Company to gloss your LCD?

Synful Serenity

[H]ard|Gawd
I saw a reference to companies that will apply a glossy coating to your screen for you, but I haven't been able to find the thread through searching. Happy Hopping (since I saw you mention this), would you be able to post a link to the original thread, or remember more specific search terms that I could use? I would definitely like to look into this and see how viable this is for all us that would like to see this CRT-esque feature in larger panels that do not offer it.

So basically you would ship your monitor to some company...wait lord knows how long without having a monitor...get it back and pray that a "glossy coating" looks ok on top of the factory anti-glare? No thanks...I would rather buy a new monitor with a glossy coating.;)

I agree a glossy plastic sheet put on an anti-glare screen is pointless. I did it for a while on my LG laptop (harsh anti-glare coating) and my smooth but slightly anti-glared desktop monitor, but there was basically no difference I could see.

I don't know about companies doing it for you, but many companies sell plastic sheets that you can fit in yourself. I don't know about other countries, but here in Japan, a 24" glossy sheet costs at around $50.

This is a completely bizarre concept. Screen coatings are quite sophisticated, as are their application processes. I can't see these guys having the proper spin-spray equipment to do a decent job on it, nor use any of those modern antiglare materials (that absorb non-RGB wavelengths rather than reflecting or passing).

That was my feeling, but since I hadn't heard anything about it before, I figured it didn't hurt to get more information first.

joemama said:
No thanks...I would rather buy a new monitor with a glossy coating.

So would I, but unfortunately the only ones available aren't as large as I was looking for. I've been using a 2141sb, and I wouldn't part with it even after I got an LCD. I wanted a glossy monitor since it looks closest to CRT for me, 24" or higher. If the 2690 was glossy, then it'd be case closed!

Back