Competition with ISP's

LeftSide

Gawd
My buddy just got google fiber a couple of weeks ago. A comcast rep came to his door yesterday and offered him every cable channel (including Stars and HBO), Home security, Home Phone, 250mb/s internet, and they would cover the cost of breaking the google contract all for $120 a month. :eek:

I just thought I would let everyone know what competition in the ISP space looks like.

6 months later they would jack it up to $450 per month and claim the $120 was a introductory price

And that's just with 2 ISPs being available. Imagine if anyone was allowed to start an ISP and roll out anywhere. Imagine having 10+ ISPs to choose from. Now that would be pretty awesome.

Though I think here in Canada competition is allowed for ISPs as there are typically like 3 ISPs available in an area. It's not like the states where ISPs lobby against it to prevent competition. This is probably why it's taking so long for Google Fibre as they have to lobby harder than their competition to be allowed to enter the market.

Just like water and electricity, data cables should be community property and rented to anyone wanting to become an ISP at the same price.

All the bullshit would stop.

Having lived in places with a bunch of ISP choices, it's not always great. Only one bothered to offer faster and faster speeds, the local cable provider. Local telco reduced their speed offerings down to 3Mb (they had ADSL2 DSLAMs so they could offer up to 24Mb), and the other local ISPs continued to offer a max of 3 to 5 Mb/s while the cable provider was rolling out 100Mb+. And, where I live now, it's the same situation, Comcast offers 100Mb+, while the local telco barely does 3Mb service along with the other choices I've got.

Having lived in places with a bunch of ISP choices, it's not always great. Only one bothered to offer faster and faster speeds, the local cable provider. Local telco reduced their speed offerings down to 3Mb (they had ADSL2 DSLAMs so they could offer up to 24Mb), and the other local ISPs continued to offer a max of 3 to 5 Mb/s while the cable provider was rolling out 100Mb+. And, where I live now, it's the same situation, Comcast offers 100Mb+, while the local telco barely does 3Mb service along with the other choices I've got.

It may not be "great" always, but it's definitely better than a monopoly... imagine that same situation where only 1 telco offered anything and it was still at 1mb speeds and cost you twice as much as what they currently charge... that's what it's like without ANY competition.... no incentive to improve or reduce rates.

Don't support Poopcast. They've had their time of screwing the pooch, now it's time for them to suffer! :)

+1 Google

Back