Compatible PCIe 4.0 z490 Boards

Zicro

Weaksauce
Is there a list of compatible PCIe 4.0 z490 Boards? Yes I know I'll supposedly have to wait for Intel 11th gen cpu's I'm just looking to "future proof" lul.

google says the taichi

The first M.2 horizontal space has connecting points on both sides, 3.0 or 4.0. The PCI-e slot has Steel Slot GEN 4 printed on it.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    696.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    193.4 KB · Views: 0
I would think that all (most?) should be able to run it fine. Intel did this before with the move from PCIe 2.0 to 3.0 between Sandy and Ivy Bridge. Both were compatible with the board, but you got 2.0 if you used Sandy Bridge and 3.0 if you used Ivy Bridge. I think the plan is definitely to move to PCIe 4.0 with Rocket Lake so compatible boards which are released now should be compatible with the next gen features.

Idk Asus doesn't mention compatibility with PCIe 4.0. They're usually my go to for motherboards. I'm kinda tempted to go team red now though.

The first M.2 horizontal space has connecting points on both sides, 3.0 or 4.0. The PCI-e slot has Steel Slot GEN 4 printed on it.

Perhaps that's the reason of the price.
Personally buying a mobo these days with out PCI4, high end, I think it's silly.
You can argue there's no performance gain on the GFX, but once you are talking about storage, they always benefit, even more going forward.

So some boards may not support PCIe 4? WAT? This is really unclear on the Z490 boards, plus one cannot test any board right now, as in a given board having problems with PCIe 4. How would the manufacturers know or even test it themselves? Unless Intel gave them CPU samples 6 months+ ago. There is really nothing on Intels launch that gives real confidence in future capability if any dealing with this.

For gaming, PCIe 4 may come more into play once games taking advantage of UE 5 massive on demand datasets for Geometry/Assets/Extreme Textures come to PC's -> 2+ years, maybe a few games late next year but I doubt it. Next Gen console remarkably huge SSD speeds and very high bandwidth capability of the GPU will push for massive data bandwidth to and from the GPU and SSD(s). Games in how they are programmed, reliance on fast data in the future may make PCIe 4 mandatory but no crystal ball here - could be 3-5 years before a real need.

At this point if you want guaranteed pcie 4.0, go AMD until MB manufacturers can clarify it works for sure you're just guessing. That said, there isn't currently much noticeable gain in performance with NVME drives or GPUs. This could change eventually and depends on your specific work loads, but if you are gaming you'll not notice a 1 sec longer load, but may notice an extra 5-10% fps. If your work loads are stressing moar cores and hitting the SSD hard, then it may be worth it. Obviously I can't tell th future but it seems streaming game assets from disk seems to be highly likely.

TL;DR: it probably doesn't matter for at least a few more years, and it highly depends on your use cases.

Reactions: noko
like this
Perhaps that's the reason of the price.
Personally buying a mobo these days with out PCI4, high end, I think it's silly.
You can argue there's no performance gain on the GFX, but once you are talking about storage, they always benefit, even more going forward.
There's very little benefit going from SATA to NVMe; going from NVMe to slightly faster NVMe is going to show up in storage-specific benchmarks and that's about it.

PCIe 4.0 is more about keeping up with the Jones' right now; only very, very specific workloads will provide a measurable benefit.

That all said, no reason to skip it if it's there.

There's very little benefit going from SATA to NVMe; going from NVMe to slightly faster NVMe is going to show up in storage-specific benchmarks and that's about it.

PCIe 4.0 is more about keeping up with the Jones' right now; only very, very specific workloads will provide a measurable benefit.

That all said, no reason to skip it if it's there.
Thinking further on this, if a PCIe 4.0 x4 drive was fully consuming the bandwidth of PCIe 4.0 x4 and transferring it to a PCIe 3.0 16x GPU, it would only use PCIe 3 8x bandwidth, leaving 8x bandwidth for everything else, if compressed and decompressed by CPU vice graphics card then more. So in reality even if streaming from a SSD to GPU, it does not seem like it would directly slow down or exceed the bandwidth even with PCIe 3.0 16x. Maybe 3+ years or something. Now having two GPU's and halving the PCIe to 8x may become more of a factor, that is if you are using two GPUs.

Back