Compaq Armada M700 notebook password problem

Rikki

2[H]4U
Hi folks,

I got an old Compaq notebook a year ago because the screen was smashed in and never really did anything with it. Was clearing out the spare room and found it today so connected it up and it seems to work fine connected to a monitor, only problem is it has a BIOS password and being a notebook I cant just pop the CR2032 out of it overnight LOL.

Does anyone know how to reset the password on this notebook or am I screwed?

Thanks,

Compaq may have set it in the factory. I would call up them and just see if you can just get them to help. Only way I can think of to change BIOS pass is to remove the jumper, but thats not an option.. If you cant get any help from Compaq on ideas start typing in random passes and any pass you/them might have possibly set it at. That sucks though :(

If I'm thinking of the right model, there is a battery you can pull underneath the keyboard. Pull the main battery, and then the keyboard should come up by removing a couple screws from the BOTTOM of the laptop, and there are some small clips at the top of the keyboard. Slide those clips toward the bottom of the keyboard and it should lift up from the side with the clips. be careful though as the ribbon cable that connects the keyboard to the laptop mainboard is only about 3-4 inches long usually.

Thanks guys,

Got it sorted out. Remove battery pack, unscrew modem plastic cover and unclip CMOS battery wire. Leave overnight and reconnect.

Thanks again,

Back