Comparison of mining on AMD Fury X vs mining on 1080TI with nicehash.

Archaea

[H]F Junkie
I've had a couple Fury X and recently started mining (last couple weeks). I picked up three 1080TI and two arrived last night. I swapped out the cards and here are my initial observations.

Fury X cards:
http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/...md-radeon-r9-furyx-liquid-cooled-r9-fury-4qfa

1080TI cards:
http://www.pny.com/geforce-gtx-1080ti-blower-edition-2

It's more profitable with nicehash to mine on the 1080TI pair of cards, and they are less power hungry too.

With the Fury X cards I was cutting power by about 20% for mining using AMD Wattman, much more of a cut than that and the nicehash miner would crash. With the 1080TI I'm cutting power by about 35% for mining using MSI Afterburner, much more of a cut than that and the nicehash miner crashes.

So power use is much lower on the 1080TI (stock Fury X at full 100% load is 275 watts, stock 1080TI at full 100% load is 250 watts). Since the 1080TI mines faster, uses less watts stock, and in addition can be have it's power cut back an additional 35% without much affecting performance - it's a winner overall for this mining challenge.

HOWEVER: Disadvantages to 1080TI mining I've seen so far are noteworthy!

1) My desktop user experience with mining on the 1080TI pair is worse. YouTube videos skip frames and stutter for instance. Whereas, with Fury X you couldn't even tell you were mining when the pair of GPUs were mining. I don't know if this is a difference in the mining algorithm or what. (Fury X pair was using Dagger Hashimoto, and the 1080TI are using Lyra2Rev2 and Equihash. Any suggestions here? I'd prefer to be able to use my PC normally when mining with nice hash even at the expense of a small amount of mining power. It's not terrible with the 1080TI, but you can tell it isn't a flawless desktop experience.
2) Fans on 1080TI (even at 65% power usage) are louder than Fury X and temps higher. (though certainly more heat is generated in the room with the Fury X)
3) you can't mine at full TDP or overclocked with the 1080TI (at least without an external fan blowing into the case. Even with the case side off the cards will thermal throttle at 85* if run at stock speeds/voltages. (Not a problem with the watercooled Fury X --- though I chose to undervolt on the Fury X too simply to save power and heat generation.)

At full stock speeds the Fury X will mine at 65* and 52% fan usage (but there is a LOT of heat generation in the room)
when TDP is lowered 20% they mine at say 64* and 32% fan usage (less heat generation in the room)

At full stock speeds the 1080TI will mine at 85* (and then throttle core speed slightly, then boost, repeat)
At 65% TDP the 1080TI will mine at 66* with fan speed manually set to 66%. The result of tuning is 325 watts power use instead of 500 watts power use as stated in nicehash Equihash miner after being tuned. The the difference in mining speed is very minimal as you can see in the screenshots. So far changing RAM speed doesn't seem to affect operation. For some unknown reason lowering core speed on the slider actually increases heat on my cards? Seems like a bug. Raising core speed increases hashing speed though -- so that's why you see the tuned 1080TI with a 200Mhz manual bump to core.

Stock Fury X pair
Stock Fury X Pair.JPG

Mining tuned Fury X pair - (-20% power) (don't pay attention to the payout rate (that is variable)) - the MH/s is the stat to look at. I often saw the tuned at 57 or 58MH/s -- as compared to about 59MH/s stock. This is the screenshot I have though.
Tuned Fury X Pair.JPG

Stock 1080TI Pair
Stock 1080TI pair.JPG

Mining tuned 1080TI Pair - (66% fan manual, -35% Power Limit, + 200Mhz core clock) (don't pay attention to the payout rate (that is variable)) - the GH/s is the stat to look at.
Tuned 1080TI pair.JPG

Last edited:
I mine with 1 GTX 980 sc. I have 2 but there in sli and you cannot mine with sli. With one I get 19 mh with Dagger Hashimoto. I tried to do any when mining and very to much lag. No gaming. So I only mine when sleeping or to many other things to do with out the computer. I don't think it matters how many cards you have there mining and nothing else when there working.

I am build a mining rig. So I can have pc back to play games.

I just started mining yesterday with a pair of 980Ti's in SLI. Seems to work fine for me in SLI:

SLImining2.JPG

Comparing lyra2 to daggerhash??
FuryX kicks the crap out of 1080ti, half the price, higher Mh/s in Eth

Comparing lyra2 to daggerhash??
FuryX kicks the crap out of 1080ti, half the price, higher Mh/s in Eth

Different algorithms compared because those are the most optimized for each card through nice hash miner. Why would I run a less effective mining algorithm on the cards when trying to compare optimized tuning and efficiency for both setups?

I make more money on the pair of 1080ti and use less power. 1080ti typically mines with lyra2 or equihash. Fury X mines almost exclusively with dagger hashimoti. Fury X are still great cards for mining, if I had two PCs right now I'd be using them too.

https://www.nicehash.com/?p=calc

Nice Hash Calculator showing profitability of 1080TI without electricity cost:
nicehash 1080TI -profitability miner - no electric.png

Nice Hash Calculator showing profitability of Fury Nano (they don't list a Fury X) without electricity cost:
nicehash Fury Nano - profitability miner - no electric.png

Given that the 1080TI uses about less power and generates less heat - the profitability is a smidge further in favor of the 1080TI. Now - the Fury X does make more than the Nano -- but Nice Hash Calc doesn't show the Fury X for comparison. In my experience is about ~6% to ~9% greater hash rate than the Nano. When Nano says it makes 26MH/s for dagger hashimoto, the Fury X might make 28 or 29MH/s. So you could ad 5 or 10% to the Fury Nano chart above (and then acknowledge electricity costs and heat are more significant for that extra 5-10%.

Last edited:
I just started mining yesterday with a pair of 980Ti's in SLI. Seems to work fine for me in SLI:

Try tuning the cards by starting to lower the power limit. Watch your hash rate -- with some finesse you can drop power use, and still hash about the same. You are probably spending about 20% or more too much power for no significant hash gain.
When you drop power targets too low the nicehash miner will crash. So you'll know you went to far.

Last edited:
Different algorithms compared because those are the most optimized for each card through nice hash miner. Why would I run a less effective mining algorithm on the cards when trying to compare optimized tuning and efficiency for both setups?

I make more money on the pair of 1080ti and use less power. 1080ti typically mines with lyra2 or equihash. Fury X mines almost exclusively with dagger hashimoti. Fury X are still great cards for mining, if I had two PCs right now I'd be using them too.

Given that the 1080TI uses about less power and generates less heat - the profitability is a smidge further in favor of the 1080TI. Now - the Fury X does make more than the Nano -- but Nice Hash Calc doesn't show the Fury X for comparison. In my experience is about ~6% to ~9% greater hash rate than the Nano. When Nano says it makes 26MH/s for dagger hashimoto, the Fury X might make 28 or 29MH/s. So you could ad 5 or 10% to the Fury Nano chart above (and then acknowledge electricity costs and heat are more significant for that extra 5-10%.

I still want to know what exactly you are mining that generates that kind of profit, looks like the only current good ones are Eth, Zec and Hush. Don't be hiding secrets, share share.

I paid $270 per 570 which are slightly slower than a FuryX, but Used FuryX were $200 when available. This chart saying that $2000 worth of 1080tis has a higher return than $500 worth of FuryXs is kinda astounding or even if you make the FuryX's $1000 total the ROI seems really really off.

So if I can get a 1080TI more profitable than around 4x570s, both are same price is why I ask and I'd rather use less slots per MB

All CAD pricing

I still want to know what exactly you are mining that generates that kind of profit, looks like the only current good ones are Eth, Zec and Hush. Don't be hiding secrets, share share.

I paid $270 per 570 which are slightly slower than a FuryX, but Used FuryX were $200 when available. This chart saying that $2000 worth of 1080tis has a higher return than $500 worth of FuryXs is kinda astounding or even if you make the FuryX's $1000 total the ROI seems really really off.

So if I can get a 1080TI more profitable than around 4x570s, both are same price is why I ask and I'd rather use less slots per MB

All CAD pricing

The nice hash calc uses MSRP prices.

Download nice hash miner here:
https://www.nicehash.com/?p=nhmintro

do the precise benchmark test and mine with it.

Then compare your scores with that of the benchmark page to confirm it's reasonably accurate as I did. You can then gauge profitability from there.

The nice hash calc uses MSRP prices.

Download nice hash miner here:
https://www.nicehash.com/?p=nhmintro

do the precise benchmark test and mine with it.

Then compare your scores with that of the benchmark page to confirm it's reasonably accurate as I did. You can then gauge profitability from there.

It's really misleading, I don't think you will get a ROI on your 1080tis in 3 months, right now it looks to be around $100 a month USD profit

I did 2 LBC calculator sand it is saying $130 or 145USD can be expected for LBC at 500MH/s which is upper end of a 1080ti, far cry from the $218 estimated by nicehash calc

Also something to keep in mind, things like HUSH you can't easily exchange so it may be profitable in theory but if you can collect profit easy

It's really misleading, I don't think you will get a ROI on your 1080tis in 3 months, right now it looks to be around $100 a month USD profit

I did 2 LBC calculator sand it is saying $130 or 145USD can be expected for LBC at 500MH/s which is upper end of a 1080ti, far cry from the $218 estimated by nicehash calc

Also something to keep in mind, things like HUSH you can't easily exchange so it may be profitable in theory but if you can collect profit easy
nice hash pays only in bitcoin. so no matter what it's mining - you get paid in BTC. Today - mining with two 1080TI - i've been watching it quite a bit while tuning - income has ranged from about $7.50 to $10.50 per day expected payout (in BTC) depending on the bids coming in for hashing power.

I'm still green to this, and have tried several different cards so far, and disabled them for gaming sessions, etc -- but so far I've been paid about $140 BTC in right at two weeks. The majority of that time I was mining with a pair of Fury X, then with a 1080TI in addition on another machine for 6 days, now I've swapped out my Fury X for two 1080TI.

Try tweaking the FuryX's should hit 33MH/s after OC 1150/500, not sure about the power consumption worry 200W a day extra is what 55c at 12c KW and profit would be a good chunk higher.

1070 Eth can hit 30MH/s pretty easy

$10USD a day is only 300/month shouldn't 2 1080tis be $1200? So the ROI seems very wrong, anyone reading this you may want to spend on 4x 1070s as they will do Eth@ 120Mh/s or 1700ish ZEC etc

1080ti does about 700 on Zec as a reference.

Try tweaking the FuryX's should hit 33MH/s after OC 1150/500, not sure about the power consumption worry 200W a day extra is what 55c at 12c KW and profit would be a good chunk higher.

1070 Eth can hit 30MH/s pretty easy

$10USD a day is only 300/month shouldn't 2 1080tis be $1200? So the ROI seems very wrong, anyone reading this you may want to spend on 4x 1070s as they will do Eth@ 120Mh/s or 1700ish ZEC etc

You are acting like I'm hiding something or making something up -- I assure you i'm not. The profitability calc is reasonable accurate for the past 24 hours, past 7 days, current, etc.

My 2 Fury X cards at full stock speed made my basement hot. Even underlocked 20% it was still hot enough in the basement to sweat just sitting here. My basement is normally very cool, actually almost too cold with the AC on. So overclooking them was not an option if I wanted to actually use my basement (and I do - my home theater is down here, and my gaming PC) so I undervoltedt them. I'm undervolting my 1080TI too. They are at 65% right now, but at least my basement is actually cool and refreshing to sit in.

The 1080TI cards are much cooler running by comparison... MUCH.

And as I pointed out - I'm making more daily profit on the pair of 1080TI than I was on the Fury X - 1:1 -- just as the calc shows I would.

As to the calc - "expected yearly" and your statement:

$10USD a day is only 300/month shouldn't 2 1080tis be $1200? So the ROI seems very wrong, anyone reading this you may want to spend on 4x 1070s as they will do Eth@ 120Mh/s or 1700ish ZEC etc 1080ti does about 700 on Zec as a reference.

I think the calc is relying on the last month's data to calculate the expected yearly. As you know in the last week or two the profitability has been steadily dropping - assumed because of uncertainty in the Eth market? If it doesn't spring back - then certainly the averages will continue to drop.

I believe the stuttering is driver related. Happened to me way back with a 980Ti, i tried a different version and MOST of the stuttering was gone.

My 3x1070's still stutter from time to time but not as bad.
AMD cards though are butter smooth. Can even play games and all that happens is hashrate goes down.

EDIT: For what its worth, your 250W TDP for ONE 1080Ti, I had 2 x1070s running with the entire system @ wall - 225w.

Thats 58Mh/s 180watts - system pulled around 50 idle. very slim system laptop hdd 5400 rpm.

Some people have shitty prices for electricity unfortunately. In Canada I think the average is around 15c/Kw with time of use. Mine sits around there, anyway.

I believe the stuttering is driver related. Happened to me way back with a 980Ti, i tried a different version and MOST of the stuttering was gone.

My 3x1070's still stutter from time to time but not as bad.
AMD cards though are butter smooth. Can even play games and all that happens is hashrate goes down.

EDIT: For what its worth, your 250W TDP for ONE 1080Ti, I had 2 x1070s running with the entire system @ wall - 225w.

Thats 58Mh/s 180watts - system pulled around 50 idle. very slim system laptop hdd 5400 rpm.

Some people have shitty prices for electricity unfortunately. In Canada I think the average is around 15c/Kw with time of use. Mine sits around there, anyway.

No, I'm undervolting to 60-65% power target with both cards as shown in the orginal screenshot. I'm 300 -330 watts combined for two 1080ti according to equihash algorithm's calc. 60% = 150 watt per card. 65% = 165 watt per card.

not with system draw though

I wouldnt rely on software to tell you I would use a kill a watt

plus u have to factor in psu efficiency

not trying to argue with you i just think the 1070 is the sweet spot price/perf wise compared to a 1080ti :)

not with system draw though

I wouldnt rely on software to tell you I would use a kill a watt

plus u have to factor in psu efficiency

not trying to argue with you i just think the 1070 is the sweet spot price/perf wise compared to a 1080ti :)

Sure take on another 50 or 60 watts for system draw I'm guessing.

Perfectly reasonable that the 1070 is the more efilficient card with the faster ROI. I didn't like the fact you have to pay about $500 in the inflated market for 1070s now. The 1080ti haven't had that inflation hit yet. When I bought these last week I paid $665 each on eBay new/shipped from the newegg eBay store using a 8% off coupon.

No p3 kill a watt, mine died and I never replaced it. But my whole pc is hooked up to a APC battery back up, the su1500 and it hovers between 2-3 bars of usage with the pair of 1080ti as compared to 4 with the undervolted Fury X pair.

apc-sua1500-1500va-smart-ups-1500-no-battery-as-is-2.35__82350.1490161233.jpg

Last edited:
damn

cause my HX1000 (corsair link directly connected to motherboard) says im pulling 900 watts
actual draw is 838

(on another system)

damn

cause my HX1000 (corsair link directly connected to motherboard) says im pulling 900 watts
actual draw is 838

(on another system)

I think that would overload my APC 1500. Is that with the three 1070 cards? CPU is basically idling on my system. I don't mine with the CPU. If you dial back your 1070 power target and then overclock just the core and memory separately (to get back towards stock speeds) you should have much less power draw right?

Last edited:
no, i was lucky.. i bought the 5173 SKU (the ones i believe that had the issue with the vrm pads - but factory fixed) I paid 564 (after 20$ MIR) for each, thats CDN so roughly 390 USD?

nah my RMi1000 has 4X480 8gb and 1X390 8gb nitro total draw 838

the 3x1070 rig is around 340 ish watts with system (i checked only with two cards @ +420 mem -68 power -120 core @ 50% fan which was 225 watts so i figure another card cant possibly draw another 130+)

well yeah actually i dialed back the core and power target, and overclocked the memory

im sure they will do 30Mh/s but im fine with 28 literally it took me 30 seconds to setup the nvidia rig... vs hours for the amd

I like the fury's though too bad they are well... scarce .. .as well as everything else booo

anyone reading this you may want to spend on 4x 1070s as they will do Eth@ 120Mh/s or 1700ish ZEC etc

So four 1070's do 1700ish ZEC? $500x4 = $2K purchase price

Two 1080TI's do 1400ish ZEC? $700x2 = $1400 purchase price
or three 1080TI do 2100ish ZEC $700x3 = $2100 purchase price

You can put more cards in your PC with the 1080TI. Also as the DAG grows the 8GB RAM limitation will hit faster than the 11GB on the 1080TI.

I don't see the draw to a 1070 right now over a 1080TI with the inflated prices on the 1070's. Before the prices inflated, okay, but now it's hard to find a 1070 without paying close to $500.

There are 1080 TIs for $600 if you keep an eye out. I just bought three more for $595 from Dell.
https://hardforum.com/threads/pny-xlr8-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-oc-for-633-from-dell.1939054/

I'll have six 1080TI, eight RX470, two 970, and two Fury X to start mining with by mid month and five PCs. I'm trying to determine what I want to sell at the inflated GPU values, and what's worth it to keep and mine.

Last edited:

You can put more cards in your PC with the 1080TI. Also as the DAG grows the 8GB RAM limitation will hit faster than the 11GB on the 1080TI.

I don't see the draw to a 1070 right now over a 1080TI with the inflated prices on the 1070's. Before the prices inflated, okay, but now it's hard to find a 1070 without paying close to $500.

There are 1080 TIs for $600 if you keep an eye out. I just bought three more for $595 from Dell.
https://hardforum.com/threads/pny-xlr8-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-oc-for-633-from-dell.1939054/

I'll have six 1080TI, eight RX470, two 970, and two Fury X to start mining with by mid month and five PCs. I'm trying to determine what I want to sell at the inflated GPU values, and what's worth it to keep and mine.

Hmmm, there are a whole mess of 1070's locally on craigslist between 400 and 420....

Based on your above numbers, that would put the 1070's close, value wise, at $400 each.... don't they draw a bit less power than the 1080 Ti? and could most likely be turned down similarly to the Ti's....

Yeah the -

GTX 1070 rated at 150 watts

GTX 1080 ti rated at 250 watts

Hmmm, there are a whole mess of 1070's locally on craigslist between 400 and 420....

Based on your above numbers, that would put the 1070's close, value wise, at $400 each.... don't they draw a bit less power than the 1080 Ti? and could most likely be turned down similarly to the Ti's....

If I mine on my 2 gtx 1070s (ethereum), the windows desktop is very, very lagged.

I'm going to stay out of the what's more profitable discussion but I will chime in on the multitasking while mining.

From my personal observations;

290/390 x and Fury/X provide extremely smooth multitasking while mining. If you fire up a Youtube video or a flash video that supports hardware accel, your card will back off the mining and nicely load balance the video in. However, I find the Nvidia's I've been experimenting with don't do this well when you use CUDA optimized mining and it gets slightly worse with OpenCL mining.

I'm assuming it's just some driver functionality of NVidia similar to the thread prioritization on CPU's.

RX 4 and 5 series behave more like Nvidia cards in this respect. They don't smoothly just cut back the mining and give you decent video play. Neither do the older GCN cards.

Now, one thing I've noticed NVidia is better at when it comes to this scenario is that if you have multiple cards and drop the miner on your primary display adapter and keep mining on the second, there's no system stutter at all. Whereas with a pair of RX 480's I find dropping mining on the display card still gives that jerky feel that tells you the system is busy (regardless of CPU load).

Mining while trying to work on a desktop really gives you variable behaviour all over the place because it's a scenario no one really develops their drivers for.

Now, one thing I've noticed NVidia is better at when it comes to this scenario is that if you have multiple cards and drop the miner on your primary display adapter and keep mining on the second, there's no system stutter at all. Whereas with a pair of RX 480's I find dropping mining on the display card still gives that jerky feel that tells you the system is busy (regardless of CPU load).

This. I just tell Nice hash to not use the card for my main desktop and I can fire up games and videos no problem. The same goes for Claymore's miner, just press 0 to disable the first card, and I'm gaming to my hearts content.

1070=$550 CAD
1080TI=$1000 CAD

Btw you are losing money mining ZEC

I swapped my 4x1070s, 1x1060 and 1050ti all over to ZEC last night to see, sitting around 2000sol/s which is $360/month, your 1080tis would do about 1400-1500 so the ROI isn't even 90 Days

Eth on that same setup is $441

don't use Nicehash calc as it is so wrong due to them using old prices when it spiked.

Not sure why the blind love for 1080tis but my 1070s put out a lot of heat, my entire house is hot from all the cards(I have about 15 running)

DAG will never hit 8GB, Zec doesn't even use a DAG, that's an ETH thing and it should change to POS at some point in the next few months.

Also should be looking at 1060s too with the new ethminer update, they are getting over 25m/hs on ETH using less power and no fees compared to claymore miner.

I'm going to stay out of the what's more profitable discussion but I will chime in on the multitasking while mining.

From my personal observations;

290/390 x and Fury/X provide extremely smooth multitasking while mining. If you fire up a Youtube video or a flash video that supports hardware accel, your card will back off the mining and nicely load balance the video in. However, I find the Nvidia's I've been experimenting with don't do this well when you use CUDA optimized mining and it gets slightly worse with OpenCL mining.

I'm assuming it's just some driver functionality of NVidia similar to the thread prioritization on CPU's.

RX 4 and 5 series behave more like Nvidia cards in this respect. They don't smoothly just cut back the mining and give you decent video play. Neither do the older GCN cards.

Mining while trying to work on a desktop really gives you variable behaviour all over the place because it's a scenario no one really develops their drivers for.

On my Linux desktop, I am currently using integrated graphics on my 4770k and mining with my GTX 680 & GTX 1060. In the nvidia properties if I set it to "intel graphics (power saving)" and logout/in of xorg, and then start mining on my 2 nvidia cards it's smooth as butter. If I try to mine & use the nvidia cards for desktop it's choppy/annoying.

heheh -

just two 1080TI - undervolted. Somebody overpaid for this particular order of hashing power! :) $22 a day if this order was ongoing! That's the highest I've seen in my two weeks of mining.

heheh.PNG

Last edited:
Very cool. I broke down and ordered 2 of those 1080Ti's from Dell yesterday morning. I have had a business account with them for a while and was able to get the cards down below $600 as well.

I decided to build a dedicated mining rig. So it will have 2 x 1080Ti, 2 x 980Ti and 1x 1070. Hopefully that won't be an issue. In Afterburner I can tweak each card individually, but I'm not sure how NiceHash is going to properly benchmark that mix of cards. Maybe it won't really matter?

Very cool. I broke down and ordered 2 of those 1080Ti's from Dell yesterday morning. I have had a business account with them for a while and was able to get the cards down below $600 as well.

I decided to build a dedicated mining rig. So it will have 2 x 1080Ti, 2 x 980Ti and 1x 1070. Hopefully that won't be an issue. In Afterburner I can tweak each card individually, but I'm not sure how NiceHash is going to properly benchmark that mix of cards. Maybe it won't really matter?

I've not tried a mix of cards yet, but I've read you can run multiple instances of the app, so that might be the way to go. One instance for each type of card so they can be targeted to hashing what they are specifically best at.

Being they are all Nvidia it may not matter, but test and let us know!

My friend bought a top of the line 1080TI with a factory overclock of something around ~1652Mhz. (1550Mhz range is stock) ($800)

He’s letting it run stock speeds which is using at about 260 watts on that card because he hasn't messed with tuning it yet. He sent me his mining stats this morning.

His mining stats:
upload_2017-7-6_10-24-6.jpg

I’m running my pair of 1080TI cards at 65% TDP – which is using ~160 watts per card – so 320 watts total. Here are my mining stats for the same period.
upload_2017-7-6_10-24-6.jpg

Definitely advantageous to tune these 1080TI cards! (mine are at about 66MH/s each - compared to his 69MH/s – and mine under-volted/overclocked, are using far less power and making far less heat for minimal profit loss)

FWIW, Nice Hash Profitability Calculator lists a 1080TI should mine for 64 MH/s with Lyra2 REv2. (so we are both hitting numbers slightly above average hash rates for the 1080 TI stock speeds)
https://www.nicehash.com/?p=calc

I don't get any video stutters mining on my 1080Ti. Everything works just as usual, I can watch tv shows and YouTube.
But playing games is a different story, I can play less demanding games (and I game at 4k) which in some places even gives me 60+ fps (for example Age of Decadence works good while mining). But the hashrate drops from 750Sol/s to 600-650Sol/s.

I don't get any video stutters mining on my 1080Ti. Everything works just as usual, I can watch tv shows and YouTube.
But playing games is a different story, I can play less demanding games (and I game at 4k) which in some places even gives me 60+ fps (for example Age of Decadence works good while mining). But the hashrate drops from 750Sol/s to 600-650Sol/s.

What driver version? what card? What clocks? What miner?

I can't even watch a YouTube video on mine while mining with nice hash.

Back