Commodore 64 Mini Coming to North America on October 9

Yeah, but who h

Yeah, but who has a VIC 20? :)

I hav one in storage. I don’t think I’ve touched it since 98 or 99.

I have always been much more of an Atari 8 bit guy, adding quite a bit to my Atari 8 bit collection. With Avery’s Altirra emulator and Atari 8 bit keyboard stickers for modern keyboards, I’m almost exclusively using Altirra.

Ah, the Amiga 500. I had one, an amazing piece of work. It wasn't perfect, but it was freaking incredible considering the size of the team that supported it. If the playing field had been level it would have won the personal computer wars.

Some people say the Atari PCs were the better system, but if you looked under the hood and got close to the metal you saw that the Amiga was a very clever animal. Everything else, including the IBM PCs and the Mac, were poor sisters.

The Amiga was indeed a clever animal, as well as being the younger sibling of and true spiritual successor to the Atari 8 bit computers. It was a shame that Kaplan and his associates weren’t funded better so they could have brought Amiga to market around the time it was shown in early 84. It was so far ahead of other systems available at the time.

The one system from that era I still haven’t added to my collection is an Apple IIGS.

USB 1541 emulation makes this a must buy for me.

There were so many games for the C64 it would be impossible to acquire and license all the good ones, but the fact that you can add your own makes this way better than all the other retro systems.

I think I might do one of the following. Either buy this, and mod it, and re-house it in a nice custom case. OR... Buy a small NUC or Pi, and do the same with that and VICE. VICE is probably more flexible, but this thing is probably a snap to set up, and mod assuming everyone is correct with the file loading. I mean, I'm happy with just running VICE on my GHTPC, but this little thing kind of has me excited to build something for the purpose. Just because.

Neat, but I'm done with C64. I want a Mini-Amiga like others on here. Hell not long ago I was cruising Ebay trying to find A500/600/1200s in good shape. Damn they are expensive. Hard to drop a grand on 30 year old computers.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my C64... I ran a C64 BBS while I was in high school. But I always wanted Amiga but couldn't afford it (and it was cheaper THEN that it is now).

I've played with winuae, but it lacks... something. I would pay real money for an new Amiga classic (HDMI is a must!) that came pre-loaded with stuff or let us load our own WHD etc.

But the C64 classic is a step in the right direction. If it sells well maybe we will eventually see an Amiga one.

And joystick wise, I had a TAC-2... thing was indestructible.

Normal_tac2.jpg

The C64 mini website says a full size version with functional keyboard is in the works. If the mini supported the classic joystick port, I would bite.

Neat, but I'm done with C64. I want a Mini-Amiga like others on here. Hell not long ago I was cruising Ebay trying to find A500/600/1200s in good shape. Damn they are expensive. Hard to drop a grand on 30 year old computers.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my C64... I ran a C64 BBS while I was in high school. But I always wanted Amiga but couldn't afford it (and it was cheaper THEN that it is now).

I've played with winuae, but it lacks... something. I would pay real money for an new Amiga classic (HDMI is a must!) that came pre-loaded with stuff or let us load our own WHD etc.

But the C64 classic is a step in the right direction. If it sells well maybe we will eventually see an Amiga one.

View attachment 110271

Yeah, this was also my favorite Amiga joystrick. I had a few. Slikk Stick? Suncom, Tac-2 ... those names comes to mind. I mean, hell, it's been nearly 29 years since I had all my Amiga stuff. From around 1990 to 93 or 94. I don't even remember now. I just recently was able to pick up an Amiga 500 near mint condition in the box. I ordered $40 worth of video cables / converter box to get video on a modern HDMI set. But NEED this joystick. They are rather expensive on eBay. I did find one at a random 2nd hand-hardware tech store for $20 last year. I'm gonna go looking for it when I get a chance to drive over there.

View attachment 110271

TAC-2 was the king of the joysticks for playing Activision Decathlon! We broke one way back when by connecting one to a Milwaukee Sawzall.

I've got a C64 DTV 2 feet away from me. I've had plans of hacking it for years now, but have never gotten around to it. Periodically I check in on the Commdore 65 clone/upgrade at mega65.org . The Amiga Mist type setups are nice, but I'd really dig having a real Amiga. The one piece of retro type gear I wasn't aware of until early this year was the Color Maximite (Colour Maximite for you Commonwealth guys) that runs on top of a PIC32 setup.

Still trying to get an Amiga 500 setup, but some people want way too much for some of them. Would rather get a complete setup than do each part separately, but will go that route if i can't do it that way. (No real hurry though)

Most of these devices are shit quality controllers. These days that'll be the only part that cost any money and so they scrimp. I'd rather have a C64 emulator on a Raspberry Pi DIY kit. I don't trust any of these.

When I had my Amiga 500, I modified a Sega Master System gamepad for it.

I discovered at one point that certain controllers executed a "space bar" press (Genesis pad for one) so if you were playing Turrican for example, you didn't have to reach up to hit the space bar to do the line attack. I figured out which pin that was on the port.

So, I wired the first button on the pad for normal "fire button". Then I wired the second one to "DPad Up" (so I could hit a button to jump instead of pressing Up). Then I hacked in a roller-style micro-switch to act as a shoulder button (before such buttons were standard issue on SNES and the like). So I could play something like Turrican 2, and do all attacks and jumping using buttons. It was nice, and those Master System pads were pretty comfortable.

I may be interested in the full size, if it has usable device ports.

My favorite was the Epyx 500XJ.

NssHPux.jpg

817j3PMI99L._AC_.jpg

Reactions: GT98
like this
Just what I wanted. To start loading a game, go out to dinner, do a couple loads of laundry, watch a movie or two and maybe have it loaded by the time I'm done all that.

I may be interested in the full size, if it has usable device ports.

My favorite was the Epyx 500XJ.

View attachment 119685

View attachment 119686
ahh memories... not of that particular controller but the fact that basically every joystick used a 9pin dsub connection instead of every game system out there having their own proprietary interface for their controller, blame Nintendo for getting that ball rolling there. All if memory serves the Sega Genesis also had a Dsub connector... but then again look at where Sega ended up.

ahh memories... not of that particular controller but the fact that basically every joystick used a 9pin dsub connection instead of every game system out there having their own proprietary interface for their controller, blame Nintendo for getting that ball rolling there. All if memory serves the Sega Genesis also had a Dsub connector... but then again look at where Sega ended up.

The Master System and Genesis pads worked perfectly for the C64 and Amiga. In fact, you could then wire a button to the same pad as "D-Pad Up" and handle jumping on a button, so you didn't have to jump by pressing Up all the time. Not sure where I mentioned it before, but I had a totally modded out Master System pad for playing C64 and Amiga games. Button One was the normal Fire Button, Button Two was wired to Up for jumping, and then I added a little roller-microswitch on the shoulder that would initiate a Space Bar press on the Amiga. With that button you could trigger the line-attacks and bombs in Turrican. It was a shoulder button before shoulder buttons were a thing on the SNES. :D

Edit: Oops!!! It was this thread that I wrote about that Master System pad, and only a few posts up. (almost word for word even). :oops: :D Now I feel like the guy at the bar that tells a story to one person, and when that person stands up, I start telling the guy on the other side. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

MiSTER is a pretty neat thing to look into, in regards to Amiga.

Necro post.... I got an Amiga 500 mini for xmas. It is cute as a button, but nostalgia is a powerful drug when you play these games from the mid 80's and realize most are not even on par with Genesis. The included games are mostly trash except Zool and Another World.

If anyone has one check this out : https://www.aminimiga.com/ it's an 8gb download but expands to 16 or so on a usb drive. Gives functional workbench and has a ton of games. I played Defender of the Crown... and was totally underwhelmed at how shitty it was. I played the living hell out of that on 64, Amiga version doesn't look much better (maybe some more colors).

Haven't decided if it's getting returned or not.

Necro post.... I got an Amiga 500 mini for xmas. It is cute as a button, but nostalgia is a powerful drug when you play these games from the mid 80's and realize most are not even on par with Genesis. The included games are mostly trash except Zool and Another World.

If anyone has one check this out : https://www.aminimiga.com/ it's an 8gb download but expands to 16 or so on a usb drive. Gives functional workbench and has a ton of games. I played Defender of the Crown... and was totally underwhelmed at how shitty it was. I played the living hell out of that on 64, Amiga version doesn't look much better (maybe some more colors).

Haven't decided if it's getting returned or not.
Does it come with Lemmings? That is one of my fav games ever made and there is nothing like playing it on the old systems it was made for. I kept my 1994 Compaq Presario around for 15 years just so that I could play that game and The Even More Incredible Machine on originally compatible hardware.

If one is emulating anyways, wouldn't the better option be a raspberrpi 4 with amibian (when the price gets back down to normal, that is)?

Chuck it in an amiga 1200 case with a converter for the keyboard input, if you are that nostalgic. I gather cost for this option would be around €150 + price of pi.

Last edited:
Does it come with Lemmings? That is one of my fav games ever made and there is nothing like playing it on the old systems it was made for. I kept my 1994 Compaq Presario around for 15 years just so that I could play that game and The Even More Incredible Machine on originally compatible hardware.
It does not come natively with Lemmings, but if you use the Aminimiga package it is in there.

Reactions: gvx64
like this
Necro post.... I got an Amiga 500 mini for xmas. It is cute as a button, but nostalgia is a powerful drug when you play these games from the mid 80's and realize most are not even on par with Genesis.
This is something I always try to keep in my back pocket when thinking about "new toys to get" nostalgia is in fact a powerful drug. A good check is just to get any one of the other emulators out there and "not so legally" get games you want to play and see if you still would like to pay money to play that "legit"

Back