Comparing OCZ Agility 128GB vs Velociraptor 300GB

plac

Gawd
Does my SSD look about average? I changed nothing regarding hard drive settings since I installed Windows 7.

OLD Drive:

Velociraptorbenchmark.jpg

New Drive:

SSDbenchmark.jpg

Try putting you drive to AHCI mode in the BIOS. When I use IDE compatibility mode with my Torqx, my scores are exactly as yours. When I switch, my max speed goes to 235MB/s and my average hits 226MB/s. You'll also need AHCI mode and the Windows 7 built in AHCI driver in order to gain access to fully automated TRIM. Your access time and burst speeds are in line for your drive.

Try putting you drive to AHCI mode in the BIOS. When I use IDE compatibility mode with my Torqx, my scores are exactly as yours. When I switch, my max speed goes to 235MB/s and my average hits 226MB/s. You'll also need AHCI mode and the Windows 7 built in AHCI driver in order to gain access to fully automated TRIM. Your access time and burst speeds are in line for your drive.

I def want to make sure my TRIM is working properly..

Command prompt > fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

DisableDeleteNotify = 1 (Windows TRIM commands are disabled)
DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Windows TRIM commands are enabled)

This tells you if your drive and OS supports TRIM, but not that it is actually working. The only was to really know is to watch your drive performance over time and see if you notice any degradation. As long as you have to latest firmware, AHCI enabled, and only use the default AHCI driver(don't install your mobo's storage drivers) you'll be good to go.

Command prompt > fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

DisableDeleteNotify = 1 (Windows TRIM commands are disabled)
DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Windows TRIM commands are enabled)

This tells you if your drive and OS supports TRIM, but not that it is actually working. The only was to really know is to watch your drive performance over time and see if you notice any degradation. As long as you have to latest firmware, AHCI enabled, and only use the default AHCI driver(don't install your mobo's storage drivers) you'll be good to go.

cool, it says = 0 which is enabled properly..

found an ACPI driver on Asus website for my MB. It wont install, but im working on it. Says my system doesnt meet the requirements.

found an ACPI driver on Asus website for my MB. It wont install, but im working on it. Says my system doesnt meet the requirements.

You don't need the the ASUS driver, Win7 should install its own AHCI driver for TRIM to function properly

my new ocz agility is running like crap. I have done like 3 installs, my numbers are much worse than yours posted. I think I have gotten a lemon. FW 1.4 Look at this benchmark . Any comments, suggestions? Sorry about the big picture, I am noobish with that stuff. This thing doesnt feel any more respnsive than my 640 black.
ssdbenchmark.jpg

Last edited:
My Win7 hard disk assesment only gets me a score of 6.9.. I ran it 3 times.. i thought it would be at least 7.0.

That being said, im pretty happy with the performance of my drive anyway.

I am disappointed with the real world experience of this drive. I dont notice any benefits, other than quicker boot/shut down times, which dont matter to me, as I leave my pc on always. Surfing the web, playing and loading my games, nada. I am hoping for a refund, or a new replacement drive I can sell off to offset my experimental purchase. This tech will have to improve greatly before I bite again.

Last edited:
What did you expect it to do? Since you have MW2 and CS:S icons on your desktop, you didn't expect it to do much other than faster OS boot/ shutdown, and slightly faster game loading (it is more noticeable in games like WoW than CoD from what a guy at work tells me). SSD's are great if you have heavy HD workloads, but a lot of people don't have them.

Some games won't even benefit much from an SSD if at all, but general app responsiveness (if you do anything other than gaming) should show a big improvement... 'Specially with any 'heavy' app that can often take 5-15s to load (Outlook, Photoshop, etc). Even within a lot of places in the OS it's noticeable, but if you're mainly gaming on the rig and you're not a heavy multi-tasker it's not the greatest investment.

I am disappointed with the real world experience of this drive. I dont notice any benefits, other than quicker boot/shut down times, which dont matter to me, as I leave my pc on always. Surfing the web, playing and loading my games, nada. I am hoping for a refund, or a new replacement drive I can sell off to offset my experimental purchase. This tech will have to improve greatly before I bite again.

You already had about the fastest (7200rpm) spindle drive around, so you shouldn't have expected mind blowing performance. If you load big apps regularly you'd notice the speed a little more. Adobe CS4, Outlook, etc..

But going from a WD 640Gb Black to an SSD isn't a HUGE improvement. It is an improvement, but mostly in benchmarks, not so much "OMG I can feel it being so much faster."

I did that same transition. And it was nice, but not mind blowing at least not for normal usage.

I don't know how to post it smaller. I am noob. The line in the graph looks much different on that benchmark than the other guys posted. I only game, so I guess I was expecting a "wow, what a difference" load factor. I got a store credit for the ssd, so I am ok. I will wait until there is a "wow" factor improvement in the future I guess. Thanks all for comments.

Back