Company of Heroes or Bioshock 1

walkman

Limp Gawd
I bought these games a while ago but never got around to playing them. I just got a GTX570 to drive my Dell 30" monitor so I think it's time to fire up a game.

If you could only play one of them, which game would you recommend? (I like RTS and FPS equally)

Bioshock.
Company of Heroes is a very god RTS; it's of the same vein of Dawn of War and its sequel from Relic, and an RTS fan needs to play it; but Bioshock is just a brilliant commentary on games - particularly if you've managed to avoid the story spoilers. Although the boss battle at the end is a let down; everything leading up to that point, the story, the environment, the illusion it presents you are some of the best hours I've spent in a game.

CoH is also overrated. Bioshock 1 (don't bother with 2 unless its dirt ass cheap) was a fantastic change of pace for an FPS game , lots of great nods to some amazing books as well in the dialog. The game play was fun and the plasmids are pretty damn cool. The voice acting is pretty good too.

CoH as its been stated is similar to Dawn of War but Bioshock was just such an overall experience , its stuck with me far longer than CoH ever could. CoH isn't a bad game at all (very fun MP) but the single player is forgettable.

Both great games but CoH will take hundreds of hours to get good at if you ever want to play multiplayer. I just play the campaign.

CoH. Was disappointed with Bioshock at first. Played it again and enjoyed it, but there is absolutely no way it deserves that 96% metascore. Bioshock is more accessible though.

Generally you'll get more mileage out of CoH than Bioshock. And TBQH missing Bioshock isn't such a big deal if you've had your fill of the *real* FPS/RPG hybrids.

As far as replay value goes, Bioshock was a one shot deal for me, yet I find myself coming back to CoH time and again for the MP, skirmishes or a few missions here or there.

I'd say CoH by a mile.

Yeah, it has the most horrible patching process ever. There are about fifty bajillion patches out, and you have to download and install them all sequentially. If you're going to get CoH get it on something like Steam that'll just update it automatically.

If you own both, play through Bioshock first since it's pretty short if you don't need every upgrade, then play CoH. You could beat Bioshock in 2 decent nights of gaming if you have the time.

This is one serious dilemma. In the end you will have to play both, as both are brillant, must-play titles. CoH will take more of your time to complete than Bioshock so you should consider that. Also unlike someone above I thought all the Coh campaigns were very well done and epic, except tales of valour which was just riduculously short.

I'd vote for both but as others have said the update process for CoH is just dumb. I find myself wanting to play it again but not reinstalling it because of the update process.

COH had a pretty strong single player game. Bonus if you pick up the other two packs. The multiplayer on COH is still pretty solid. Still hook up with friends and do a comp stomp with that one.

BioShock was pretty good from a FPS standpoint. Limited replay value, no multiplayer. If you are only going to do COH multiplayer, you only need ToV.

Both are woth having.

I'm in the "Bioshock is over rated" crowd. Got bored after a few hours of play and never finished the game. Story was good, environment was good but I thought the gameplay was boring and unbalanced.

That said they're two completely different games, so you shouldn't be asking "do I want to play Bioshock or CoH" you should be asking "do I want to play RTS or story driven FPS".

CoH because its awesome so go that route. Its a great RTS with some innovative elements. Unless you prefer FPS in which case go Bioshock. Its a great FPS with some innovative elements. Unless you prefer RTS in which case go CoH because its awesome so go that route. Its a great RTS with some innovative elements. Unless you prefer FPS in which case go Bioshock. Its a great FPS with some innovative elements. Unless you prefer RTS in which case go CoH because its awesome so go that route. Its a great RTS with some innovative elements. Unless you prefer FPS in which case go Bioshock. Its a great FPS with some innovative elements.Unless you prefer RTS in which case go CoH because its awesome so go that route. Its a great RTS with some innovative elements. Unless you prefer FPS in which case go Bioshock. Its a great FPS with some innovative elements. Unless you prefer RTS in which case go CoH because its awesome so go that route. Its a great RTS with some innovative elements..........................................

COH is probably the only strategy game that i actually liked in a while not sure why. Easy to learn good animations during fighting. everything.

Bioshock, one of the best single player shooters in years. Great powers, great story, great themes, awesome environments and engrossing characters.

COH, easy choice.

Bioshock was good but the overall experience was awesome in COH. I have hundreds of hours played easily. Still play it occasionally, its one of the best RTS games I have ever played.

Bioshock atmosphere was great. For first play through I would vote for Bioshock. Of course for replay value CoH would be better.

Lol good catch sorry about that. I was doing a search for something and had some current threads open in other tabs and got em mixed up.

Ugh christ I am going to get neurotic about checking thread dates if this happens to me one more time.

I'd vote for both but as others have said the update process for CoH is just dumb. I find myself wanting to play it again but not reinstalling it because of the update process.

I like CoH, but only manually update to v1.71 (I think) because I don't play it online, but against the computer.
Also I like to run a 'trainer' sometimes for a bit of fun.
I am not sure at what point the auto updating takes place, but it annoyed the heck out of me the first time I installed it, updated it to the point where auto updating takes over with the message that 'I must up date it to play online', and if I didn't then the game would not let me play.
I don't want to effing play online, just single player of campaign etc., I only play BF2142 and now BF3 online.

If you have fiends that will play coop with you COH is hella fun, that being said Bioshock 1 is a great single player game.

BioShock

I enjoyed it thoroughly from beginning to end. The atmosphere of the game really brings it to life & I loved every minute of it.

I guess I'm biased since I haven't ever played CoH.

Back