodding game I have to work though the issues, and spend hours trawling through forums. FarCry 2, Dead Space, Fallout 3 to name a few recent ones. Indeed, that's PC gaming for you! But why no AA, limited gamepad support, not to mention SLi? The crap you have to install is also unacceptable. I'm sick of being treated like a piece of dirt (when I have paid for the game) just to combat piracy.

Fair point, but every sodding game I have to work though the issues, and spend hours trawling through forums. FarCry 2, Dead Space, Fallout 3 to name a few recent ones. Indeed, that's PC gaming for you! But why no AA, limited gamepad support, not to mention SLi? The crap you have to install is also unacceptable. I'm sick of being treated like a piece of dirt (when I have paid for the game) just to combat piracy.

get a console then

That's bad, it really must be CPU limited. By the looks of my CPU percentage the game really is taxing all cores.

I'm getting this with a 8800GT. A far inferior card to your 260 GTX of course.

Yea man. I believe that is the case.

I just reformatted last night. So when I get home from work I'm gonna put a Max Overclock on my CPU and my GFX card.
Clean out my zaleman cpu cooler and Install a fresh copy of GTA on a fresh Vista x64 install.

Hopefully I will see a little better results.

1 weird thing I noticed was that
800x600 lowest possible settings got me: average of ~17fps
1680x1050 highest possible setting got me: average ~22fps

The game performs better when maxed out then at rock bottom settings... :confused:

I love the game and I think this is the best GTAIV a person can get but I don't love all the glitches.

The game itself is great (have it for PS3) but its too bad that the PC version is bugged as much as it is. Hope they iron it out.

Yea man. I believe that is the case.

I just reformatted last night. So when I get home from work I'm gonna put a Max Overclock on my CPU and my GFX card.
Clean out my zaleman cpu cooler and Install a fresh copy of GTA on a fresh Vista x64 install.

Hopefully I will see a little better results.

1 weird thing I noticed was that
800x600 lowest possible settings got me: average of ~17fps
1680x1050 highest possible setting got me: average ~22fps

The game performs better when maxed out then at rock bottom settings... :confused:

the lower the res the more the bottleneck is on the CPU. Better to run max res, drop draw distance to 20 and see what you get. At some point an Intel Quad is going to be the only way to increase performance.

the lower the res the more the bottleneck is on the CPU. Better to run max res, drop draw distance to 20 and see what you get. At some point an Intel Quad is going to be the only way to increase performance.
I understand that. I will try a few more configurations once I get stuff straight.
Really, all I want is for this game to actually be playable on my rig. Thats it. No matter what its always low 20's. (If I knew it was gonna be this demanding I would of kept my PS3 copy)

...I guess I better start shopping for a better processor and Motherboard

(and, yes I am contemplating a full processor upgrade because of 1 game. I am [H]. )

If it's the first GTA you should definitely try Vice City and San Andreas. The new one takes itself too seriously to feel like a real GTA to me.

No way, but it would be nice in this day and age to have a gane that works well out of the box. That isn't too much to ask when slapping 50 bones down.

Maybe that's why most console gamers throw down 60 bones for their games;)

Also, like the person above, definitely pick up the older GTA games, they are loads of fun.

Back