Comp keeps restarting for no reason...

Bennyb

2[H]4U
I keep getting the "Windows has just received a serious error" stuff... And every time I report it , It just says that the issue was caused by a Device driver.

It happens when im playing games, and it also happens when im doing nothing at all.

?????

You might be getting BSODs if it's restarting spontaneously. By default, Windows XP/2000 have "Automatically Restart" enabled so that when you get BSODed, comp reboots.

Check to see if this behavior is disabled by going into System, then Advanced Tab, then Startup and Recovery settings, and uncheck the box next to "Automatically restart."

Two things come to mind - faulty graphics drivers, or incorrect memory timings.

I had the same problem a month back (a thread of mine is somewhere in the video card forum). I have an ATi 9600XT, and every day, my comp would restart and give me the "Recovered from fatal error" message. I switched between 8 different sets of video card drivers, nothing worked.

Turned out my RAM had incorrect memory timings, even though I never touched them. Set them back to what my RAM was supposed to be running at, and problem fixed.

BigBadBiologist said:
Another easy thing to check is your CPU temp. Overheating may cause similar issues.

Thats what I would have thought at first... But my comp sits at about 33 deg F idle, and never goes about 39...

I'll try downloading some new vidcard drivers...

As BillLeeLee suggested, it could also be a RAM issue. Try downloading memtest and see if it finds anything. You may need to loosen your timings a little. I also run most of my RAM sticks at 2.7V it seems to increase stability in general.

BigBadBiologist said:
As BillLeeLee suggested, it could also be a RAM issue. Try downloading memtest and see if it finds anything. You may need to loosen your timings a little. I also run most of my RAM sticks at 2.7V it seems to increase stability in general.

Yeah maybe ill do that... I had mine running on max voltage in my other comp, which was like 2.8 or something, and they are rated up to 3.3...

Haven't changed timings EVER.

Ok, Tried raising the DRAM voltage to 2.8... windows won't start. Go to 2.7, defualt is 2.6. Ok, everything is running fine for a while.

Decide after seeing star wars that it is time for some Jedi Knight II: Outcast... Now it seems that whenever I play for an hour and a half my computer either restarts, or just locks up...

Its not heat problems i think....

Back