Compilation of Best Deal [H]unting Tools

sleepeeg3

Supreme [H]ardness
All, I see many people posting "deals" on the boards that are easily beaten by a quick search on any of the top price search engines. Hopefully this list will save some fellow bargain hunters from wasting their time and money sifting through shady or junky hot deal threads. This also has a list of eTailer review sites that will help the savvy shopper from getting defrauded.

Remember to post the full price before rebate + approximate shipping on any deal you post! Sometimes shady dealers will tack on $30 worth of shipping that will kill a deal... Key is we should be here to help each other, not for self-promotion. :cool:

Full credit goes to GeneStarWind, formerly of EOCF, for putting the vast majority of this list together!!!

Comparison Shopping Search Engines
  • Pricegrabber Be warned: do not trust their site rating system
  • Pricewatch Granddaddy of tech websites, still excellent for tech price comparisons
  • Froogle Be sure to check the rating of any Froogle store on Resellerratings
  • Yahoo! Shopping Both Yahoo! and Froogle are good for cutthroat prices. Yahoo! has a few exclusive stores and you will sometimes get more hits than the catchall selection of stores on Froogle.
  • Shopping
  • Bizrate
  • c|net Shopper
Deal Hunting WebsitesEtailer Ratings
  • Reseller Ratings The best review system on the net. Their reviews require an invoice, which help prevent etailers from inflating their own stores ratings and keeping things honest
  • BBB (Better Business Bureau) An influential organization that is a good place to lodge a complaint. Also has site ratings and complaint histories.
  • BizRate Check their customer and product satisfaction rating here.
  • Yahoo! Shopping Read the actual reviews
  • FatWallet store ratings
Consumer ReviewsDo NOT rely on Newegg for reviews, because they are censored!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
nice, very helpful, I already knew like 90% of those sites already + the tips, but this is really helpful to a lot of people :)

It blows my mind how many people never use pricegrabber or froogle...

Hmm.. Newegg censors? I have written some VERY bad reviews on certain things and I can still see them there to this day.. Is this true?

Absolutely! That is why everything on their site is rated a 4. :rolleyes: They seem to let through 1 out of 10 bad reviews. I have posted 4 or 5. Only one ever went through. A 5 star rating automatically gets posted. Try it.

sleepeeg3 said:
Absolutely! That is why everything on their site is rated a 4. :rolleyes: They seem to let through 1 out of 10 bad reviews. I have posted 4 or 5. Only one ever went through. A 5 star rating automatically gets posted. Try it.

Really? I have posted a few bad reviews, all of them went through. And, on top of that, I have seen a lot of things rated pretty horrible on their site.

Maybe you broke the rules they post on the side of your review "no swearing, no links, no ___ " etc..Or you came off in a bad way..

Ah, ok. Interesting..

Newegg has lost a LOT of points in my book. High prices, very obvious price gouging, where is the Newegg of old that used to be MUCH cheaper then everyone else?

sleepeeg3 said:

That's not true. There are a lot of poorly rated things on their site. From what I have seen they'll only remove stuff if it's give some !!!!!! bais review or it's just totally ridicules. There are plenty of products with less that four eggs.

Astrogiblet said:
Ah, ok. Interesting..

Newegg has lost a LOT of points in my book. High prices, very obvious price gouging, where is the Newegg of old that used to be MUCH cheaper then everyone else?
I still like the 'egg, I just understand they are a business. They let me return a motherboard that they had listed as non-refundable (probably the only one with that exception). On top of that, since I was a long-time customer, they waived the return fee! :D They still have great CS. They also changed the name of their "Refurbished" items to "Open Box," a long time complaint of mine. No store is perfect, though...

sleepeeg3 said:
I still like the 'egg, I just understand they are a business. They let me return a motherboard that they had listed as non-refundable (probably the only one with that exception). On top of that, since I was a long-time customer, they waived the return fee! :D They still have great CS. They also changed the name of their "Refurbished" items to "Open Box," a long time complaint of mine. No store is perfect, though...

CS is great, yes. I have a contact there that continually hooks me up whenever I need something, however, their prices have been considerably higher on a lot of things then other companies.

And the obvious gouging is what first started pissing me off. When the Abit Crosshair boards came out they were $230 or $250.. within 2 weeks they had dropped the price down to the normal $210.

Same with other motherboards I've seen. The quad core kentsfield intels? Everybody was selling them for $1000-$1100.. Newegg had them for $1400+.

It used to be if somebody had something for $1000, Newegg had it for $900. Thats not nearly the case anymore. I think that they are making money off of the trust that they've built up after so many years.. Which is morally wrong IMO.

Although, what am I saying, I just bought a 400GB HDD from them today! :p

They were the cheapest on that, at least..

i'd buy from newegg for 5 dollars more any day of the week than some no name company off pricewatch.

That five dollars is worth the piece of mind - consider it insurance against a possible crappy transaction.

Archaea said:
i'd buy from newegg for 5 dollars more any day of the week than some no name company off pricewatch.

That five dollars is worth the piece of mind - consider it insurance against a possible crappy transaction.

Well yea, definitely for $5 more.. But we are talking $50 or hundreds more..

oh, I thought it said Deer Hunting.. lol. I was hoping to score some hunting stuff really cheap. :( :p

Good list. I would add:

secretprices.com - price searching engine, can have better prices than the rest; they include coupons

gotapex.com - THE site for dell deals, mediocre for everything else

The anandtech hot deals forum isn't even really worth mentioning these days. It's been castrated for years; that's why fatwallet was originally founded.

CyberDeus-RagDoll said:
/edit - THANK YOU FOR THE TECHONWEB LINK!!! I JUST CANCELLED MY TIGERDIRECT ORDER!
Dunno if you noticed... but they are showing temporarily out of stock...

w1retap said:
oh, I thought it said Deer Hunting.. lol. I was hoping to score some hunting stuff really cheap. :( :p
That's what I thought it was going to be. I just saw the last two words, Hunting tools, before I clicked.

BladeVenom said:
That's what I thought it was going to be. I just saw the last two words, Hunting tools, before I clicked.

i guess i was another sucker...deal sure looks like deer when the word is next to hunting :)

nice post, tho. will add this one to my bookmarks.

Well bump if you find this useful or like deer hunting! :p Post any more deal sites that you use, if you have 'em.

places i check often are the openbox section of newegg, and anandtech's real time price engine (RTPE)

gangolfus said:
This should get stickied.

Its already posted in the announcement, granted its not as in depth as this one but still...its there...and anyone can do leg work for a "deal site".

Bad but useful thread. Makes me save, but it also makes me spend money...

Took me a few seconds to find this thread.

The search here at [H] takes too long :(

I would also like to have this made a sticky.

Thanks.

Back