Company of Heroes 2

Try GMG using code - SECRE-TVOUC-HER25

I'm not sure if its still valid though but GMG. There was also the rumor that CoH2 would be part of a future AMD bundle, so if you believe that and were inclined to wait that would be a possible avenue to get the game cheaper.

Regarding the SC2 and CoH2 comparison I cannot say that is exactly comparable as presented. SC2 likely has a much larger art budget and it uses separate higher quality assets for the in-engine cutscene portions. Judging by the CoH2 screen I am assuming everything except the face (if even that) is shared with the normal ingame assets. While Kerrigan has a much higher poly and texture resolution model for cutscenes versus actually ingame unit model (you can see them both using the map editor).

has anyone seen this on sale anywhere? don't really feel like spending 60 bucks on it..

It was $45 @ GMG after 25% coupon, it looks like it's dead now though. I would just wait a few months, Sega is notorious for discounting their games rather quickly.
It will probably be $30 or less during Steam X-mas sale

agreed. i dont have my 2nd 670 yet but considering what im hearing from people i wont touch this until they add sli and i get a 2nd cause the performance @ 1440p is supposed to be god awful

GTX680 driving 1440p and running just fine here

SC2 uses completely different assets during cutscenes.

Compare them both in-game and it paints a different picture.

I was comparing both in-game engines from both game's cinematics. Its a fair comparison.

I was comparing both in-game engines from both game's cinematics. Its a fair comparison.

a comparison of cutscene cinematic graphics is about as useless a metric as it gets

"its the gameplay, stupid" and CoH2's multiplayer is infinitely more interesting than StarCrap2

Last edited:
Ok so can someone help me out with MP?

I haven't played CoH in a long long time and picked up the 2nd game cause I've been wanting a good RTS to play.

However I am getting completely and utterly dominated in every MP game.

It's like I somehow NEVER have the resources that I need compared to all the other players.

While my team mates and the enemies have battalions of troops + artillery + tanks I'll just b estruggling to even get ranked up to get the tanks unlocked to build.

I usually end up capturing two control points from the start and put one as fuel and the other as ammo (I believe, whatever the othoer resource is besides fuel).

However I seem to NEVER have many resources to build anything, I can pump out a single vehicle or a single group of troops and then I'm out again for a while.

I have to be doing something wrong.

I haven't played CoH in a long long time and picked up the 2nd game cause I've been wanting a good RTS to play.

It's like I somehow NEVER have the resources that I need compared to all the other players.

While my team mates and the enemies have battalions of troops + artillery + tanks I'll just b estruggling to even get ranked up to get the tanks unlocked to build.

I usually end up capturing two control points from the start and put one as fuel and the other as ammo (I believe, whatever the othoer resource is besides fuel).

However I seem to NEVER have many resources to build anything, I can pump out a single vehicle or a single group of troops and then I'm out again for a while.

Which army? What's your build order and overall strategy? Post a video of your play, if you can.

a comparison of cutscene cinematic graphics is about as useless a metric as it gets

"its the gameplay, stupid" and CoH2's multiplayer is infinitely more interesting than StarShit2

Either way, in-game gameplay SC2 looks better too. COH2 has some nice snow effect and weather, but other than that I'm unimpressed considering its PC exclusive.

It's hard to give specific advice. Start recording your build/capture order that is shown at the end of the game.

One of the biggest mistakes I see new players make is they capture a couple sectors at the beginning and then either stop or they just try to hold the couple that they have already taken. You have to constantly be on the move. It's not just a matter of holding sectors, it is also a matter of denying your enemy. Have you ever play against AI? They are masters at getting behind your front line and disrupting your resource flow by taking points. This COH much like the original is all about micro management. At no time should you have an idle infantry squad.

Take care of your vehicles. Fuel seems to be much more scarce in COH2 (at least in my opinion), so it is very important to keep your vehicles alive. Don't overextend with them and support them with infantry.

Which army? What's your build order and overall strategy? Post a video of your play, if you can.

It's hard to give specific advice. Start recording your build/capture order that is shown at the end of the game.

One of the biggest mistakes I see new players make is they capture a couple sectors at the beginning and then either stop or they just try to hold the couple that they have already taken. You have to constantly be on the move. It's not just a matter of holding sectors, it is also a matter of denying your enemy. Have you ever play against AI? They are masters at getting behind your front line and disrupting your resource flow by taking points. This COH much like the original is all about micro management. At no time should you have an idle infantry squad.

Take care of your vehicles. Fuel seems to be much more scarce in COH2 (at least in my opinion), so it is very important to keep your vehicles alive. Don't overextend with them and support them with infantry.

Either army, I'm the type of player who likes to "turtle" in RTS games.

What I was trying to do (I thought it'd work better) was that I will capture two points (or three sometimes) and then I'll fortify around them with bunkers (upgraded to MG nests).

Then I advance my base to try and rush tanks instead of focusing on early-game units.

IS that not viable? Is that where I mess up? IT would seem to me that rushing tanks would be a good idea as they seem quite powerful, especially the Tiger Tank/panzer.

What I was trying to do (I thought it'd work better) was that I will capture two points (or three sometimes) and then I'll fortify around them with bunkers (upgraded to MG nests).

Then I advance my base to try and rush tanks instead of focusing on early-game units.

IS that not viable? Is that where I mess up? IT would seem to me that rushing tanks would be a good idea as they seem quite powerful, especially the Tiger Tank/panzer.

This is why i don't like multiplayer in RTS =P

I also like to turtle and take my time, which usually does not end up well.

Playing RTS well against other people is just too stressful. I get done and i'm exhausted because it was like working as hard as i could for 30 minutes straight. WHAT"S NEXT WHAT"S NEXT?!?

ya know?

Being a turtle in MP will get you punished (the AI is also unforgiving in this game). :D That said, you won't be able to rush Tiger in any situation, and pushing for armor requires fuel and T3 at minimum (Germans, anyway, I haven't played as Russian yet). It's doable, but you'll have to work on advancing and maintaining fuel points with combined arms (a mix of infantry and AT guns, as they consume no more fuel than the cost of the base structure) until that time.

To me, unless you're directing fire at a chokepoint and can't be flanked, upgrading your bunker to an MG nest is burning munition. I'd upgrade it to a reinforcement point and use infantry to protect the point (they won't have to retreat to your base to reinforce). Also, effectively utilizing cover early on (green spots appear on your squad's destination to indicate best cover available) will be advantageous.

Last edited:
Yeah, you really can't turtle in this game unless your allies are kicking ass. Fixed defenses don't really do anything in this game unlike in the previous COH where the Americans had cheap and effective machine gun emplacements and the British had a ton of fixed defenses. You basically always have to be on the offensive or you will be destroyed. Every time I've built a machine gun bunker in COH2 a mortar squad has taken it out before it's done anything. Those munitions are better spent elsewhere. Using a bunker to reinforce squads can be useful though I tend to use halftracks for that.

I can understand your frustration as I am a natural turtle myself. In games like starcraft, C&C, etc territory control is not nearly as big of a deal as it is in COH. Because fixed defenses are basically useless you have to micro manage your infantry at all times.

Make sure that you queue commands by shift clicking. I always hate to see ally infantry standing at a point they have captured when they could be moving on to the next sector.

Thanks, I Will try that.

Can you guys give some basisc build orders? Like what things I should be building from the start for either army?

I generally as soon as the game starts pump out another pioneer squad so I have one that is out capturing points while on eI leave in my base to build new buildings.

Then I'll get a sniper (I love putting the sniper in a good building overlooking a control point, I got one sniper like this with over 30 kills in a game once) and an infantry squad.

Then this is about when I start to rush my base upgrades to try and get tanks, but it seem sthat's bad strategy. So what should I build after this?

Is there a good counter to artillery/mortars?

I like building another pioneer squad, MG + Grenadiers, sending all out to capture. Idle infantry is wasted manpower. ;) Once you have resources to expand your base, retreat a pioneer squad, then send them out again.

To you guys struggling with the MP, I'd highly recommend spending some time playing the AI. Its a whole lot less stressful and will give you time to work out strategies and get all the controls down. Learning and using the hotkeys is critical just like any RTS, and being able to effectively do things like "micro" in a game vs human opponents will make or break you - example learn the effective use of "retreating fire" on vehicles by using the backup function so your vehicle doesnt waste time turning around. Know how to circle strafe with a vehicle, stuff like that.

As others have said this isn't really a turtling RTS where you build an invasion force of 100 tanks and streamroll the enemy base. Its really more of a sparring match. There is *some* sense of turtling you can do, like once you start to get a majority of the map you start spamming tanks and concentrating them in certain areas, but territory control and cap points is priority 1

man i thought for sure there would have been multiple streams putting it towards the top of the heap today but nope...

Just fired up the single player and this game is more fun than I thought it would be.

Playing the ToW mini-games now. They offer a serious challenge to even the hardcore vets out there. Sadly, only 8 missions for each side are available at launch, but I did splurge and get the DCE so I get all of that extra content.
I am really surprised at the numerous patches for the game - over the open beta we got a patch nearly every other day, and 2 patches within 4 days of the games release. It's nice that Relic is attempting to even out the factions, but annoying when I get regular messages when launching the game about a version incompatibility that announces it will not give me any XP until its updated.

Yes. This game covers the eastern front during WWII, so germans and russians. Even in the original COH there was only the US and Germans. It wasn't until later expansions that the British and panzer elite were brought in. But even knowing that it wouldn't be historically accurate, I really miss the US and panzer elite. Those were my main factions in COH1. I would love to seem them brought back into COH2 at some point. Not in any single player campaign but just for skirmishes.

Also, I can't tell if I'm getting bored with COH2 or if I'm just tired of the same maps. I played some 3v3 games yesterday with friends and I got bored pretty quickly.

You need to try Eastern Front for CoH1 if you haven't already. It's been mod of the year for a few years now, its that good, and offers so much more than even CoH2 does that I see many suggestions being made for CoH2 that were ideas already implanted into Eastern Front.

They are currently on version 1.8 of EF, with version 2.0 arriving very soon now. That offers yet another faction, Ostheer, to sink your CoH1 teeth into. For anyone who is ticked off about any of the CoH2 'issues' currently being dealt with, I recommend they try this great mod out.

So how is this game so far? I'm still debating on whether or not to pick this game up. I enjoyed CoH1 single-player a lot but never really got into multiplayer cause I'm bad. Is there enough content here single-player and co-op vs AI wise to be worth the price of admission? Can you gain levels playing vrs the AI or does it have to be versus live players? Is the whole weather system an annoying gimmick?

Do any CoH vets know of a good tutorial/guide to getting up to speed in multiplayer?

YES! thank you :cool:

EDIT: wow, that was kinda sketchy. they email you a jpg of the cd-key? lol.. whatever works i guess. glad i waited.

Why I haven't bought from that store, the reason they email you a picture of the cd key is most likely sot hat if there's any problems down the road you can show steam (or the company that made teh game) that you have proof of the cd key.

Check back in about a week..I wanna know if Steam will remove the key.

I don't think Steam removes keys, at least, I have never heard of it happening. Hell, I returned a game to worst buy when I found out it was just a key to activate on steam, which I did. Still in my library.

I don't think Steam removes keys, at least, I have never heard of it happening. Hell, I returned a game to worst buy when I found out it was just a key to activate on steam, which I did. Still in my library.

Happened to me when I bought a skyrim key from one of those sites...No explanation from Steam just removed from account.

How do you guys like the UI so far? I tried the beta and the interface seemed aimed morr at style than function.

I watched the TFN company of heroes 2 championship tournaments yesterday. Pretty interesting to watch some of the best in the world go at it. The final tournament was a 5 round setup between the final two players. Each round they would switch sides. What I found to be interesting is that even though everyone shouts about German armor being OP, the Soviets dominated. So, the first guy to play as Soviets won, then they switched factions and the other guy now playing as soviets won, then they switched back and soviets won, then they switched again and soviets won, and then they switched again and soviets won. There was only one match where the Germans put up a real fight.

What was really interesting is that they had a Relic developer there to do commentary during one of the matches and he provided a lot of good insight into the game. Things like the exact damage that units do, and the probability of different things happening like vehicles being abandoned instead of destroyed.

I watched the TFN company of heroes 2 championship tournaments yesterday. Pretty interesting to watch some of the best in the world go at it. The final tournament was a 5 round setup between the final two players. Each round they would switch sides. What I found to be interesting is that even though everyone shouts about German armor being OP, the Soviets dominated. So, the first guy to play as Soviets won, then they switched factions and the other guy now playing as soviets won, then they switched back and soviets won, then they switched again and soviets won, and then they switched again and soviets won. There was only one match where the Germans put up a real fight.

What was really interesting is that they had a Relic developer there to do commentary during one of the matches and he provided a lot of good insight into the game. Things like the exact damage that units do, and the probability of different things happening like vehicles being abandoned instead of destroyed.

Damn, I had watched the first day of that, but forgot to follow up the next day. First time in a long time I found myself consistently rooting for the Germans. :)

When people complain about "German armor being OP" what they're really saying is they dont understand the game or are just new to it or are wasting time in a turtling mentality thinking they'll build up a 50-tank invasion force and unleash it all at once, meanwhile the other player has beat them and the game's over.

The reason the soviets will win in a good player's hands is because Soviet infantry is OP early-game, and they'll keep germans off fuel points so their armor plan never gets off the ground. That's the basic strat.

@ JapaneseGorilla - do you have a link to the match archives of the tournament you watched? I like to watch high-level replays of RTS games more than playing them lol.

@ JapaneseGorilla - do you have a link to the match archives of the tournament you watched? I like to watch high-level replays of RTS games more than playing them lol.

I'd be interested in a link too!

Back