Competition Heats up in the Global Gaming Notebook Market

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Asustek and MSI have previously dominated the global gaming notebook sector, but that is changing according to Digitimes. First tier notebook makers such as HP, Dell, Acer and Lenovo have unveiled new gaming notebooks that are directly competing with the offerings from MSI and Asustek. Lenovo has been successful enough to capture 30% of the Chinese market. Even second tier manufacturers such as Razer and Gigabyte have developed new notebooks that compete favorably.

As Asustek and MSI are facing increasing competition pressure from both the first- and second-tier rivals and future newcomers, it is crucial for them to work out effective ways to beat rivals in the entry-level models that see the largest shipment volumes, industry sources indicated.

In my experience (3-4 gaming laptops) the video cards never last more than a couple of years and replacement cards cost $4-600 for 2 year old card and there are no upgrade options.

Maybe they have gotten better in the last few years but anytime somebody asks me about them I have successfully talked them out of it except one. Their laptop is about 18 months old now but they also built a gaming desktop 8 months ago and now never use the laptop.

Easy solution: Give us more Ryzen laptops!
MSI and ASUS, please make desktop replacement ryzen laptops. Dell and HP will never do it because they are still stuck in the infinite land of intel. The Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC is $1500 and outperforms a $3500 dell precision and HP Zbook. But it doesn't feature an MXM slot for configurable graphics or quadro / firepro graphics as an option. Make it happen ASUS!

Picked up two Acer Nitro 5 manufacturer refurbished laptops last month for $465 each shipped. 8300H 4c/8t cpu, 1x8gb 2400mhz ddr4, 256gb nvme, 15.6" 1080p ips, and gtx 1050 ti. I have to agree that in general these feel old sooner than regular laptops and they really aren't upgradable, but I thought this was too good of a steal to pass up.

There is an HP laptop with a 6 core i7 and a 1060 6 GB that MicroCenter has been selling like hotcakes for $999.00. The equivalent Dell is $200.00 more and runs hotter/slower from reviews I am seeing.

The day will come when there will be no difference between your desktop and your notebook/phone/tablet/whatever in terms of horsepower.

That day is not today. That day is probably not coming all that soon, either.

Competition is good I guess.

Still, no one will find me gaming on a laptop, any laptop, any time soon.

I have a laptop, but it is an enterprise model with integrated GPU only, and I never game on it. All of my gaming is on my desktop at my desk. I don't care for laptop, mobile device or living room gaming.

I've bought 2 gaming laptops in my life and I've regretted buying both of them. They've both been overpriced and under powered compared to their desktop counterparts.

The day will come when there will be no difference between your desktop and your notebook/phone/tablet/whatever in terms of horsepower.

That day is not today. That day is probably not coming all that soon, either.

Probably some day, but there will still be the issue of thermal envelope. For this to happen, we are going to need to get top the point where thermal output and power use are not limiting factors for performance parts. I'm not convinced that will ever be the case.

We are moving in that direction, but that's more because we have shared architectures across laptops and desktops, and more and more they are being designed for perf/watt, rather than absolute performance, which limits the max clock of the design for the desktop version, in order to improve the mobile version. I'm not sure we will ever get all the way there to the point where there is no benefit at all from cranking up voltage and power in order to get a higher clock. The differences likely will continue to shrink though.

Even so, the ergonomics of a desktop will still win.

To add, I will always prefer gaming on my desktop. But I picked up those laptops so when I went to hang out with my friends, we could play pc games. My friend whose house we go to has his pc, and this way I have a laptop for me and for another friend to be able to play, without lugging my pc over there. A lot of times it will be just us three so it works out great.

I've bought 2 gaming laptops in my life and I've regretted buying both of them. They've both been overpriced and under powered compared to their desktop counterparts.

"Breaking news: Small form factor cost more and has performance disadvantages versus large format systems. Stay tuned, more at 11."

Well, duh...

hmmm... i see no mention of apple and their new laptops..

*snickers*

In my experience (3-4 gaming laptops) the video cards never last more than a couple of years and replacement cards cost $4-600 for 2 year old card and there are no upgrade options.

Maybe they have gotten better in the last few years but anytime somebody asks me about them I have successfully talked them out of it except one. Their laptop is about 18 months old now but they also built a gaming desktop 8 months ago and now never use the laptop.
Nope, still a problem. I have had issues with 2 Sager and an Asus laptop over the past 8 years where the GPU burns out due to heat cycles; I've been able to temporarily resurrect them via baking the GPU in the oven, they last anywhere from 6 months - a year more until they are toast again. Running 2 years strong on a MSI laptop with 1070 GTX atm, but that reminds me, I probably need to pop it open and reapply thermal paste to it though. I'm skeptical I'd be able to survive another 2 years without this GPU dying too though. I think the average time has been around 24-36 months before GPU death.

Al of my GPUs that burn out have been Nvidia... be interested to see if the new AMD ones fare any better.

CPU/mobo on the other hand seems very heat tolerant.

Performance difference with my desktop counterparts with identical desktop pieces is negligible. I'm still running everything maxed out with all the Anti-aliasing, etc. 1080P mind you, but that's just fine for me, I'm not that [H].. yet. Couch gaming appeases the SO.

Back