Company Paid Black Friday Shoppers To Buy Hard Drives

You're next.
Oh no, I wouldn't want to end up... with egg on my face!

csi_yeah_skyline.jpg

I'm surprised more of you guys hadn't heard about this before. They did it earlier in the year when Thailand flooding put a major crunch on availability of large capacity drives, and prices shot through the roof. Availability still isn't fantastic, but they continue to buy up inventory from average joe consumers because they're literally not allowed to shop at Costco any more.

http://gigaom.com/cloud/how-to-add-5-5-petabytes-and-get-banned-from-costco-during-a-hard-drive-crisis/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/netapp/2012/10/09/cloud-backup-service-backblaze-gets-creative-with-big-storage/

Don't know why ppl say Seagate blows, seeing as they've always been the most reliable hdds in my setup. My WD hdds break all the time, but they provide better performance than the Seagates. So I use Seagates in my server and as data drives, while my WDs serve as my OS drives.

Although, I just swapped to a pair of Intel 330 240GB SSDs for my OS.

I believe they could be stocking up on these externals for the purpose of shipping restores to customers. I am a Backblaze subscriber myself, and they give the option to order your data shipped to you on an external drive as part of the restore process.

Don't know why ppl say Seagate blows, seeing as they've always been the most reliable hdds in my setup. My WD hdds break all the time, but they provide better performance than the Seagates. So I use Seagates in my server and as data drives, while my WDs serve as my OS drives.

Although, I just swapped to a pair of Intel 330 240GB SSDs for my OS.

Im sure more than a few people (myself included) are still quite bitter about the firmware bug from a while back.

Theres something about having to connect your SATA drive to your serial port, terminal into your hard drive, and run some commands to unbrick it that sort of leaves a bad taste in your mouth about Seagate.

Back