Compatibility question (CPU and Motherboard)

cuemasterfl

Supreme [H]ardness
I've had a motherboard from this computer (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...portFAQ&prodSeriesId=3942799&prodTypeId=12454) for a while. The CPU is dead, and I am thinking about buying a new CPU and putting a decent machine together.

I want to buy this CPU (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/AMD+-+P...logy/1004922.p?id=1218207309242&skuId=1004922).

Will that CPU work on this motherboard? Or do I need to get a new motherboard, too? I'd rather use the one I have. I'm asking because I know I can't return the CPU once I've opened the box and installed it.

On the processor upgrade section, it doesn't say it supports anything above a Quad Core, but the Six core hadn't been invented at the time that machine was released, so I'm hoping....

TIA.

This is admittedly only an educated guess, but I would say no because AM2+ motherboards do support AM3 chips but only if the Bios is upgraded. I didn't see a Bios update on HP.com for your computer, so I think the answer is no. Plus, they only list AM2+ processors as upgrade options on the page with just the motherboard specifications.

Anyone disagree?

If not possible, please recommend a motherboard that will work with that CPU.

This is admittedly only an educated guess, but I would say no because AM2+ motherboards do support AM3 chips but only if the Bios is upgraded. I didn't see a Bios update on HP.com for your computer, so I think the answer is no. Plus, they only list AM2+ processors as upgrade options on the page with just the motherboard specifications.

Anyone disagree?

Correction: they only list older AM2+ processors. There are Phenom II processors that are AM2+. It is very doubtful that the Phenom II x6 will work, the best that might work is a Phenom II x4. I would get a Phenom II x4 955 or 940 (both really cheap now, about $100) and pop it in your motherboard and see if it works. There are reports of Phenom II x4 processors (both AM2+ and AM3) working in older AM2 motherboards even though the motherboard's bios has not been updated to support them.

You can also try cheaper Athlon II's.

Anyone disagree?

Not to mention that the power supply would have to be upgraded. HP only puts in PSU that are just enough to feed the OEM hardware, typically a 300w unit. Then should the socket support the CPU, the capacitors and onboard power may not be enough.

I got this board M4A88TD-V EVO Looks Identical to the other one but it officially supports X6 processors. It is a damned good board as long as Crossfire isn't your thing.

Not to mention that the power supply would have to be upgraded. HP only puts in PSU that are just enough to feed the OEM hardware, typically a 300w unit. Then should the socket support the CPU, the capacitors and onboard power may not be enough.

According to the listed specs, it is 300w, but I figured if it can handle the older Phenoms (which often ran at 125W), it should be able to handle a new processor.

What about the link I posted above? That combo looks decent, I know that if I buy a combo that there's no worries about them working together.

What about the link I posted above? That combo looks decent, I know that if I buy a combo that there's no worries about them working together.

The combo itself is fine, but the motherboard requires DDR3 memory and the specs for the HP indicate you have DDR2 memory, so if you bought that combo, you would need to purchase DDR3 memory to go with it. At that point, you are starting to build a new system and that opens a whole new universe of options.

Well, I have around $400 to spend, and although I probably don't NEED a six core, I like to make sure any computer I will be putting together will satisfy my needs for a few years. I already have a 750g HD from the old machine, nice video card which I bought separately, so I would be putting these components together to make a new machine.

I just thought about this too. What about the case? My HP case may not have the slots in the right places for the new motherboard.

I just thought about this too. What about the case? My HP case may not have the slots in the right places for the new motherboard.

It does. Even though most mobo's for desktops are developed for the machine they for the most part stick to ATX specifications on mid and full tower PC's.

The real worry is going to be Power supply. Some use proprietary PSU connectors.

As for the two CPU's you linked, the Best Buy one in the OP and the New Egg one, both are the same CPU.

What you want at this point without new memory is an AM2+ mobo that supports a thuban. This will allow you to wait and throw the CPU into a new board/memory later, and then even later throw in a BD instead.

Edit: I think I can understand your earlier point. Is that faceplate removable or is it one full piece that can't be removed. Might be easier to tell looking at the back of it and whether it looks different then the case at that point.

The power supply I am using is not the one that came with the HP machine. It came with a 300w power supply, but right now I am using a 550w power supply I got from Tiger Direct, or Newegg (can't remember...).

I believe the back of the computer is connected to the side, if you know what I mean. It's not a separate plate. I'm at work now so can't confirm this.

The power supply I am using is not the one that came with the HP machine. It came with a 300w power supply, but right now I am using a 550w power supply I got from Tiger Direct, or Newegg (can't remember...).

I believe the back of the computer is connected to the side, if you know what I mean. It's not a separate plate. I'm at work now so can't confirm this.

If it is you can always cut it out.

I also have two other cases in my closet, so I am sure one of them would accommodate me.

I also have two other cases in my closet, so I am sure one of them would accommodate me.

The you should be set there. Though the other case dependant on type might allow for a full ATX mobo if you want to go that route.

I know this is not what you were asking for help with and that the entire purpose of your post was to see if you could use some old hardware but if your HP board is good and you have the time to try, why not put it up for sale and see what you can get for it first? Figure out what you think it is worth (if anything, I have no idea) or what you would want to get out of it and see if there were and prospective buyers - here, craigslist, etc. If so, sell it and move on. If not, then work with it.

Reason I say that is because you mentioned you had about a $400 budget. For that money you can get alot of basic machine these days and might be better off just going with new components. Especially if you were able to get anything for your old mobo. Sounds like you already have a case, a HDD and a more recent 550 power supply (I think you said). If it were me I would put the board and RAM up for sale and start anew. Heck, the RAM is probably worth more than the mobo. Last I checked, DDR2, being the old standard, is actually more expensive to buy new than DDR3 right now. Not by much but still...

My 2 cents anyway.

I would also try and wait to see what bulldozer has to offer in ~2 months. There really isn't too much of a point in building an AMD system right now.

Tsumi: I am sure Bulldozer will be incredibly expensive, and more than I can spend. Right now I can just afford a six core upgrade as described above.

Beto: Thanks, I will more than likely do as you suggest and sell those parts I no longer need.

Tsumi: I am sure Bulldozer will be incredibly expensive, and more than I can spend. Right now I can just afford a six core upgrade as described above.

Beto: Thanks, I will more than likely do as you suggest and sell those parts I no longer need.

Tsumi has a good point. No way to know for sure but I don't think Bulldozer will be "incredibly expensive." If Bulldozer is meant to compete with SandyBridge then I would seriously doubt that you couldn't get a Bulldozer CPU for around $200 (isn't that the price of the 6 core Thuban you are looking at?) Heck you can get an Intel 2500K for less than $200 right now. Maybe I am wrong about expected Bulldozer prices and others can correct me if so.

We don't know performance numbers and release pricing. There will also be at launch 4 and 6 core count BD's. I would at least try to keep the machine upgradeable for it.

I assure you that if I get a Six core CPU now, I won't mess with the Bulldozer. I'll be keeping the system for a couple of years at least. Six core is plenty fast enough for me. Plus, I'm impatient, and don't know if I can wait until June ;)

I just want to make sure this RAM is ok with this Mobo/CPU combo:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231308

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.628452

This is what I will be ordering later. This more than satisfies my needs. Thanks.

If I was you I would buy a board that will support AM3+ CPUs. I checked ASUS's website and that board you have chosen is NOT on their supported list. I would get this Gigabyte motherboard. Not only does it support future CPUs, but I like having IGP in case I need a back-up while I'm RMA my current graphics card. I know you don't need a Bulldozer CPU now but this will save you from buying a new board in a year for your next upgrade.
I agree with getting 1333mhz RAM also. Any questions I'll check back.

edit: Actually, if you check the Egg they have some G-skill 2x4GB 1600mhz Ram that goes on sale for about the price of the stuff you picked out. It works good with giga boards too.

I just want to make sure this RAM is ok with this Mobo/CPU combo:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231308

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.628452

This is what I will be ordering later. This more than satisfies my needs. Thanks.

Honestly neither are great. Ram as already pointed out & I dont think a 1055t is worth 190 bucks anymore.. If you want to go this route I would look at the asrock 870 board (better board for futre expansion anyway since it has x8 x8 pcie slots for crossfire) and a used 1055t from the FS/T forums for 140-150 as I have been seeing them going lately. & if your prepared to buy the ram like RIGHT NOW then get this & use the coupon code listed (expires today) & get 8gb of faster ram for less

The cpu in the combo he listed is a 1075T, not a 1055T. Though, $279 isn't a bad deal.

The cpu in the combo he listed is a 1075T, not a 1055T. Though, $279 isn't a bad deal.

Which still ain't worth the cost. Even the nico in that combo isn't worth the money with the discount compared to the asrock extreme 3 for its 90 bucks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Which still ain't worth the cost. Even the nico in that combo isn't worth the money with the discount compared to the asrock extreme 3 for its 90 bucks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Now that I have looked, that combo isn't such a great deal.

1055T (200MHz less than 1075T) + Gigabyte GA-880GMA AM3+ board for $274
The 200MHz difference isn't that bad
Instead of the 1055T, you can go up to a 1100T and combine it with the Gigabyte board for a total of $323

Or you can go for a i5-2500K + Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3-B3 board for $348

Now that I have looked, that combo isn't such a great deal.

1055T (200MHz less than 1075T) + Gigabyte GA-880GMA AM3+ board for $274
The 200MHz difference isn't that bad
Instead of the 1055T, you can go up to a 1100T and combine it with the Gigabyte board for a total of $323

Or you can go for a i5-2500K + Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3-B3 board for $348

all better then the original combo. But board wise the ASRock 870 EXTREME3 is a better value with more features then anything else within 30 bucks of the same cost (being as it has actual crossfire support not that x16 x4 crap that most value boards do). And paired with a 1055t from the FS/T forums for 130 your at 220 for an x6 combo with crossfire support as well as SATA 6gbps & usb 3.0.. Performance per cost wise I think that would be top. At the cost of the original combo I would go with a sandy bridge rig (even an i5-2400 & an h67 board would be better performance per dollar then an overclocked 1075t so it wouldnt be hard to beat the original price as well)

Well, my stuff arrives today, and I am sure I will be more than happy with it. I've been using a dual core, 4 year old system, so I know it will be a massive step up. I got everything (RAM, CPU, Mobo) for a total of $352 which left me with a bit of money left over. I appreciate the input :)

Back