Companies Not Upgrading To Vista?

HardOCP News

[H] News
A new poll out is claiming that almost 64% of businesses surveyed do not plan on moving to Vista in 2007. That seems a bit high but, if that number holds true industry wide, the impact could be devastating to MS.

According the survey, almost two-thirds of CIOs surveyed, 63.6 percent, have no plans to invest in Microsoft Office 2007 or its new Vista operating system in the next year. However, they do plan to invest in computer hardware, storage, and security.

I would have thought it to be around 80% myself.

I don't see how businesses would improve productivity with Vista, but I can surely see the costs associated with a rollout.

Steve said:
A new poll out is claiming that almost 64% of businesses surveyed do not plan on moving to Vista in 2007. That seems a bit high but, if that number holds true industry wide, the impact could be devastating to MS.

I know exactly why companies won't be upgrading to Vista. Mainly the fact that to get the full experience, it requires quite a hefty system upgrade. Most of the 'Productivity' machines in cube farms don't even have 3D capabilities, in order to discourage workers from playing games on company time. Most of them have only 512mb of RAM, which even further prohibits doing anything with Vista. Lets face it, Vista is a pig, the requirements needed to run it simply aren't cost effective for the amount of productivity, or lack thereof, that could be garnered from running the OS.

Sadly enough, the only companies that will be upgrading to Vista are mom and pop shops, or small businesses that have less than 100 licenses to worry about. Large scale companies just don't trust the OS yet, and aren't willing to sacrifice any kind of productivity in order to invest in it. We saw the same trend when Windows XP came out, lots of companies stayed with Win2K for a good while after it came out.

Some are still using windows 2000.

Some companies are also held back by current software. I know from testing that some of the software that is ran where I work won't run under Vista. Thus XP is all the further we can upgrade unless we get newer version of some of the software we use.

Some places like hospitals also need to test and test and test every configuration that they run to make sure it is problem free. I don't see them installing any OS during its first few months or even first year after release.

Ayebeehm said:
Sadly enough, the only companies that will be upgrading to Vista are mom and pop shops, or small businesses that have less than 100 licenses to worry about. Large scale companies just don't trust the OS yet, and aren't willing to sacrifice any kind of productivity in order to invest in it. We saw the same trend when Windows XP came out, lots of companies stayed with Win2K for a good while after it came out.

It's not so much a matter of trust, I think, as it is change. There doesn't seem to be any compelling business reason to move to Vista. XPSP2 is in place, stable, and productive. Vista also represents a whole new way of management and deployment. IT shops have already patched together the workarounds and tools they may need but don't have in XP. And, I don't think many large scale shops will want to scrap all those tools they've worked so hard to get in place and functional. Factor in Ballmer saying that MS must release operating systems sooner might mean skipping Vista altogether in some shops. I have Vista business in a test computer and was able to get it from my job, and it's nothing we're looking at in our place. I think we'll be scrubbing Vista off new PC's and holding on to XP as long as possible.

Hmm. My office is right at the end of their hardware cycle, so we should be getting new systems during Q1. I'm interested to see what they'll be.

At my work we are still using Windows 2000 as well.....and on relatively modern hardware. We aren't due to upgrade computers for another 2 years or so...so the earliest we would most likely move to Vista would be then.

Ill purchase vista if my tax returns are large enough. If not, WinXP for me for another year.

For crying out loud why does this surprise anyone? Seriously I have no doubt that in the first year after XP's release at least 2/3 of businesses didn't run headlong into an upgrade. In fact it took quite a long time to get the majority of companies on board. How can this be "devastating" to MS? Silly.

Our IT team decided to hold off on both Office 2007 and Vista. We plan on getting the enterprise version of both titles.
All new systems purchased will not have vista preinstalled and the vista update will be held for later install.

The upgrade was included in our 07 budget for both upgrades but we decided to hold off after a year of testing and many custom software issues in house.

We decided to push the money towards updated training for employees(MCSE,CCIE), extended overtime periods, and updating parts of our hardware infrastructure with a priority in switching and security..

After working with vista and office 2007 for a long period of time I have fallen in love with the security and stability of the apps.

XP is so ingrained at this point that we can wait. We have a solution for nearly every problem. Vista would help us get rid of a few third party apps but why when it is goign to cost us an arm and a leg to do so.. So I guess at this point the overall opinion in our IT team is "why replace it, if it ain't broke!"

close to 6,000 workstations where I work (hospital system). Probably 95% are still Windows 2000 (and working perfectly for everything we do). Newest machines are going out as Windows XP. If you mentioned the idea of going to Vista to my boss, she'd either laugh or give me that "shut the hell up and go away" look...

There nothing dramatically different about Vista when compared to 2000/XP to warrant an upgrade. Add to that the hardware requirements starting with a DX9-compatible GPU and that's one huge bill to rack up. I'd say give it a few years, probably a year or two after Vista "R2" comes out, for corporations to start considering an upgrade.

This is of no surprise to me. Most large businesses don't run out and grab the newest OS as soon as it comes out. They have existing infrastructures that usually work well enough and the problems associated with changing over to a new OS are usually large, time consuming and expensive.

Making sure all your software works with the new OS is another problem. There are many pieces of software out there that don't work on newer OS's and businesses need this software for their business to run. Therefore, an OS upgrade to Vista is virtually impossible.

Most large businesses take a wait and see attitude towards an OS. They wait and see what problems come up for other people and wait for the fixes before they spend the time and effort in putting the OS in place for themselves. Basically, let others do the large scale beta testing. Also, in house validation of hardware and software to work with the current infrastructure takes time.

This same thing comes up for every major Microsoft OS release. The effect is the same every time. I remember this for the 98-2k upgrade and again with the 2k-XP upgrade.

At my job, there are still machines running Windows 95. They work for what is needed of them. Well, sorta as they only have 64 meg of RAM. I wouldn't care to use any of those machines again and with some of the software I run, I wouldn't be able to. The old PIII 700 I had won't run my current software for shit. I'd spend half the day waiting for something to get done before I could do anything else. I just happen to get lucky and before this current software rolled out, I was due for a computer upgrade to a P4 2.8 with 512 RAM. There are still a lot of people running the aforementioned PIII's.

Basically, many businesses will wait and they'll wait about a year before upgrading to Vista. The graphics part of Vista really isn't a concern. The Aero desktop is not required for the machine to be productive so the 3D graphics aren't really a problem. Now, hard drives with good speed and having a gig of RAM is a different story. Vista just doesn't run worth a damn with 512. I've done it before and didn't care for it at all. That was with and without Aero enabled.

After about a year you'll most likely see businesses getting Vista with new system purchases. Until then, XP will still reign in the corporate business world.

I still think the main adoption rate for Vista in the first year will be in the consumer sector just because most the new pre-built systems will have Vista installed on them.

but dont these companies know you will need AreoGlass for productivity and DX10 is required for Office 2007 :p

who was it that said "Andy Grove giveth and Bill Gates taketh away" heh

If M$ is surprised then its been reading too many of its own press releases?

Realistically there would be little impact on MS if businesses didn't change over as most big companies are on Licensing agreements. They pay a 1 or 3 year subscription fee, so in effect they have paid for it already, MS don't lose.

Cheers

If 36% of all companies in he US moved to Office 2007 and Vista in 2007 then it would probably be the single most profitable year in MS's history. That would be an insane adoption rate for a new OS by businesses. This is actually a very good number, not a very bad one.

Migrate to Vista and Office 2007? The winery I work for (we have like 50 PCs) as a helpdesk technician is just in the process of upgrading everyone to Windows XP and Office 2003!

LOL.

And I'm the only one that's implementing it for them. My boss does the higher end stuff.

No surprise here. We won't update our computers unless we are sure all the software we use can work. From past OS upgrades we wait a good year plus or minus before getting the new stuff.

Steve said:
the impact could be devastating to MS.
Devastating? :rolleyes: C'mon Steve, that's hyperbole, MS has such a cash reserve, the worst it might do is cause the stock to drop a few dollars. Besides BEFORE companies can upgrade their OS, they're going to have to upgrade their hardware.

Ooh, lets spread more fud..

Most large companies do not upgrade to the latest and greatest as soon as it hits the streets. Where I work is still in the midst of upgrading all the corporate machines to windows XP, of course this is 30+ thousand machines.

If anything MicroSoft releasing Vista will increase the sales of XP to corp customers.

This is a misuse of limited statistical data. First, it's gathered from the "quarterly CIO Magazine Tech Poll released Friday ". And it's only a projection, as they know this "poll" doesn't represent all businesses. Now it might be interesting information if we knew how many large corporate CIOs actually subscribe to this magazine. But at best it's probably highly optimistic. Unless a company needs a complete overhaul of their IT infrastructure, Vista doesn't really make sense.

As I recall, when XP came out, we were still in the process of moving to 2000 form NT. As everyone else has said, big companies don't jump on a new OS. My guess is that most companies only go to a new OS when they upgrade H/W and I suspect that most upgrading H/W this year will choose XP over Vista.

Even I don't run out and buy the latest OS when it comes out...though if MS sends me that Vista Business DVD, I'll probably install it :D

Coming from an enterprise IT background, where OS evaluating/speccing hardware and software purchasing decisions was part of my mandate I'm thinking: "Why would they?".

Is XP even ubiquitous at this point?

From a business point of view I still don't see the "value added" of Vista, certainly not enough to offset the upgrade costs and there's no way I could recommend budgeting for that.

Maybe when XP support stops...

<snip>... Even I don't run out and buy the latest OS when it comes out...though if MS sends me that Vista Business DVD, I'll probably install it :D

Microsoft has confirmed that they will send me a copy of Vista Ultimate, some time in mid February. But I won't install it on my current machines, due to the fact that there are driver incompatibilities. I anticipate that I would want to build a completely new system for Vista. It's just that I want to make sure that the hardware I buy is compatible with Vista, and drivers are available.

Ahhhh the blatant ignorance in this thread towards Vista.

NOT counting using third party applications, Windows Vista absolutely blows Windows XP out of the water in functionality, usability, and general usefulness as an operating system for business applications. The only limiting factor and reason to not use it: it is hardware limited (most businesses run machines with 512mb of RAM), and the fact that its not a completely mature product yet. Its going to take a little while for drivers and applications to get everything sorted with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_Vista

I'll let that do the talking for me. As an IT professional, I would NOT recommend upgrading from XP to Vista at the moment if everything is working professionally and smoothly. I can however say that the tools Vista provides for me to do my job, far outweigh my misgivings about recommending a new software package to a medium sized business. I can do more things with Vista tied into group policies to limit computer usage and abuse than I ever could in XP.

I would recommend it to companies installing fresh OS's on fresh, new, fast machines.

the poster above said it best.

frankly as another IT guy, say what people will but at this stage in the life of XP, MS made a pretty damn good OS. And when all costs are said and done....really if it's not broke don't fix it.

that being said, migration to Vista probably won't be seen for a bit yet, either when support for xp ends or when Vista is both as solid as XP and cost effective for productivity on hardware.

I can do more things with Vista tied into group policies to limit computer usage and abuse than I ever could in XP.

Do you really want your job marginalized by an OS?

Anyway just because Vista may allow the IT dept to perform their job with ease, it still doesn't mean that it will increase productivity of the company as a whole.

Back