Comparing XBMC to an HTPC

jstutman

Limp Gawd
One of the things I loved about the xbmc is not having to extract .rar files. I click the rar and it plays. While using my htpc, I found I can play the files from the extraction, but there is always studder and slowdown. This goes away when I extract the contents first. Thus I ask, is there a way or program that can extract the contents to a cache for playback and deletes the cache when it is done viewing?

I use KMplayer if that helps any.

say what? there is a windows version? lol

Im totally going to google to check this out

http://xbmc.org/download/

They have versions for Windows, Mac, Linux, and even instructions to use w/ Apple TV. You may want to try using the Live CD before you install. It's still in Alpha stage and as of a month or so ago when I played around with it, it's still a bit buggy.

**Edit** Looks like they are now in Beta 2, so you may have better luck with it now.

It was a hard thing to chew, nothing as easy as the xbox. apparently it is such beta, the SMB is using the old way, so vista wont work...however you can network a drive and it works. I managed to find not many problems except when playing .mkv files encoded at 1080p. The computer will play them fine but not when ran threw xbmc. Basically the xbox version is stable, and sadly the processor inside it wont playback these hi-def files. I appreciate the link and the chance to check it out but I must wait for better releases as it is very buggy (but thats what betas are for)

btw there are in a feature freeze right now, and its kinda stupid cause most of the bugs could be fixed by upgrading the core features.

The feature freeze is probably exactly that. Getting the core features right and not adding additional stuff on top of it.

The feature freeze is probably exactly that. Getting the core features right and not adding additional stuff on top of it.

Which is great. The last time I tried playing with it the Win version had just came out and it was right before they did their second release to the Mac version (and then split it into a couple of different distros) and it was buggy as hell (both of them). The Win version would crash every now and then as well as the Mac version, neither version could get videos from my network share to play.

In another year of development XBMC on the PC will be a decent app but it can't hold a candle to Media Portal or VMC.

I use it on my HTPC its a humble shuttle, it seems to shutter every once and a while with videos, HD content via that machine is questionable with that program, its a solid program. You can't use a controller with it without remapping a controller for it.

Back