Compare 2 HTPC Build Intel vs AMD

mmarsh

Limp Gawd
Hello People

I am agonizing over my final HTPC build. I am debating between a AMD and Intel Build. Here is what I have so fat.

This will mainly be to view Media (Blu-Rays, VOD, Video Streaming etc) on a 55' LCD TV. Gaming is secondary (I already have a dedicated PC for gaming so its not the primary role.

In my earlier post I originally was going to do encoding as a role, but its pointless as my i7 920 will be far better at it regardless. So I dropped this requirement.

I am looking for Performance (but not overkill) on a tight budget (500 EUROS), not power hungry and as quiet as possible.

Both Builds have a optional dedicated videocard that I may or may not add. That is secondary and will decide Later, but I do want the freedom to add it if I chose.

Also I am not sold on the case, the Silverstone Grandia are great but it might not fit in my cabinet, I might need to get a smaller one.

Finally 600W Power enough? Need More/Less. Remember assume that a VC might be added later so allow for that upgrade.

Micro-ATX INTEL CPU Based

Silverstone Grandia GD04B USB 3.0 (Black) 107.90 €
Asus P8H77-M 79.71 €
INTEL Core i3 3220 (3.3GHz) 100.50 €
G.Skill RipJaws RL DDR3-1600 CL9 8Go (4x2Go) 39.00 €
Crucial 64Go M4 61.90 €
Asus BC-1205PT (Black) 55.00 €
OCZ 600W ModXStream Pro 66.41 €
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 OC 1Go 94.53 €

TOTAL W/O Graphics Card 510.42 €
TOTAL 604.95 €

Micro-ATX AMD CPU Based

Silverstone Grandia GD04B USB 3.0 (Black) 107.90 €
Asus F2A85-M LE 69.90 €
AMD A10-5700 - 3.4GHz (Socket FM2) 108.21 €
G.Skill RipJaws RL DDR3-1600 CL9 8Go (4x2Go) 39.00 €
Crucial 64Go M4 61.90 €
Asus BC-1205PT (Black) 55.00 €
OCZ 600W ModXStream Pro 66.41 €
Sapphire HD7770 Vapor-X 1GB GDDR5 OC 104.41 €

TOTAL W/O Graphics Card 508.32 €
TOTAL 612.73 €

For both builds, replace the PSU as that particular PSU isn't that good. You should be fine with the Corsair CX500.

When it comes to watching blu-ray content, VOD, video streaming, and other forms of media content, you honestly won't be able to notice a difference between the two CPUs. So for HTPC duties only, just flip a coin.

It's the secondary gaming usage where there's a clear winner: The Intel setup BUT with the AMD HD 7770 card. The HD 7770 is faster than the GTX 650 in games. The Intel Core i3 3220 will edge out the A10-5700 when it comes to games.

As for power consumption, the A10-5700 actually uses less power than the Core i3 3220 at idle. But once the CPUs are in-use, the Core i3 3220 uses 23% to 26% less power than the A10-5700

^2nd on the PSU. Go for something like a Seasonic S12II 430GB for better efficiency & reliability, with the ability to run a decent card later. Not sure just how much those cards draw, but a quality 450W unit is powering my 660Ti & can power a Titan.

Ok, point taken about the PSU. The Seasonic is nice but expensive. Almost 85 EUROS, and its not Modular which is unfortunate.

I see the Cooler Master 500W Silent Pro (M500) is getting good marks and its only 58 EUROS, what do you think? I prefer Modular PSU's.

Danny Bui

I could do that (i3 + 7770), but I would give up any use of Xfire. If I went for Radeon VC wouldnt it be better to get a AMD chip and keep the Xfire option available?

Nice PSU's do cost more. I've thrown away more money & had more system go down due to cheaper PSU's that are supposed to be quality (namely Antec). The closest modular version of the S12II is the M12II, which comes in a 520W variant - is that within your budget? I would even suggest foregoing the graphics card for now to buy a better PSU, so you only have to buy once and cry once as they say.

Unless you intend to go CFX within' the next couple months, it's almost always never going to be a good idea later on. Simply because it becomes harder to find a GPU to match for your CFX setup and newer, single GPUs will be faster than your current GPU and generally cost around the same as getting a second card to pair with your current card. Not to mention since this is an HTPC setup and most likely going to be a 1080P display, CFX isn't needed for such a low resolution these days. If you were going triple display setups or 1440P or higher resolutions, then maybe.

With that being said, do what Danny suggested. Intel setup w/ 7770, better PSU

Ok, point taken about the PSU. The Seasonic is nice but expensive. Almost 85 EUROS, and its not Modular which is unfortunate.

I see the Cooler Master 500W Silent Pro (M500) is getting good marks and its only 58 EUROS, what do you think? I prefer Modular PSU's.
If the M500 and the M600 share the same design (yes sometimes PSUs with the same model number don't share the same design), then it's an ok PSU. But it is a PSU from over 4 years ago. The CX430 and CX430M is newer.

I could do that (i3 + 7770), but I would give up any use of Xfire. If I went for Radeon VC wouldnt it be better to get a AMD chip and keep the Xfire option available?
No because you said "Gaming is secondary (I already have a dedicated PC for gaming so its not the primary role." As such, Crossfire shouldn't even be a concern if your statement was true. In addition to what SkillZ said about Crossfire, there's also the issue of added heat and noise, two things you do not want increasing in a HTPC.

Back