Compared Samsung 830 series to Intel 530 series

plac

Gawd
Samsung 830 256GB vs Intel 530 240GB

I was disappointed that the Intel was a lot slower, i guess i didnt research enough first. Always Samsung from now on.

Disk indexing is off on both C and D, dont know anything else to improve it. I AM running in that AHCI mode.

The Intel even dropped to 359 MB average read after it was half full.

samsung830ssd.jpg

intel530ssd.jpg

The difference in reality is absolutely negligible.

Also, the Intel has higher burst speed, I would rather have that than higher sustained speed.

everyone has always taught me burst speed is useless.

Everyone was wrong.

Burst speed is one of the major factors, higher burst speed (as well as many other factors) typically coincides with higher IOPS. IOPS are why SSD's feel so much faster than hard drives.
I would much rather have a drive with 50,000 IOPS and 20mb/s sustained speed than one with 50,000mb/s but only 20 IOPS. ;)

But if your Samsung has higher IOPS than the Intel then clearly the Samsung is the better drive. But really the difference in the sustained speed (as well as the burst speed) between the two is really negligible unless you are transferring HUGE files around all day.

Last edited:
im gonna make sure im using the best controller on the motherboard, etc. my sig is old, i have a totally different machine now. maybe ill update it..

PS, after the Intel was half full, the average read now dropped to 359..

Moved the Intel SSD to the wifes G75 gaming laptop, and took the other matching samsung 830 for my own. was going to raid them but decided against it. its fast enough for now.

Back