cageymaru

Fully [H]
Comparison of custom GeForce GTX 1080 PCBs
Comparison of custom GeForce GTX 1080 PCBs | VideoCardz.com

Secret: Zotac has the best power delivery system as it has a 16+3 phase design. I would go with that if I were buying a card. The EVGA Classified was very close though coming in with a 14+3. Gigabyte didn't have a picture of their PCB in time for the article.

Zotac card.
ZOTAC-GTX-1080-PGF-PCB.jpg

That article and pictures just shows how much 'craftsmanship' really went into the 1080FE.
Those PCBs look much better than the reference 1080, I really expect the custom 1080 cards to shine and achieve much better performance than the FE model.

Here's a refrence 1080FE:
front.jpg

Compare it to the MSI Gaming (and the previously posted Zotac)
MSI-GTX-1080-GAMING-X-PCB.jpg

It's funny (IMO) that they talk about the Inno3d card, which looks just like a FE card and say: "this is one of the most disappointing modifications so far. For such a large cooler we would expect something much more powerful under the hood."

Last edited:
Any pictures of the Asus Strix? As many bad experiences I;ve had with Asus, the strix is looking more and more like the card(s) I will end up with.

The MSI card is certainly more attractive, but I don't know if cosmetics directly correlates to "better craftsmanship". The additional power phases count though, for sure.

Krixon, the link in the OP has Strix pix.

Zotac has stepped up their game recently. People around here are still wary of them, but they actually make some of the best cards on the market right now, imo. I never thought I'd buy one of their cards, but the reviews of the 980ti AMP Extreme made me take a shot. It's been one hell of a card for me...and it would probably double as a defensive weapon lol.

my biggest thing is that i want to purchase the card that will use the most power the best (ASIC) and then I want to put it under water. I made the mistake of getting the 980Ti FTW instead of the classified, but at the same time though, I need to know who makes aftermarket coolers that fit, as far as i could tell other than a custom loop corsair was the only ones who made a proper bracket but I could not utilize it because I got the FTW.

Any pictures of the Asus Strix? As many bad experiences I;ve had with Asus, the strix is looking more and more like the card(s) I will end up with.

I know what you mean. Asus makes some pretty darn nice stuff but about the time I start thinking I might have to give them a try I see a new horror story about their customer support. And back to EVGA I go.

I want to go with 2 Zotac AMP Extremes in SLI. Will the Asus Asus MAXIMUS VIII EXTREME EATX LGA1151 give me enough room to have space between the 2 cards?

I'm more interested in the midplate heatsink that cools the VRM/mem/etc. The EVGA will need a shim if one were to add a Kraken G10. How about others?

That article and pictures just shows how much 'craftsmanship' really went into the 1080FE.
Those PCBs look much better than the reference 1080, I really expect the custom 1080 cards to shine and achieve much better performance than the FE model.

Of course they're also like... three feet tall.

Since we're talking about power phase, there's one thing I'm wondering about. Do every additional power phase equates to better overclocking (setting aside the chip's ability to OC), or is there a diminishing return as we go, say towards 10 and beyond?

Since we're talking about power phase, there's one thing I'm wondering about. Do every additional power phase equates to better overclocking (setting aside the chip's ability to OC), or is there a diminishing return as we go, say towards 10 and beyond?

No. Just cleaner, more stable power. There is no evidence (that I've seen) that a GPU with 10 phases overclocks any better than a GPU with say 7 phases. In fact I'm pretty sure if you have too many phases you will increase the power draw which can reduce your maximum overclock. The quality of the phases is the important part, I believe.

In the case of something like the Classified, I can totally see why a ton of phases would make sense though. Those cards are designed with extreme overclocking with exotic cooling (ln2) in mind. When you're pumping voltage through the card WAY beyond what the GPU is specced to handle, I'm sure they help. I can't see them making a difference when it comes to overclocking a "daily driver" though.

Last edited:
Looking forward to reviews to translate the quality and results of the (over)engineering. There are diminishing returns for the more is better philosophy and I'm looking forward to where the improvement in OC/stability drops off

Back