Company of Heroes 2

I'm certainly looking forward to this, but I'd be mildly surprised if THQ was still in business in March.... (and quite surprised if they're around long enough to support it to fruition).

Company of Heroes and Warhamer 40K Dawn of War have been some of the best strategy games of the last few years, but I'd still trade CoH 2 in if somebody would pick the Homeworld license off THQ's remains and do something worthwhile with it.

Game looks good, if a little "CoH plus snow", but I'm as wondering whether THQ will be able to stay afloat till release, and if not who will pick up Relic. And I dearly hope somebody does. I also want more CoH and dawn of war!

CoH2 will get published no matter what happens to THQ. It is basically done, someone will pick it up and Relic will have a new publisher.

CoH2 will get published no matter what happens to THQ. It is basically done, someone will pick it up and Relic will have a new publisher.

last light too?

i feel bad for anybody is the gaming industry that goes under. sucks that people are going under but activision makes the same game 12 times and is doing just fine

Metro's developer is it's own company and not owned by THQ, they are more likely to just find an alternative publisher. Although ownership issues over the Metro brand or other contracting issues may or may not be a factor.

Relic actually had large layoffs during development of CoH2 which may or may not have an effect on the end product.

Seems a lot of us in this thread feel the same way about THQ. Does anybody have any information on how the latest humble bundle has helped (if any) THQ?

I tried to get into the closed beta (no luck) I have my preorder in as well. I am thinking it might need something more then just the "winter" thing going for it. I also caught somewhere where you can no longer build machine gun nests just anywhere but only on cap points? Any comment Azureth? or are you under NDA still?

I also caught somewhere where you can no longer build machine gun nests just anywhere but only on cap points?

That would be a bummer and imho an indication where they took game play. CoH was a great game. I had very very few complaints if any, and I would be hard pressed to find ways to improve it. I hope they didn't start removing key features. I liked creating defenses on the fly. It was equally fun taking them out.

I tried to get into the closed beta (no luck) I have my preorder in as well. I am thinking it might need something more then just the "winter" thing going for it. I also caught somewhere where you can no longer build machine gun nests just anywhere but only on cap points? Any comment Azureth? or are you under NDA still?

As far as I'm aware, you can drop them in any place you control.

Is this still getting released next month for sure? :eek:

FTA:

This preview originally appeared in issue 248 of PC Gamer UK, just before the game’s publisher THQ caught fire, fell over and sank into a swamp. As far as we know, Company of Heroes is still set for release under new publisher Sega, but no date has been confirmed.

I had to laugh at the Monty Python reference regarding THQ.

The number of resource points on each map has been gramatically reduced...

Auto-correct strikes again.

its essentially finished and somebody bought it. i cant imagine it taking too long to come out

Downloading Company of Heroes 2 now! :wheee: This game is going to be so epic...

I'm really excited about this, haven't played a serious RTS in a while. Just hope it doesn't get crushed in the media because of what happened to THQ.

I'm really excited about this, haven't played a serious RTS in a while. Just hope it doesn't get crushed in the media because of what happened to THQ.

Well Sega owns it now and they've remained fairly profitable throughout various storms so obviously they saw the value in the title.

Sega really seems to be making a push toward RTS as a company. Glad to see it.

Can't wait for the beta to start either (tomorrow?).

Beta tomorrow!? damn .... One game I really cant wait for and I never signed up for the beta

Artillery (squads) are brutal.... no longer will it take 10 shots to kill you.. watched one round take out an entire squad... AI moves VERY fast even on easy... they have patched it once already yesterday.

bummer I didn't see the post about beta keys until too late :|

edit: wow, cool, I tried to follow the instructions anyway and received a key!

bummer I didn't see the post about beta keys until too late :|

edit: wow, cool, I tried to follow the instructions anyway and received a key!

it might be awhile until they run out of keys, the giveaway lasts until the 23rd or until they run out. obviously we dont know how many they are giving out but if they planned to give them out for 20days one would expect them to have quite a few to give out.

and i think if they do run out they add more keys as they need too.

this is a stress test i think also.

edit - although they seem to be out right now too heh id check back often im sure more will go up over the next 20 days.

Last edited:
Scored a beta key from PCGamer. It's a 6 GB download so it will be running overnight. Looking forward to giving it a play this weekend.

The UI is really, really bad. There seems to be a lot of people who agree so hopefully Relic takes the feedback into consideration.

Missed out on the second batch of keys. I guess I will keep checking back hoping for a third batch!

The UI is really, really bad. There seems to be a lot of people who agree so hopefully Relic takes the feedback into consideration.

Did you actually play the first CoH or is this your first CoH game? If you played original CoH then what's worse about the UI of the new one? I looked at some beta gameplay video today and I dont see the problem -- looks the same or improved.

In other news, kicking myself for being about 20min late to this offer.

Last edited:
I'd give you mine if I could. Tried it for like 10 minutes and had enough. No good tutorials at all. Had no clue what I was doing. I've only played StarCraft type strategy games. While some concepts were similar, most things are dramatically different.

big_aug: I guess the lack of tutorial is because its not meant as a singleplayer demo in the traditional sense. However there's a reason CoH is one of the highest rated RTS's of all time, if I were you I'd start with the first CoH - either find a cheap key on Steam or at a minimum try the singleplayer demo on Steam. Also, sometimes you can find CoH and its expansions Opposing Fronts and Tales of Valor in a bundle for fairly cheap. That will have tutorials. CoH is easily in my Top 3 games of all time, I'd recommend it to anyone and so writing it off based on the CoH2 beta would be a mistake I think.

Last edited:
Did you actually play the first CoH or is this your first CoH game? If you played original CoH then what's worse about the UI of the new one? I looked at some beta gameplay video today and I dont see the problem -- looks the same or improved.

In other news, kicking myself for being about 20min late to this offer.

I own CoH and both expansions. There are significant differences between both UIs and there's a big thread about it in the beta forums. The main thing is that it's pretty difficult to get vital information quickly because of how it's structured and the color scheme clashes with the text.

I own CoH and both expansions. There are significant differences between both UIs and there's a big thread about it in the beta forums. The main thing is that it's pretty difficult to get vital information quickly because of how it's structured and the color scheme clashes with the text.

Interesting. Thanks for the explanation, and I'll check out the beta forum. Its still more than 2 months from release so hopefully they'll listen to the feedback.

EDIT: Nevermind. I thought there was no NDA for this but I guess there is.

Last edited:
I'd give you mine if I could. Tried it for like 10 minutes and had enough. No good tutorials at all. Had no clue what I was doing. I've only played StarCraft type strategy games. While some concepts were similar, most things are dramatically different.

i guess some basic info on the game from a noob *im a noob at CoH*

BTW the beta does have a few video tutorials to cover some of the basics like building, cover, and the new winter mechanic.

Game Modes:

Victory mode - works like conquest mode in BF series try to control the Star points to reduce the enemy tickets to 0.

Annihilation Mode - pretty much destroy all the units/bases of the other team.

Resources:

Manpower - Used for purchasing every unit and gained over time.

Fuel - Used along with Man power to purchase Mechanized units like half tracks, tanks ect and possibly some specialty units, its gained slowly over time or faster if you control more of the Gas can symbols points on the map.

Munitions - used for calling in special abilities like airstrike, off map artillery ect, its gained at a medium rate, and can be gained faster by controlling the ammo symbol points on the map. it is also used by individual units for throwing grenades or special attack abilities that units have.

Some basic gameplay.

This is from the Russian POV, i havnt played the Germans yet.

The Main building you see at the start is your HQ the only units built there is engineers and conscripts (basic rifle man)

Engineers are used to build primary buildings:
infantry tent (Snipers, elite infantry squads)
support unit building (mortor, Machine Gun squad, anti tank)
Light mechanized building (Half tracks, jeeps ect)
Tank building (Light, Medium, heavy tanks)

each of those buildings has a different manpower, fuel cost so you have to think about the order you want to build them and how to spend your 3 resources.

Each unit you build counts to your population cap, i think the beta has a 100 population cap and a heavy tank for example uses 14 of that 100 cap. so you can only have so many units on the battlefield at a given time.

at the start you have 2 options for your first move.

Plan A: send your initial engineer squad to go capture territory, while telling your main building to build a second engineer squad.

Plan B: Have your initial engineer squad build either an infantry barracks or Support Barracks.

just depends on your play style or strategy.

After that youll want to focus on holding Fuel dumps and if in victory mode the Star Control points and hold out until either you kill off the other team or reduce the tickets to 0.

Be sure to remember to set up cones of fire and kill boxes with Machine Gun Squads, mobile infantry anti tank arty and mortors.

Right click and drag in the direction you want the machine guns and anti tank crews to face you will see a distinct cone of fire where they can hit without having to reposition.

Don't forget to use cover, when moving infantry if you see the yellow dots it means that area provides light cover, if you see green dots that means it provides heavvy cover and materials matter, stone walls are better than wood walls ect.

Back