Come see our latest creation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so incredibly disappointed with this thing. I don't own a laptop, but I do own a iPhone. Why would I need this?

• Small storage space
  • No camera (no doubt they're release it with a cam, on it's next iteration)
  • Beefy CPU but no multitasking?
  • UI is exactly the same - a "big iPhone" was an understatement
  • Big ugly bezel

There's only one market I can think of that might want this, and it's the guy who wants and eReader, and doesn't have an iPhone. You spend a bit extra, and you have a nice device that can do much more than read books.

But I think I'm stretching there.

I see the big bezel as a place to hold it from, so your fingers don't get in the way of your content when you're watching a movie or TV, it might not be the prettiest part of the device, but it is functional.

I still don't want one though.

Am I right in noticing that there's no solid info on the new processor other than its clock speed? I'm thinking it's probably just a homegrown ARM. Any other ideas?

Well, here's to hoping the bugs in Hackintoshing the ASUS 1201 get worked out. A dualcore Atom/Ion (or dual core ULV/9400) 10-12" netbook type device is what Apple should have released, for around $600-$700

Not a iPod Touch writ large. Too big to fit in a pocket, and I'm not going to carry around a laptop bag to basically carry my Touch, so no thank you.

This. where would we keep this thing and what would protect the screen?

So the solution is that every site makes an App just to view their site/content. Got it! :) j/k

Anyway, looks like multi-tasking is out too... I think I'll stick with my MBP.

Why does that suck? If the whole springboard interface is basically a "favorites" page anyway, why wouldn't use it? Most of the website conversions to app versions are better at browsing the site than the web pages are anyway.

Rather than chew another post I'll edit in my other thoughts too:

Why does this still rely on the their silly docking port? I get that it sort of allows you to use this as a method for outputting the display (Keynote to a project for instance) but, I wouldn't dock this in that vertical (mostly) dock. I'd be too afraid the pins would break and now I have no way to sync it up. Why even bother with a keyboard dock when you should be using Bluetooth for keyboard and extra device connectivity. Why are we still syncing over a cable anyway? AppleTV has shown us we can sync over the network. Why aren't we using the wireless to sync or again falling back to bluetooth?

Why isn't this touted to be a second PC for the home? Run it with keyboard at your desk, pick it up and move to the living room.

There really should have been more of a bridging the gap between iPhone OS and OS X. This should run both. You should be able to dive into the iPhone OS almost like you can with Front Row on a Mac and just as easily jump out when you need a full machine. To be honest, I still see the new potential for a device like this, but it has to mature. Guess it will be like the iPhone, I won't need one until the second iteration.

Last edited:
Well that was a HUGE disappointment. I was hoping for something to actually kickstart the tablet market.

3G with AT&T. What a fucking joke! 5GB AT&T"unlimited" softcap FTW! Add another MID to the already overloaded AT&T network. What a brilliant move! Oh and $29.99 isn't a deal. That's standard pricing for data plans lmao.

No multitasking.
No Flash.
No USB ports.
No camera.

Love how you have to pony up extra money so that you don't have to HOLD the iPad upright or crane your neck for 6 hours on a cross country flight.

If you're marketing a tablet PC why do you turn it into a 9.7 inch Mac complete with keyboard? Oh wait...don't want all those lawsuits from people developing carpal tunnel I guess.

Pricing sucks for all of it too. Cheaper then I expected but $500 for a giant sized iPod touch with only 16GB of space? Please. I'll take the more powerful laptop for $500 Alex.

So far my Droid can do everything the iPad does. Hell iPhone/iPod touch does just about everything iPad can do. Smaller screen but guess what? At least those fit in your pocket and are just as useful.

Why the hell does this device exist?

I want one to keep on the bedstand/coffee table. So I can do some light browsing/email/etc while watching TV or while the fiancee is reading her book. Also, going to family functions would be much more tolerable with this in tow.

If you thought Apple was going to try and do a tablet that replaced laptops, I'm not sorry you are disappointed, that experiment has failed. It's a different device for casual use.

"Note: iPhone OS 3.2 does not support iPhone and iPod touch devices. It runs only on iPad." - Apple Developer Connection, via What's new in iPhone OS 3.2 Document.

I am somewhat interested. I mean on the one hand a tablet with a customized OS X would have been about a million times more interesting, but this still has potential. And you have to admit it makes business sense for them to use the iPod OS so they can leverage the power of the App store.

The only thing that bugs me is the storage. $499 seems a perfectly fair price, but I would want the 64gig to match my iPod touch so I could haul around my iTunes library and the like with room to spare, and well the 64 gig version is getting up there in price. Not sure about that.

Still seems plenty interesting. I will wait and see one in person. I think it has potential for me as net machine + ebook reader + (and my favorite part) awesome remote for my HTPC. :)

Not feeling the love are you? lol

Well that was a HUGE disappointment. I was hoping for something to actually kickstart the tablet market.

3G with AT&T. What a fucking joke! 5GB AT&T"unlimited" softcap FTW! Add another MID to the already overloaded AT&T network. What a brilliant move! Oh and $29.99 isn't a deal. That's standard pricing for data plans lmao.

No multitasking.
No Flash.
No USB ports.
No camera.

Love how you have to pony up extra money so that you don't have to HOLD the iPad upright or crane your neck for 6 hours on a cross country flight.

If you're marketing a tablet PC why do you turn it into a 9.7 inch Mac complete with keyboard? Oh wait...don't want all those lawsuits from people developing carpal tunnel I guess.

Pricing sucks for all of it too. Cheaper then I expected but $500 for a giant sized iPod touch with only 16GB of space? Please. I'll take the more powerful laptop for $500 Alex.

So far my Droid can do everything the iPad does. Hell iPhone/iPod touch does just about everything iPad can do. Smaller screen but guess what? At least those fit in your pocket and are just as useful.

Why the hell does this device exist?

I want one to keep on the bedstand/coffee table. So I can do some light browsing/email/etc while watching TV or while the fiancee is reading her book. Also, going to family functions would be much more tolerable with this in tow.

If you thought Apple was going to try and do a tablet that replaced laptops, I'm not sorry you are disappointed, that experiment has failed. It's a different device for casual use.

Yeah, there's nothing better than browsing the web while grandpa is telling one of his stories about making his own cheese.
...or going to bed so you can....browse the web and look up how cheese is made.

The world is a better place.

Did you guys watch the iPad video at:

http://www.apple.com/ipad/

It's 10 minutes long, but IMO it sells the iPad much better than the conference.

Watch it, it might change your minds. Whether or not you want that is up to you.

This device would really work well with grandma. I'm not trying to be funny here, but granny and the rest of the population that only needs simple things like email, skype (yes, webcam is missing), this would work really well for them. It's so much simpler than turning on any kind of laptop, including Apple laptops.

Yeah, there's nothing better than browsing the web while grandpa is telling one of his stories about making his own cheese.
...or going to bed so you can....browse the web and look up how cheese is made.

The world is a better place.

Soon to be step father in law drones on while watching CNN all day long. This would be nice, and less obtrusive than the macbook.

I won't be buying one because I have a macbook and an ipod touch, but given how I use my touch (rarely listen to music on it), I would rather have the ipad over ipod.

As far as where to put it, I'd put it in my messenger bag, or my backpack, or my luggage, or whatever else I'm using as a de facto carry on.

I am in for one.

Also, lawlz @ all the Apple hate here. No one is forcing you to buy it.. :rolleyes:

I was really hoping that it would be a Mac Tablet rather than a big iPod touch..

At the price they are selling it, I can still see myself maybe getting one, but I'm definitely waiting to see what the rest of the market comes up with.

For example, the HP Slate is about the same size, but runs a full OS (win7) and may be a better fit, no idea how it will run or what it will cost though.

I'm certain Sony will come up with something too.

I suspect that the iPad will face tougher competition than the iPhone/iPod did.

This device would really work well with grandma. I'm not trying to be funny here, but granny and the rest of the population that only needs simple things like email, skype (yes, webcam is missing), this would work really well for them. It's so much simpler than turning on any kind of laptop, including Apple laptops.
Agreed.

That's why I'm thinking of getting one for my mom. She just wants to be able to surf the web for 20 mins once every couple of weeks and maybe check her email if it's easy. And with the iPad, it is.

This thing would be perfect for her. Plus the ebooks and all that stuff, of course.

Also, lawlz @ all the Apple hate here. No one is forcing you to buy it.. :rolleyes:

Not to make a point, but check the sig, I'm a huge apple fanboi honestly. If it's a work computer I will use nothing else if given the option. Hell, I'm waiting on the refresh to replace the BlackBook because I want MORE POWA!.

At the same time, this fills a Niche that doesn't exist. It's an eBook reader that is trying to pass off as the second coming. It is a netbook, but without a keyboard, or a real OS capable of running Office (ok, iWork is alright and I could make do with it, but a real machine needs Office still).

It's basically an iPod Touch with a bigger screen. That in and of itself isn't a bad thing, but it isn't the second coming, which is what it's been made out to be.

You guys should think about what you can do with the ipad instead of what it cannot do. I would really like to have a camera though.

If it comes jailbroken or can be jailbreakable..you can

Things I know I can do if I have an ipad
-Install backgrounder and Kirkae and you instantly have the ability to multitask
-Use bluetooth connectivity with iphone..internet tether so you don't have to pay 2x to ATT
-Use it as a home theater remote, maybe control the entire house...who knows
-If it Had a camera(which I'm sure it will be added in the future)..you can have video conferencing like in sci-fi movies(provided that you use internet tethering).

I am a slate tablet owner and I am no fan of apple...but I am still amazed at the technology. It has the thickness of an iphone, and it's only 1.5lbs with a 10 hour battery life.

It however will not sell because...........

girls have NO interest in this product unless if they make farmville for the ipad or do SOMETHING to sell this thing to girls. Girls do NOT want to carry anything bigger than an iphone and even that they think it's bulky(therefore if girls doesn't like it..it becomes a geek item instead of a mainstream item...so it's not "hip or cool" to have an ipad at starbucks)

I'm getting a 32 minus 3g and getting a mifi instead. Will keep my iPhone till contract runs out and then back to verizon for voice too.

You guys should think about what you can do with the ipad instead of what it cannot do. I would really like to have a camera though.

If it comes jailbroken or can be jailbreakable..you can

Things I know I can do if I have an ipad
-Install backgrounder and Kirkae and you instantly have the ability to multitask
-Use bluetooth connectivity with iphone..internet tether so you don't have to pay 2x to ATT
-Use it as a home theater remote, maybe control the entire house...who knows
-If it Had a camera(which I'm sure it will be added in the future)..you can have video conferencing like in sci-fi movies(provided that you use internet tethering).

I am a slate tablet owner and I am no fan of apple...but I am still amazed at the technology. It has the thickness of an iphone, and it's only 1.5lbs with a 10 hour battery life.

It however will not sell because...........

girls have NO interest in this product unless if they make farmville for the ipad or do SOMETHING to sell this thing to girls. Girls do NOT want to carry anything bigger than an iphone and even that they think it's bulky(therefore if girls doesn't like it..it becomes a geek item instead of a mainstream item...so it's not "hip or cool" to have an ipad at starbucks)

We shouldn't have to jailbreak anything to do minor things like MULTITASK!. It's sad that every smartphone out there other then the iPhone can multitask but iPad cannot.

It's basically an iPod Touch with a bigger screen. That in and of itself isn't a bad thing, but it isn't the second coming, which is what it's been made out to be.

So it's Apple's fault that the media hyped the thing beyond Apple's realistic ability to fulfill? :rolleyes:

So it's Apple's fault that the media hyped the thing beyond Apple's realistic ability to fulfill? :rolleyes:

Yes, it is. It would be naive to assume that the hype wasn't carefully orchestrated by none other than Cupertino's PR department.

Sold. Great machine for taking notes in client meetings and I can hook it to the projector for quick whiteboards. Perfect.

It would be naive to assume that the hype wasn't carefully orchestrated by none other than Cupertino's PR department.

It would be conspiratorial to think that everything originated in a marketing department, especially considering how Apple tends to sue rumor sites.

I really don't think Apple authorized the CEO of McGraw-Hill to spill the tablet beans the night before the presentation.

I don't see a whole lot of "Apple hate." I see a lot more dissapointment for a specific Apple product. MartinX's first line, right after your post, echos my feelings as well:

I was really hoping that it would be a Mac Tablet rather than a big iPod touch..

This thing will be good for certain groups of people, but I was hoping for more of a full featured OS on a tablet form device. Which is why I stated earlier that I think some of the nice new "Slates" running Windows 7, shown off at CES, are more compelling/interesting products.

I am in for one.

Like stated before.. it's not hate, everyone is just upset they were let down. If this thing had any semblance of an underlying os I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Guess what though, it's a $600+ content distribution system (itunes... bleh). Apple is typically innovating and ahead of the curve, this just feel like they took a step in the wrong direction. They're looking for a niche market where there really isn't one.

I hope you enjoy yours (not being sarcastic at all). I just feel like apple could have done a little more to appeal to a wider audience.

I'm underwhelmed

I wanted something that I could do work on while being all space agey and multitouch

What we got was an ipod touch on steroids.

No multitasking? This is 2010 not 1999 and this should be standard.
No usb ports? This will surely change, I can't believe that a company like Apple would overlook it.
AT&T only? You have got to be kidding me? Why bother getting a data connection only to hamstring it with one of the worst wireless networks available currently?
I don't know what the problem is between Apple and Verizon Wireless but they need to fix whatever the hell they are ASAP because once Verizon comes out with their 4g network and gets their new spectrum implemented this item would be usable.

Ok we get it - apple loves their smooth/curvy/glossy and rounded design that everybody and their goat is duplicating. Time to think outside the box and come up with something new that doesn't look like an ipod. Now I understand why they're calling it the itampon.

That's an interesting thought.

where can you watch the presentation if you missed it live?
Just watch the iPad video at apple.com. It's shorter and tells you more.

I just want an iPad native full featured Cisco VPN client, SSH, VNC and ARD and I'm ready to ditch my laptop for this thing (wifi and 3g version).

As much as I like my iPhone, the Cisco VPN built in is so basic its useless for 90% of the VPN types currently deployed at most of my clients.

It was what I expected, I am on the fence about getting one... I wonder how much RAM it has.

The HP slate also looks awesome, I wonder what quarter in 2010 it is coming out? Anyone know something more specific than "2010"?

I would use the iPad for e-books, and thats where I think some of the people are wrong about the girls.

If they seriously establish a good selection of e-book textbooks, I could see lots of girls carrying this around instead of a bunch of books...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back