Company Creates Sarcasm Punctuation Mark

HardOCP News

[H] News
Some company created a sarcasm punctuation mark. How useful! And, at only a $1.99 it is a real bargain too (insert sarcasm punctuation here plz)!

"Statements have the period. Questions have the question mark. Exclamations have the exclamation mark. When you see the newest punctuation mark for sarcasm, you'll know the writer of that sentence doesn't literally mean what they're writing; they're being sarcastic," the company said in a release.

Hmm. No.

Sarcasm punctuations depends on what the sarcasm is, usually including italics to emphasize sarcasm, and on forums, followed by a rolleye emote.

Really? :rolleyes:

I would rather people have to try and figure out if I am being sarcastic or not. It is far more entertaining to watch people twist themselves in a knot over assumptions. The punctuation takes all the fun out of it.

Just what every needs ... a way to make it blatantly obvious that you are being sarcastic. How did we ever survive with out it ? <-- excuse old fashioned puncuation

Looks like an upside-down embryo. Single eye on the side and all.

Please don't tell me I'm the only one that thinks that, that would be most excellent.:rolleyes:

a sarcasm punctuation mark?

rolleyes_big.gif

Hmm. No.

Sarcasm punctuations depends on what the sarcasm is, usually including italics to emphasize sarcasm, and on forums, followed by a rolleye emote.

Really? :rolleyes:

That isn't sarcasm.

No joke, that is seriously the most stupid and out-of-place punctuation mark I have ever seen. Maybe good for some Mesoamerican language, but for English? Yeah, right.

PS. The best part of sarcasm online, is people being unsure whether it's sarcasm or not, thus creating the sar-chasm.

PS. The best part of sarcasm online, is people being unsure whether it's sarcasm or not, thus creating the sar-chasm.

Yes, but too many people ride the line between being sarcastic and just being a plain a-hole and calling is sarcasm. I think we should have an a-hole mark as well, just so you can let people know that even you think you're an a-hole. Maybe a circle with a dot in the middle.

Hmm, could work. Testing time :D

Yes, but too many people ride the line between being sarcastic and just being a plain a-hole and calling is sarcasm. I think we should have an a-hole mark as well, just so you can let people know that even you think you're an a-hole. Maybe a circle with a dot in the middle.

I think that's a brilliant idea (o)

There, sarcasm and a-holism in one sentence :D

No, what they really need, and what this board needs - Is the facefalm smiley face.

The best part about sarcasm is trying to slide it by the listener/reader. Why would you spoil that fun by making it blatantly obvious?

or one could just use the tried and true
"</sarcasm>"

That would be like using </statement> or </question>. It's only there because of lack of a better mark.

There should be a way to express emotion in written text. Some of that is handled by smileys and those are easy enough to write, even without forum software converting them to images, but sarcasm doesn't seem to have one. In person, you can just use the inflection of your voice or body language to denote sarcasm.

One smiley that I think is ingenious is the shifty-eyes.
<_<
>_>

Back