Commonwealth Fusion Systems Raises $1.8B, Starts construction on Fusion Reactor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
As an update to this story from last year, a new story is making the rounds this morning.

Commonwealth Fusion Systems, an MIT spinoff, has now raised $1.8B and has broken ground on their new headquarters and SPARC reactor site at the former Fort Devens site in Massachusetts.

SPARC is a Tokamak reactor utilizing a new type of superconducting magnets to contain the fusion reaction.

The previous reactor built inside of the former Nabisco factory off the MIT campus was able to run, but the copper-based electromagnets needed to contain the reaction required ~20megawatts of of power, consuming all the energy theoretically able to be produced by the reaction.

The new superconducting magnets are able to contain the reaction using only 20W of power, one 10 millionth of the power required in the previous design, and if it all works will make this plant the worlds first energy positive fusion reactor.

Nuclear Fusion is the opposite of the Nuclear Fission used in existing nuclear power generation. Instead of splitting atoms into a chain reaction to generate energy - as the name suggests - Hydrogen atoms are fused to produce Helium and Energy. It is a safe process. Unlikle Nuclear fission it is not a runaway chain reaction, and does not produce any radioactive waste. The waste product is just helium.

Theoretically just one quart of Hydrogen gas generated from seawater could be used as fuel to power 10,000 homes for a year, with no dangerous waste, and no carbon emissions.

Some may roll their eyes at the list of investors. The Gates foundation, George Soros, Marc Bemioff, and John Doerr have all contributed large sums in the Series B fundrasier resulting in a total of $1.8B, but like these guys or not, one thing is for sure. They did not become billionaires by making poor investments. When serious money is betting on the technology to win, we can feel pretty sure that energy positive Fusion is no longer the stuff of Science Fiction.

These are exciting times. I'm tempted to send them my resume. I don't know if I have the skills they need, but this is exciting enough that I want to be a part of it if I can.

Fusion is only a matter of time. Seems like every time I look at the news these days there's something about plasma physics. Once you get beyond covid of course.

I think it's amazing to think that we have high temperature superconductors now. When I was in school we were always taught that this would be a holy grail, but was far off.

Bring on the real solar power :)

"The Gates foundation, George Soros"

Oh great....Some of the most dangerous people on planet earth, Soros specifically.

Meanwhile PG&E will still force California customers to Time of Use schedules where even off peak prices are over 30c per kWh :D :D :D

Fusion is only a matter of time. Seems like every time I look at the news these days there's something about plasma physics. Once you get beyond covid of course.

I think it's amazing to think that we have high temperature superconductors now. When I was in school we were always taught that this would be a holy grail, but was far off.

Bring on the real solar power :)

I find it pretty amusing that 20 Kelvin is considered "high temperature" :D

Well this thread has gone full retard, thanks RWNJs.
As opposed to LWNJ's? Soros is one of the most evil people that I can think of on this planet. He sold out fellow Jews to the Nazis and BRAGGED about it. You have to be a special kind of evil ass to do that.
But it's all right wing conspiracy, amiright?

As opposed to LWNJ's? Soros is one of the most evil people that I can think of on this planet. He sold out fellow Jews to the Nazis and BRAGGED about it. You have to be a special kind of evil ass to do that.
But it's all right wing conspiracy, amiright?

I mean that’s a bullshit RWNJ conspiracy right there so yes.

Bill Gates is the largest funder of the WHO, he funds CNN, he has education programs in schools he funds to create journalists for his
https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CREC-2006-09-29/html/CREC-2006-09-29-pt1-PgE1917.htm

You're not very good at this. Maybe you should stop before you look more foolish.
I'm just generally amazed that people are refusing to believe these people are as crappy as everyone says they are. It doesn't take much research to find that these two have their hands in literally everything. Their influence is immense. Just look at this recent article on Gates: https://thegrayzone.com/2021/11/21/bill-gates-million-media-outlets-global-agenda/

These two are freaking everywhere.

Bill Gates is the largest funder of the WHO, he funds CNN, he has education programs in schools he funds to create journalists for his

I'm just generally amazed that people are refusing to believe these people are as crappy as everyone says they are. It doesn't take much research to find that these two have their hands in literally everything. Their influence is immense. Just look at this recent article on Gates: https://thegrayzone.com/2021/11/21/bill-gates-million-media-outlets-global-agenda/

These two are freaking everywhere.

Nice, an agenda pushing opinion piece for dupes, makes a lot of sense that this is what you guys read lol

Nice, an opinion piece for dupes
The point isn't whether to agree with the author or not, but to see how far-reaching the Gates Foundation influence is. Whatever your stance is, it's never good practice to be willfully ignorant because of biases. Pretending something doesn't exist doesn't make it true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back