Command line utilities

Kaos

[H]ard|Gawd
Im looking for a CLI type program or command to encrypt an ntfs volume.

Anyone know of a command already present that would encrypt a drive/voume?

i figured encryption = security so ill drop the post here.

What OS are you using, Windows something? If so, just be aware that encrypting the drive is actually something done only if you are really aware of the risks. The biggest risk is the OS dying...in which case you can't unencrypt your data. May as well toss it. This is because the OS controls the encryption key. Once that key is lost, the battle is all over.

Most security experts will first say don't do it. But if you absolutely need it, then go for it.

I know Windows XP has encryption available, but I'm not aware of the CLI command to do it...

Here is a link for some possibly useful info: http://www.webservertalk.com/archive53-2004-3-147864.html

Kaos said:
Im looking for a CLI type program or command to encrypt an ntfs volume.

Anyone know of a command already present that would encrypt a drive/voume?

i figured encryption = security so ill drop the post here.

With respect to the volume you want to encrypt, will this just be a data volume or will it contain system files or OS files?

What OS will this be for?

Windows XP has the Cipher command which uses EFS.

lol Kaos...you make it sound so sinister...are you trying to get even with an ex-gf? :)

If you're just looking to dispose of some disks while dealing with the data already on them permanently, there are other ways to do it, like zfill or wipesomething...damn...I'll look that up if you're doing that, otherwise screw it. :)

Cipher/ W looks to be a fun little command for this mission
Cipher said:
Removes data from available unused disk space on the entire volume. If this option is chosen, all other options are ignored. The directory specified can be anywhere in a local volume. If it is a mount point or points to a directory in another volume, the data on that volume will be removed.

Cipher /X backs up the EFS recovery certificate and keys to a file, making it possible to recover encrypted data even after the installation (and SIDs) are gone. Have fun!

Back