Compaq Cq60 help

Bman123

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys I had a $100 GC for BB and wanted a pc so it was either a netbook or the compaq CQ60-615DX laptop. So I took the laptop as it had more ram, bigger hard drive and 15.6 inch screen. I know it has a single core celeron, I'm gonna put a dual core in it later. I do have a few questions tho.

I want to swap out the 250gb hd for a SSD drive. I dont know what size SSD to get tho. I plan on getting a 250-500gb external hard drive for my storage. Here is where I am having the problem tho. With this being a store bought pc how should I go about doing a reinstall of the os when I get my SSD?

It has a recovery disc, but I heard from someone locally that I may have trouble with the recovery cd installing it on a SSD. They said I will probably have to call MS when I go to install windows as it's store bought and not the original drive. Is this BS or what?

I've built my desktops before and only installed the OS once on the HDD so I have no clue how this would work out. Plus I dont know what size SSD to get. I'm thinking a 60gb would be plenty for the OS, and fire fox.

All I do on this laptop is web browse, shop online, email, and read the forums. Even with the single core celeron it runs good enough, the dual core will be added around xmas for added powa lol.

Please help out guys, as I'm totally lost when it comes to what size SSD to get and how will the reinstall of the os go as I only have a recovery cd. I thought maybe I can use a friends windows 7 cd to install and use my cd key to install but I don't know if thats gonna work or not..

Wow no help, lol maybe later huh?
Here's what I need to know

What size SSD for win 7 64bit, fire fox, avg? I'm thinking 60-64gb would be good but like opinions on this
Installing recovery disc on ssd, Will I have trouble doing this or should it go smooth?
Can I just use a win 7 64bit disc to install os on the ssd and just use my cd key that's on the laptop?

I would clone the partition using Norton Ghost, Acronis True Image or something similar (haven't done this in a few years) and restore the image to the new drive. The big caveat here is that the new drive must be bigger than the cloned partition. You may be able to resize your current OS partition to a smaller size to make it fit; I'm not certain.

I dont know what size ssd to get, win 7 is what 20gb max right? I was thinking a 60-64gb ssd wopuld be plenty enough, I can just buy a external enclosure for my current 250gb hard drive and use that drive for storage. With a 60-64gb ssd I would have enough room for updates and such.

Last edited:
Back