Company Of Heroes Excitement!

Does this run really bad for anyone else with a 7950 GX2?

I tried it last night when drunk and put the settings to max in 1280 960 with 2xaa and 8xaf and it ran about 1fps

Didnt look good enough to warrent that kind of slow down, unless my 2nd core is being disabled to be used for something like AI.

Frosteh said:
Does this run really bad for anyone else with a 7950 GX2?

I tried it last night when drunk and put the settings to max in 1280 960 with 2xaa and 8xaf and it ran about 1fps

Didnt look good enough to warrent that kind of slow down, unless my 2nd core is being disabled to be used for something like AI.

Once again there is an SLI bug that they are going to patch.

anyone have any idea on how it will run on a 2.8 celeron?? lol its my laptop and the graphics card is an integrated ati Radeon 9000 Mobility.

Ive only played the demo so far....

Very cool game, but not unlike other RTS's ive played.

I run it with all settings maxed with a 7900gt....ZERO problems with a decent 50-60FPS. I still like AOEIII better though, but thats just me :D

Salvinorin said:
Don't be retarded!
Yeah, your right Bro.....I played some more of it......AOEIII is good.....for AOEIII....

THIS is A different ball game we got here....so just disregard my retardedness.... :p

Im having trouble on the defend the town mission. The tanks just keep raping my defenses! Ive mined the bridges, set up pillboxes and anti tank things, any more tips for a stuck dude?

tskiller said:
Im having trouble on the defend the town mission. The tanks just keep raping my defenses! Ive mined the bridges, set up pillboxes and anti tank things, any more tips for a stuck dude?

You need to use Barb Wire, Sandbags, Arty, to create choke points that are easier to defend with minimal troops. When I did the defend mission, I went with Artillery and just launched it every time one of the three choke points were getting overwhlemed.

This game is hard as fuck. I keep getting slaughtered by the AI even on the easiest setting. What sort of strategies are you guys using?

try to be quick with attacking.. also play a normal or hard computer and then after you loose :D save the replay and watch their strategies! muahha :p

Bad Seed said:
This game is hard as fuck. I keep getting slaughtered by the AI even on the easiest setting. What sort of strategies are you guys using?

Believe it or not, real life military tactics seem to do the trick every time.

PoweredBySoy said:
Performs great! Most settings on 'high', 1280x1024 res and AA on. I get a pretty solid 60 frames even the biggest fire fights.

Intel E6400
EVGA 7900GT 512
2 gig XMS2 6400
Xfi sound card (the game has amazing sound).

I'm not a big fan of RTS games, but I'm totally loving this title. I addresses all the things I hate about a typical RTS.

I'm not a big RTS fan and I've played the first two missions and I'm still not converted! For me it doesn't address the flaws with RTS games. Gone back to playing Prey!

miskari said:
yea, from what i heard it helps out but not much

The patch aleviated the frame rate problem but I wouldn't consider the performance Im getting decent compared to how nice it looks, a 7950 GX2 shouldn't have problems with this game in max settings in 1600 1200 but it struggles to be playable, especially if you tilt down the angle of the camera and look at a large portion of the battlefield.

The level of detail on the models is stupid though, If the models they use in the cutscenes are the ones they use in the actual game then they've made some bad design choices, I mean they've normal mapped god damn nets onto their helmets and given them really detailed faces which you just dont see in the singleplayer unless you zoom right it, which is pointless.

[H]ard|Nate said:
I rushed out and bought CoH at Best Buy on the release day. I noticed what looked like a shoe polish tin that read "Company of Heroes" on the top shelf of the break-out box display that was set up in-store for the game's retail debut. I grabbed the tin and the non-collector editon of CoH. The checkout chick gave me a "What a damn geek smirk on her face". Then she insisted on opening the tin to discover its content. She became hysterical. Inside contained three boyscout-esque WW2 insignias. I felt like a real stud and exclaimed to her that I needed to rush home and sew them on before work started tomorrow. I never planned on paying for tin, and I didn't, I think she gave them to me because she felt sorry for me and the fact that they weren't selling. One of them says, "Born to raise Hell," with that on my shoulder I should be able to get some mad ass at the bars this weekend.

LMFAO!!!!! :D

Frosteh said:
The patch aleviated the frame rate problem but I wouldn't consider the performance Im getting decent compared to how nice it looks, a 7950 GX2 shouldn't have problems with this game in max settings in 1600 1200 but it struggles to be playable, especially if you tilt down the angle of the camera and look at a large portion of the battlefield.

The level of detail on the models is stupid though, If the models they use in the cutscenes are the ones they use in the actual game then they've made some bad design choices, I mean they've normal mapped god damn nets onto their helmets and given them really detailed faces which you just dont see in the singleplayer unless you zoom right it, which is pointless.

I believe the models are exactly the same although it likely knocks the LOD down when the camera is further away. The issue with the game is poor performance with any sort of SLI setup, it runs faster with a single card than in SLI mode.

I get a good framerate (30-90fps, all settings high/ultra) with a single 7800GTX 512MB but when i enable SLI the framerate gets cut in half.

Is the performance improved from beta? I wasn't that happy with it during beta and my PC should run faster.

Athlon 4000+
7900GT
2gigs ram

This game is way to addictive. It should be banned! :p

j/k

Best RTS i've ever played. Runs flawless on my system.

Am i the only one who thinks Faces of War is better? Im kinda obsessed with realism in ww2 games, and Company of Hero's just doesn't do it for me.

whats multiplayer like? does it use gamespy? or something more like battle.net?

can someone tell me what this game is about?
im at school and the name has crossed a few times and xfire has some SS contest on it.
is this like call of duty2? but some are saying RTS so what warcraft?

Its a WWII RTS. Its kinda hard to describe from there.. Kinda like warcraft with tanks n stuff lol.

Opie said:
To the SLi peeps: try AFR2. It runs best for me that way.

I'll benchmark it with recommended and AFR2 and report back in a short while, thanks for the tip.

*edit*

With max settings in 1600 1200 with no AA or AF

With Nvidia Recommended set I get

Average 35.2
Maximum 103.0
Minimum 12.2

With Alternate frame rendering 2 forced I get

Average 36.7
Maximum 100.0
Minimum 12.6

No significant change, although these drivers (Official 91.47) don't seem to remember settings well, they keep forgetting my brightness settings for video overlay and I need to set some stuff several times before it remembers them.

I didn't like the Faces of War demo becuase of how strong your infantry units seemed. Im losing my interest in COH mainly because its entirely to unrealistic. Im playing on the hardest difficulty but the game is still more annoying then it has to be. There are times when a few enemy troops just crawl through 3 machine gun teams constant firea and live, and others when 3 sherman tanks can't take on 1 Anti-tank cannon because they keep missing. To this day Soldiers Heroes of World War 2 is my favorite RTS and I doubt anyone will beat them in the realism department anytime soon.

CoH is best game ever in a long time, just the thing to get me off WoW :) . Also the graphics are very nice, with 3000+ Athlon 64 and 6600gt im rocking it 1280x1024 for rez. Havent gotten to far through, but the levels i have done were beautifully made oh cant get enough.

WOW I'm glad I bought this game! Its the most fun RTS, or game of any genre for that matter, that I have played in a few years. There's nothing like bombarding a building with tanks and watching the explosions fling the defenders occupying it into the air! :D Sadly I have midterms this and next week :( although I did manage to get in several hours of gametime over the weekend. It's kind of fun getting sucked into a game again! The gameplay is very engrossing, although I haven't spent much time in multiplayer yet so I'll reserve comment on that until I get some more experience. Graphics wise it's incredible and it seems to run pretty well on my newish system. For comparison I ran the performance test @ 1600x1200 max setting/detail with AA on:

Average: 34.8
Max: 105.3
Min: 18.1

This is with a 7900GT @ 470/1370 (stock) using 91.31 drivers, [email protected], 2GB ram.

The game seems plenty smooth to me, although it does bog down a bit during heavy action.

**EDIT*
I decided to OC the vid card and see what a difference it would make. Nvidia autodetected 583/1608 :eek: so I changed it to an "even" 575/1600 and reran the benchmark:

Average: 44.2
Max: 132.8
Min: 20.3

Ahh much better :cool:

whrswoldo said:
WOW I'm glad I bought this game! Its the most fun RTS, or game of any genre for that matter, that I have played in a few years. There's nothing like bombarding a building with tanks and watching the explosions fling the defenders occupying it into the air! :D Sadly I have midterms this and next week :( although I did manage to get in several hours of gametime over the weekend. It's kind of fun getting sucked into a game again! The gameplay is very engrossing, although I haven't spent much time in multiplayer yet so I'll reserve comment on that until I get some more experience. Graphics wise it's incredible and it seems to run pretty well on my newish system. For comparison I ran the performance test @ 1600x1200 max setting/detail with AA on:

Average: 34.8
Max: 105.3
Min: 18.1

This is with a 7900GT @ 470/1370 (stock) using 91.31 drivers, [email protected], 2GB ram.

The game seems plenty smooth to me, although it does bog down a bit during heavy action.

**EDIT*
I decided to OC the vid card and see what a difference it would make. Nvidia autodetected 583/1608 :eek: so I changed it to an "even" 575/1600 and reran the benchmark:

Average: 44.2
Max: 132.8
Min: 20.3

Ahh much better :cool:

There must be some issues with SLI still then, because thats better frame rates than my 7950GX2.

i read on Gamespot that there is isssues with SLI and they fixed it also they bumped up the score to 9.0 due to this

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/companyofheroes/index.html?q=company of heroes

this is from the article

Editor's note 09/13/06: GameSpot learned after this review was originally posted that the sluggish performance we experienced while testing Company of Heroes on our primary high-end system was due to a specific bug in the shipping version of the game, relating to SLI graphics cards configurations. When we resolved this rare issue, we experienced substantially improved performance. As a result, we have updated portions of this review to more accurately reflect the game's overall performance and quality.

they dont explain how they fixed it :-(

I dont think SLI rigs are running as fast as they should be in this game, if a 7900 GT is matching a 7950GTX then it's not 100% resolved.

I just had an idea though, when I get home Im going to try the higher AA levels which require a dedicated card (i.e one card runs the game and the other does higher levels of like 8x or 16x)

In fact scratch that, I will benchmark tonight with SLI enabled and disabled, to see what the frame rate increase is like, I'm betting its not much.

1 card running the game and 1 card doing AA is likely to remove and potential drops in frame rate incured by trying to keep both cards in sync which is obviously problematic with this game.

Just a quick update, as we know the patch solves the horrible performance with SLI, but theres a remaining bug, the reason that post processing takes such a performance hit is because it's disabling SLI when it's set to "on"

I dont know what kind of performance hit post processing has normally but Im guessing its no where near that.

Back