compare these two desktops

i'm in the market for a new family PC. budget is around $600 for everything (lower is better).

it will be used primarily for a home pc. with some video editing/transcoding and media server functions as well.

i found the following:

http://www.staples.com/HP-Pavilion-p6720f-Desktop-PC/product_918406&cmArea=CIRCULAR

http://www.staples.com/HP-Pavilion-...tor-Bundle/product_917851_HC2&cmArea=CIRCULAR

second is the complete package. first desktop listed would need another $100 for the monitor.

so it comes down to AMD Phenom™ II 840T Quad-Core Processor (2.93GHz) vs. AMD Athlon™ II 640 Quad-Core Processor (3.0GHz) for $50 difference. PCmark scores is about +5.5% in favor of the Phenom w/ a price increase of about 8%.

so, will that processor be worth the additional price? is there anything other than processor that will make a difference in performance between these two (all other specs appear identical, any chipset/fsb differences, for example?)

thanks!

Take the Phenom package and be happy knowing it's money well spent. Only thing that stood out on the Athlon II was it states it's got wireless support natively which is somewhat odd but, I suppose that's becoming more popular for desktops nowadays and not just laptops.

Get the Phenom system and have at it.

Take the Phenom package and be happy knowing it's money well spent. Only thing that stood out on the Athlon II was it states it's got wireless support natively which is somewhat odd but, I suppose that's becoming more popular for desktops nowadays and not just laptops.

Get the Phenom system and have at it.

That is incorrect. The Athlon II system has only a 10/100 onboard Ethernet (no Gigabit capability). It's the Phenom II system that includes a wireless-N adaptor.

Bleh, I loaded the links backwards, my mistake - so the recommendation for the Phenom system just got even better. :)

Good pick, if for no other reason than the extra $200 will buy you a much nicer monitor than the bundled one!

Back