Competitive Gamers Look Here Mouse Reviews and more

• Thread starter Deleted member 201992
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 201992

I'm waiting for the blackwidow Ultimate mechanical keyboard myself and am going to stick with the deathadder over the mamba or imperator although the imperator is decent.

For instance in 1.6/CSS I use 2.4 Sens, 1800dpi, notch 3 in windows deathadder on a rough func 1030r. Acer 120hz monitor and Sennheiser hd650's with a nice little dot amp.
Mouse accel and vsync are strict no-no's. I've seen a handful of kids who are good with accel.
What setup's do you guys use for games?

D79Ph.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
steelpad 4d / func1030 + hyperglides + ms 3.0 was a killer combo back in the day for CS, personally I'm stuck with abyssus and zowie G-RF

I suggest getting a steelseries 6vg2 keyboard instead if you want a mechanical one, afaik razer black widow will use cherry blues MX and those kind of switches are not suited for hardcore gaming.

Puretrak Talent (waiting on my QCK+ to come in), Razer Deathadder 3G(450dpi@500hz) w/ puretrak feet, Kensington Slimtype, Sennheiser HD555, Viewsonic 24" 60hz...

If you check out the picture thread you can find my post that shows it all.

I'm playing QuakeLive with 4.1 sensitivity, 0.2 mouseaccel, in_mouse 2. (windows sens doesn't effect the game)

Last edited:
Cherry Blues are awesome, love mine for gaming. All my gear is in my sig. I run my G700 at 0 speed in setpoint at 5600dpi @1000 poll/s in Max Gaming mode)

Last edited:
Puretrak Talent
Intellimouse Optical
Windows sensitivity 6/11, pointer precision off.
Source sensitivity 4

I have an Imperator too. The Twin-Eye sensor is worthless.

Steelseries 6Gv2 (formerly a Filco tenkeyless with Cherry MX browns)
Steelseries Xai
Steelseries QcK mousepad (formerly a 4HD, and a func 1040 before that)

The Xai has two mouse sensitivity settings that can be changed on the fly. On the high setting I have the game sensitivity to 1 and the mouse sensitivity to 3300 DPI. Makes everything very very smooth and accurate. When I'm on the desktop I use a normal 850 DPI and 6 sensitivity since I don't want the cursor flying everywhere. No mouse acceleration, of course.

Last edited:
u2311
DT880's

ABS M1 - Soon to be Das Ultimate
Death Adder
PureTrak Talent

CSS:

1800dpi, 6/11 windows, 0.5 in game

I'm curious why you would go with a black widow keyboard. They are blue switches(which you may like) and build quality isn't as high as the other mechanical keyboards. You can get a better quality keyboard for same price as black widow ultimate minus the lights(but who needs lights).

I like lights for late night gaming. Currently just playing HoN, LoL, CS:S and QL.

For gaming I don't need lights. For typing I do.

BW ulti is is a pos like every other razer kb,save the money and get a steelseries 6gv2 its the only real keyboard made for fps gaming since it has cherry black's which are amazing

the logitech illuminated keyboard, MX revo on a $10 pad with a nice cushiony wrist gel, and some $20 2.1 speakers from walmart

G19
DeathAdder 3.5g
Destructor mat

no acceleration
1800dpi
1000hz
sensitivity7 (locked x&y)

BW ulti is is a pos like every other razer kb,save the money and get a steelseries 6gv2 its the only real keyboard made for fps gaming since it has cherry black's which are amazing

I like how you say it is a pos, but with nothing to back it up. Or simply because the 6gv2 has cherry blacks, that automatically make's it the best. Go read some more biased opinions so you can engage in fanboyism.

i don't believe keyboards matter, the only thing that i like in features in keyboards is if it has the buttons on the top so you can change songs. Maybe a truly slim keyboard might help the responsiveness. I also use an Intellimouse 3.0 which has served me well, and you can change its polling to 1000hz. I also add in a crt and no vsync and turn off the pre-rendered frames in nvidia and you have the cheapest and best possible setup imo.

Mouse accel and vsync are strict no-no's.

VSync is fine. In fact, in my own testing I've found I generally play better with it enabled. It's something to do with the consistency of the screen - tearing annoys me and seems to confuse me.

The problem most people have with VSync, at least standard double-buffered VSync, is its tendency to cause frame rate dips which are interpreted as input lag. The ultimate solution is to upgrade your video card OR lower your settings to allow you to stay consistently at 60 FPS. You can also use D3DOverrider to enable triple buffering, or enable it from the NVIDIA control panel in OpenGL games if you have an NVIDIA card. I assume AMD has a similar option. The problem with Direct3D triple buffering implementations, including D3DOverrider, is that it's a render ahead queue and not "real" triple buffering like OpenGL uses. This was confirmed by the author of D3DOverrider.

I've optimized my setup as much as possible to keep input lag to a minimum. There are certainly some other steps I could take, particularly switching to a CRT, but I do have future plans for my current setup. CRTs have large bezels and I intend on a triple-display setup in the near future using two more of the same LCDs I have (NEC EA231WMi).

What setup's do you guys use for games?

SteelSeries Xai (1000 Hz, acceleration and prediction disabled) + Ratpadz XT + Apple Wired Keyboard + NEC EA231WMi at 60 Hz

My setup:

Logitech G500 2300dpi OS native, 6/11 Windows with max weights
G19
Razer Destructor
NEC EA231wmi EDID override for 75hz
No Vsync
Astro A40's w/ Titanium Fatal1ty (POS creative drivers, but all I can use really)

Source I use 3 sens.

VSync is fine. In fact, in my own testing I've found I generally play better with it enabled. It's something to do with the consistency of the screen - tearing annoys me and seems to confuse me.

The problem most people have with VSync, at least standard double-buffered VSync, is its tendency to cause frame rate dips which are interpreted as input lag. The ultimate solution is to upgrade your video card OR lower your settings to allow you to stay consistently at 60 FPS. You can also use D3DOverrider to enable triple buffering, or enable it from the NVIDIA control panel in OpenGL games if you have an NVIDIA card. I assume AMD has a similar option. The problem with Direct3D triple buffering implementations, including D3DOverrider, is that it's a render ahead queue and not "real" triple buffering like OpenGL uses. This was confirmed by the author of D3DOverrider.

I've optimized my setup as much as possible to keep input lag to a minimum. There are certainly some other steps I could take, particularly switching to a CRT, but I do have future plans for my current setup. CRTs have large bezels and I intend on a triple-display setup in the near future using two more of the same LCDs I have (NEC EA231WMi).

SteelSeries Xai (1000 Hz, acceleration and prediction disabled) + Ratpadz XT + Apple Wired Keyboard + NEC EA231WMi at 60 Hz

No, the idea is that Vsync is going to limit your FPS to whatever your refresh rate is, and if we're talking about competitive PC gaming, you're basically just talking about CS/Quake/BW/SC2 and maaaaaybe CoD (but not really.)

In BW/SC2 it doesn't matter much, but in CS/Q3 you don't want your FPS capped by refresh rate. I guess with an old CRT you could be fine in CS 1.6, but there were also issues specific to smoke grenades and Vsync. I have no idea how it works with a 125hz LCD, since I don't have one, but if we're strictly talking about competition, I just play it safe and keep my FPS as high as possible (not the most powerful computer anyways.) For casual playing, the tearing definitely bugs me as well so I keep it on.

For RTS, I use an Abyssus + Goliathus Control. I have extra Everglide skatez but I haven't needed them yet.
For FPS, Deathadder (original) + Steelseries 5L or QcK+ (5L isn't exactly portable.) My MX518 broke and I couldn't overclock my IME3.0 in Win7 64 RC1, which is why I bought the DA in the first place.

Keyboard: Steelseries 6gv2
Headset: Steelseries Siberia v1 ($15 on woot :D) or Sennheiser HD280.

Last edited:
I don't think it should make a difference as long as your FPS stays at or above the refresh rate. Your monitor can't display those extra frames anyway.

Out of curiosity, why do you use two different mice for different games?

Different style of grip and movement. If I had had the Abyssus first, I'm not sure I would've cared enough to switch over (although getting the extra 2 buttons is nice), but the DA is too big for me to play BW/SC2 with.

G-700 mouse at 500 polling rate, there was no seen difference in performance at 500 vs. 1000. keyboard is logitech wireless illuminated keyboard k800 keyboard for the short keystrokes...makes me slightly quicker to react and a major advantage is endurance, my hands dont get as tired as quickly with this keyboard and the connection is as robust as the G-700 mouse.

Back