Commercial Tubing that Doesn't Leach Plasticizer?

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
Hey everyone,

In all of my builds to date, I have just used primochill tubing, largely because I didn't want to have to worry about whether my commercially sourced tubing I selected would leach plasticizer and gunk things up. I figured if I bought something specifically marketed towards PC water cooling, at least I won't have that issue.

Now I am embarking on a new project. I'm tired of computer noise at load, so I am considering an "other room" solution, where I run tubing out of my office, and do the cooling somewhere where noise doesn't matter. The plan is to run the tubing above the drop ceiling in my finished basement. Only problem is, I'd prefer to not have to splice it, as I'd rather not have leaks in the ceiling.

By my estimates I'd need at least 40ft of tubing each way, possibly more.

Does anyone know of any commercially available tubing (preferably 3/8 ID) that comes in long lengths, and has been verified to not leach any substances?

Appreciate any suggestions.

Hey everyone,

In all of my builds to date, I have just used primochill tubing, largely because I didn't want to have to worry about whether my commercially sourced tubing I selected would leach plasticizer and gunk things up. I figured if I bought something specifically marketed towards PC water cooling, at least I won't have that issue.

Now I am embarking on a new project. I'm tired of computer noise at load, so I am considering an "other room" solution, where I run tubing out of my office, and do the cooling somewhere where noise doesn't matter. The plan is to run the tubing above the drop ceiling in my finished basement. Only problem is, I'd prefer to not have to splice it, as I'd rather not have leaks in the ceiling.

Does anyone know of any commercially available tubing (preferably 3/8 ID) that comes in long lengths, and has been verified to not leach any substances?

Dasmode sells by the foot. Not sure about tje certified part but its prob safe. Custom cut to length https://www.dazmode.com/shop/waterc.../flexible-tube-3-8″-id-5-8″-od-10-16mm-clear/

Hey everyone,

The only issues I can foresee is tubing that long binding up. It tends to do that on long runs. Well, that and you may need a stronger pump or an additional in-line pump depending on the length of the run.

The only issues I can foresee is tubing that long binding up. It tends to do that on long runs. Well, that and you may need a stronger pump or an additional in-line pump depending on the length of the run.

I was considering threading it down a continuous length of 1/2" pipe insulation foam. That ought to keep it nice and straight.

Either way, I have a couple of runs of tubing already which I am using to drain condensate from dehumidifiers in the basement, and once unrolled and untangled, they have maintained their straight shape in the ceiling, allowing the condensate to be pumped out without a problem, so I wasn't anticipating any real issues here. I never worried about leaching with this tubing though, as it is just waste water that's going down the drain...

I could always just solder some copper pipe too, but that seems like a pain in the butt, and then I have to adapt it to G1/4 at the ends somehow, or at least attach a barb.

As for the pumps, I was planning on using my dual inline EK D5 G2 pump top. I figured due to the extra moving mass, it might take longer for the coolant to accelerate up when changing pump speeds, but that otherwise it should work well once filled.

If not, I could always rock some sort of old school powerful eheim pump or something like that.

Last edited:
Are there any rules of thumb for avoiding plasticizer? Is PVC the way to go, or are there better options?

Are there any rules of thumb for avoiding plasticizer? Is PVC the way to go, or are there better options?
Not really. I've never heard of it being a problem for any application. Alternatively, you could use PETG for the long runs and transition to PVC at the ends where you need it.

Consider a larger inside diameter for a run of that length to reduce resistance. Might take new fittings, but it should be easier on the pump(s).

Dasmode sells by the foot. Not sure about tje certified part but its prob safe. Custom cut to length https://www.dazmode.com/shop/watercooling/tube/38-id-58-od-tube/flexible-tube-3-8″-id-5-8″-od-10-16mm-clear/
I dunno, but after reading the first and only review of it, I would be cautious;

" Baljit Sanghera (verified owner)June 5, 2021
Clouded QuicklyThese became cloudy really quickly. I had a bunch of white stuff in my reservoir when I drained it."

This is for the 1/2" ID 3/4" OD.

I dunno, but after reading the first and only review of it, I would be cautious;

Clouded QuicklyThese became cloudy really quickly. I had a bunch of white stuff in my reservoir when I drained it."

I have been using the same tubing (the ultra clear) that review was left on since Aug of last year and I don't see any build up in my blocks or reservoir.
I have not drained my loop yet but the last time I had leaching plasticizer It definitely build up a layer of gunk in my GPU and CPU block fins and I am not seeing that with this tubing. So far so good.

I have been using the same tubing (the ultra clear) that review was left on since Aug of last year and I don't see any build up in my blocks or reservoir.
I have not drained my loop yet but the last time I had leaching plasticizer It definitely build up a layer of gunk in my GPU and CPU block fins and I am not seeing that with this tubing. So far so good.
Yeah that's why I stated "The one and only review". Glad your system is still good. I remember way back I used masterkleer tubing and it got cloudy and leached. I've been using Primochill ever since. Zero issues.

Could very well be that the reviewers gunk came from something else. "White stuff" makes me think of flux from a radiator that hasn't been well cleaned.

Easiest solution would just be move the PC. But if I were to be running long distances of water filled tubing through a ceiling, I'd have to start thinking of it as plumbing.

I'd go with PEX. Cheap, easy to install, and I'm sure there's a way to convert it back to suitable tubing/fittings at the ends.

Easiest solution would just be move the PC. But if I were to be running long distances of water filled tubing through a ceiling, I'd have to start thinking of it as plumbing.

I'd go with PEX. Cheap, easy to install, and I'm sure there's a way to convert it back to suitable tubing/fittings at the ends.

I like the idea of PEX. It would be super simple to run, much easier than copper tube, and have all the benefits of an "infrastructure" run, as compared to hack-ish tubing.

That said, while I see pex in water supply (both hot and cold) and in some limited waste water applications, I have never seen it used in a closed loop. I don't even know if it is tested for leaching. The only results I get googling this are from the environmentalists who are prone to drinking water freak-outs, nothing from industrial coolant loop applications, ehich would be the most relevant.

I like the idea of PEX. It would be super simple to run, much easier than copper tube, and have all the benefits of an "infrastructure" run, as compared to hack-ish tubing.

That said, while I see pex in water supply (both hot and cold) and in some limited waste water applications, I have never seen it used in a closed loop. I don't even know if it is tested for leaching. The only results I get googling this are from the environmentalists who are prone to drinking water freak-outs, nothing from industrial coolant loop applications, ehich would be the most relevant.
https://www.mcmaster.com/pex-tubing/

1st sentence mentions no plasticizer. Could directly contact a manufacturer. They might be able to help with that. I believe it just because of how incredibly stiff the stuff is.

https://www.mcmaster.com/pex-tubing/

1st sentence mentions no plasticizer. Could directly contact a manufacturer. They might be able to help with that. I believe it just because of how incredibly stiff the stuff is.

Thanks for that reference. Good info.

There are two ways to read that sentence.

"Without plasticizers like DEHP" could mean that it has no plasticizers at all (and they are using DEHP as an example of a plasticizer) OR it could mean they don't use plasticizers in the DEHP family, but they have other plasticizers. I wonder how lawyerly they were feeling when they wrote that statement.

Either way, it is probably a good sign.

After some additional googling, I did find this guy on Youtube who was ahead of us all, using PEX "tubbing" for his water cooled build already back in 2011(!)

Yeah, I am starting to think PEX is probably the way to go. I could even color code them, one length in red and one in blue to make it easier to figure out the flow direction.

I'll have to do some research on how to adapt the PEX to something I can use on the PC and pump sides. I've never worked with PEX, so I don't know how compatible it is with other fittings (barbs, etc) and what fittings are on the market specifically for PEX.

I will ahve to walk around the home depot plumbing aisle a little and get a feel for it.

Something like this with a hose clamp might do it.

Just about every plumber I know curses loudly at the mention of the word "sharkbite", insisting they are a leak waiting to happen, but I have to admit, I don't know enough about them to decide for myself yet. Some research is in order.

Thanks for the suggestion.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Just use PEX and crimp fittings. Sharkbite is a fucking rip off for what you are doing.
I can't press the like button enough times on this. Just make sure the crimper is calibrated and it's off to the races. They make crimp fittings for just about everything.

Just about every plumber I know curses loudly at the mention of the word "sharkbite", insisting they are a leak waiting to happen, but I have to admit, I don't know enough about them to decide for myself yet. Some research is in order.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Sharkbites do indeed suck.

Something that won't leach substances? Let me introduce you to the last flexible tubing you'll ever need: US Plastics Tygon A-60-G

This tubing is made out of norprene. There is no plasticizer, and it is properly to ID/OD spec, unlike some water-cooling "zero maintenance" tubings like what EK sells. If the white lettering on the side bothers you, I heard it can be scrubbed off with a sponge and some soapy water. Waybe a magic eraser? Don't know.

Norprene is good but it doesn't withstand too much pressure which shouldn't be an issue with "hobbyist grade" stuff. ;-)

I've serviced laser heads using this stuff with DI water that hadn't been touched in over a decade and the water is crystal clear.
The white lettering can be removed with most organic solvent bearing cleaners such as painter's "goof off".

Something that won't leach substances? Let me introduce you to the last flexible tubing you'll ever need: US Plastics Tygon A-60-G

This tubing is made out of norprene. There is no plasticizer, and it is properly to ID/OD spec, unlike some water-cooling "zero maintenance" tubings like what EK sells. If the white lettering on the side bothers you, I heard it can be scrubbed off with a sponge and some soapy water. Waybe a magic eraser? Don't know.
That stuff looks great, but it's expensive for the size 3/8 ID 5/8 OD I need. $3.09 per foot. 20 feet is also $20 to ship. It would cost me $80. The thinner wall stuff is a good deal though.

That stuff looks great, but it's expensive for the size 3/8 ID 5/8 OD I need. $3.09 per foot. 20 feet is also $20 to ship. It would cost me $80. The thinner wall stuff is a good deal though.
Sadly the thinner wall stuff will kink very easily if you try to bend it.

Yeah that's kind of crazy expensive. You might be able to source more reasonably priced industrial tubing from a local hardware store. Basically you are just looking for something made out of neoprene/norprene/EPDM. I would recommend sticking with thicker walls though.

Watercool (Heatkiller) also makes a similar tubing called EPDM. Good stuff. I would not recommend the EK ZMT. Stuff is notoriously out of spec with ID/OD measurements, and I've seen too many reports of bits of it flaking off into the loop, or else being very dirty.

Anyone used this stuff from watercool? Watercool EDPM tubing It looks like it's the same as EK's ZMT for about half the price. I wouldn't be surprised if it is just relabeled from the same manufacturer.

Sadly the thinner wall stuff will kink very easily if you try to bend it.

Yeah that's kind of crazy expensive. You might be able to source more reasonably priced industrial tubing from a local hardware store. Basically you are just looking for something made out of neoprene/norprene/EPDM. I would recommend sticking with thicker walls though.

Watercool (Heatkiller) also makes a similar tubing called EPDM. Good stuff. I would not recommend the EK ZMT. Stuff is notoriously out of spec with ID/OD measurements, and I've seen too many reports of bits of it flaking off into the loop, or else being very dirty.
Oops, I posted about the watercool brand before refreshing and seeing this. For the record, I have been using the EK ZMT for a couple of years now with no issues. I do like the fact that it's pretty thick. It is tough to get on some of the the compression fittings, but not too bad.

Oops, I posted about the watercool brand before refreshing and seeing this. For the record, I have been using the EK ZMT for a couple of years now with no issues. I do like the fact that it's pretty thick. It is tough to get on some of the the compression fittings, but not too bad.
Yeah some have no issues with dirtiness, but the issues with the compressions is down to the slightly out of spec ID/OD of the ZMT. EK couldn't get that right to save their lives.

Hey everyone,

Tygon laboratory grade tubing,
try https://www.thermofisher.com/search...y=tygon&persona=Catalog&refinementAction=true

Have you thought about not using a radiator at all? Normally, it wouldn't make sense to simply heat up a tank of water and then let it cool during off hours. In the context of building out cooling infrastructure which includes over 70ft of tubing, however, it might.

With a 1200W continuous load, it takes 30min to heat 5gal of water from 23.9C (75f) to 50C. With a 60gal fish tank and a single 3090 gaming load (assuming 600W of GPU + CPU heat), you're looking at 11-12hrs of non-stop gaming to heat that fish tank to 50C. You could then let it cool by itself overnight.

If you do want to stick with your remote rad setup, just run a water-to-water heat exchanger next to the PC. Run your favorite coolant in the PC side of the loop and then run anything you want (even biocided-tap water) for the remote side. You won't have to worry about special tubing or coolant this way.

Back