Comparing two LED tv's

bigdogchris

Fully [H]
I'm looking at this Sharp and this Toshiba. I can get both for the same price.

The Toshiba has "DynaLight", which if I understand is full LED backlighting/local dimming.

As for the Sharp, I've read complaints about 'spotlight' effect around the edges at certain light levels.

Otherwise, I know Sharp makes some of the best TV's, but I have no idea about the quality of Toshiba TV's. From what I can tell, this Toshiba is a better TV but I'm not completely confident in that.

Any input to help me decide would be great. Thanks.

I see a PS3 in your sig. Input lag and picture quality is unknown on both those models.

If you can go a little smaller or find the 55" version of the Toshiba 46SV685D (46SV670U in the USA) it is the best Local Dimming LED on the market for gaming as it has fantastic image quality and only 16ms of input lag, I've seen for around 1,000$ on Amazon.

Other wise star at square one, most LCD's these days have ridiculous amounts of input lag.

If you have 2,000$ to spend you really should only ge betting the Panasonic VT20/VT25 since it's going to be better than any of those LCD's.

Other wise star at square one, most LCD's these days have ridiculous amounts of input lag.
Due primarily to image processing, which is nice to have. This can be disabled on most sets by using a dedicated 'gaming' or 'pc' mode and quickly re-enabled when watching media. On my samsung this turns off automotion and dnie processing and forces 60hz mode (120hz adds lag).

Last edited:
I have a cheap Vizio (60hz) right now and I have no problems with input lag at all. Is this something new to TV's?

Also, the Toshiba has

Gaming mode
Enhances the gaming experience by reducing game controller delay.

Last edited:
No most TV's have some degree of lag. 60hz has nothing to do with it, all TV's are 60hz, the 600hz and 240hz stuff is just a marketing gimmick.

Game mode doesn't mean anything, it could still have a ton of lag. Point is there is no point in purchasing and untested model when you could get 2 of the best TV's on the market for a similar price which do both infact have low input lag.

The price is $1200 on either of these.

According to one site reviewing Toshiba TV's says the Game Mode is 16ms; 47ms otherwise.

No most TV's have some degree of lag. 60hz has nothing to do with it, all TV's are 60hz, the 600hz and 240hz stuff is just a marketing gimmick.
Yes, 60hz will be the input for all TVs on the market right now, but lowest input lag will be displaying it at 60hz without processing.

Upconverting to 120hz or 240hz uses frame interpolation to create a smoother than native image, along with other image processing, which is all a good thing but at the sacrifice of input lag. Ever seen raw 24p? On a TV Its just 24 frames per second, so it looks like poop when panning IMO. Thats the real hype, as the only reason 24p is still around is because it was the first format to offer acceptable framerates back in the film industries infancy when limited technology was available and thus became the first standard.
Game mode doesn't mean anything, it could still have a ton of lag. Point is there is no point in purchasing and untested model when you could get 2 of the best TV's on the market for a similar price which do both infact have low input lag.
Just to clarify, I think you mean game mode doesn't mean anything in and of itself, the TV could still be inherently laggy. I haven't heard of any displays that don't either automatically disable processing on the DVI input or have a mode to disable it on HDMI input (like many computers connect now) that still had low lag. Processing takes time, no way around it.

So to clarify, it can take an otherwise very laggy display and by disabling 240hz upscaling and image processing, reduce lag to unnoticeable levels on many sets and is a very nice feature to have.

I've been looking at the Mitsubishi lt-55154. The virtual surround sound is pretty nice. The other two I linked have a lot of sound issues (low quality). I can get it for around 1300 with a free wireless subwoofer.

Last edited:
Well I picked up the Mitsubishi. I'm not completely satisfied.

For example, when displaying an all black screen, it seems to automatically lower the brightness another level, making things like PS3 GUI text hard to read (when prompting to shut down the console).

The sound is not as good as I thought it was going to be. Do they even make LED TV's with good sound?

On top of that, 55" is awfully big. I may want to move down to a 46" with local dimming. I bought this model at Paul's TV so I have 10 days to exchange it for another TV. Anyone know of a higher quality, 42-46" LED at Paul's?

Thanks.

Ever seen raw 24p? On a TV Its just 24 frames per second, so it looks like poop when panning IMO.

Your IMO is a big "IMO."

1. I'm not aware of any current television that will show 24p... assuming of course 24p is even a relative term.

2. As far as 24 frames per second goes, i know people who have home theaters worth more than your house, and they are fine and dandy with 24fps content. It looks marvelous, and it looks marvelous on my theater as well.

A few of you are spreading a bit of misinformation here.

Back