Comcast Upgrades Speeds for Xfinity Internet

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
For all of you Comcasters out there subscribing to Performance Xfinity plans, you just got a boost in data speed absolutely free. If you haven’t notice the speed increase yet, it’s because you actually have to power down your modem and restart. It’s as simple as that. :cool:

Comcast is upgrading its data speeds because it knows that there is a growing trend of consumers using more than one wireless device in their homes to access the internet.

Yeah I got a nice boost over the 36/6 which I had before.

2660729260.png

I subscribed to Extreme 50 a few months ago. Last month they bumped me to Extreme 105. I'm glad they did it without trying to grab more money.

2589674831.png

I used to get 25. Restarted the modem and it goes over 25 but fails to hit even 30. Looks like I will have to upgrade my 2.0 modem to a 3.0. I wonder if Comcast will upgrade mine free of charge... or maybe I should buy a Surfboard.

And yet still there are bandwidth caps. Even Time Warner doesn't have any caps for now , I would rather have that then a speed bump..

I used to get 25. Restarted the modem and it goes over 25 but fails to hit even 30. Looks like I will have to upgrade my 2.0 modem to a 3.0. I wonder if Comcast will upgrade mine free of charge... or maybe I should buy a Surfboard.

I would just buy it. It'll pay for itself in 9 months or so because of how expensive Comcast modem rental fees are.

Suppose to be 50+. Wow, really expensive commys. 105 is $115 a month. Don't need it that fast that bad. wow

I have a Doc 3.0 modem, still not doubled yet.

ANYONE WHO NEEDS TO UPGRADE TO 3.0

Go to www.comcast.com/deviceupgrade and fill out the form. They will send you a replacement modem. Choose the "rent" option in the Ref ID box if you are renting. The other options, I can't help you with so you may need to call Comcast and ask.

DUDE, bro, a DOCSIS3 cable modem costs less than $100 and might even have a two year warranty; you're probably paying around $7/mo for that rental. Do yourself a favor and buy the modem; they last long enough for you to get a return on the investment.

ANYONE WHO NEEDS TO UPGRADE TO 3.0

Go to www.comcast.com/deviceupgrade and fill out the form. They will send you a replacement modem. Choose the "rent" option in the Ref ID box if you are renting. The other options, I can't help you with so you may need to call Comcast and ask.

If your looking to buy, you call up comcast after purchasing your modem (make sure to look over the supported DOCSIS 3.0 modems that Comcast lists), they need the devices MAC address to enable it for your account and than they list the modem under your devices, if they dont list it under your accounts devices, even if its active, it will shut the modem down in 14 days. Once this is done, you can bring your rented modem back to one of their office locations. Make sure the rented modem comes off your device list for the account or they will continue to charge you the wonder $7 a month rental fee.

And yet still there are bandwidth caps. Even Time Warner doesn't have any caps for now , I would rather have that then a speed bump..

Comcast hasn't enforced their caps for almost a year(they're open about the caps being suspended.) I've been going over 1TB/month without any notices for at least 6 months.

Comcast hasn't enforced their caps for almost a year(they're open about the caps being suspended.) I've been going over 1TB/month without any notices for at least 6 months.

Yeah I go waaaaaay past cap, maybe not 1TB/month, but they havent bothered with me at all.

I've heard the opposite from friends. One got a notice last month since he downloaded 560GB's and was told to "curve his usage" or face "further measures that could impact his service".

As usual Comcast says one thing and does another.

Same here. I never bothered worrying about the caps, have gone over pretty consistently month after month.

Just rebooted and tested, nice boost (previously had been about 30/5:
2660789339.png

The Comcast DOCSIS3 modems appear to only bond up to 4 channels so buying a modem that supports 8 channels could be advantageous over renting. I have noticed some of Comcast's DOCSIS3 modems can handle the 105 speeds so beware if you are on that tier. If you want to swap your Comcast DOCSIS2 for a DOCSIS3, just go into any local service center. Make sure you get a receipt.

I noticed the boost a few weeks ago. I can't complain about 'free' speed :)

2632557311.png

Used to be 30/5

Oh damn I didnt even notice. I have Performance or something and it was at 25/2, now I get 50/5. I like free upgrades.

My WRT54GL has met its match with the newest Comcast upgrades -- can't get past 25Mbps download. Maybe a Cisco 5505 can... ;)

2660823659.png

They haven't enforced them in a long time. they may eventually come back but it's a non issue unless you are a 10 ten user in the area.

It isn't good when my first thought on hearing this news is that it is a ploy to get people used to using a TON of data.....and then reinstating the data cap down the road.

Maybe I am being to pessimistic....

Ive had the blast for a year and was already at ~52 down 8-10 up, went and rebooted my setup anyway and it looked like my modem downloaded some update, around a constant 55 and 10

As for "data caps":

Can we get a show of hands as to who has the ISP software installed and who doesn't?

I really would like to know if this software has anything to do with who gets notices on usage.

DUDE, bro, a DOCSIS3 cable modem costs less than $100 and might even have a two year warranty; you're probably paying around $7/mo for that rental. Do yourself a favor and buy the modem; they last long enough for you to get a return on the investment.

$60 / amazon prime, last time I checked.

Although the speed boost is nice, I really wont be content until the caps GO AWAY! I would rather have the speed I paid for prior (12/2) than to have (20/4) without the caps, or hell if you want to play the caps game and make excuses based on lies, double it instead of the broadband speed. In all reality doubling the speed really just makes a mockery of there own reason for caps.

It's a pain in the ass for those of us that have fully moved online with all of our habits. Listen to the radio online, watch YouTube political commentary more than the average person would, Netflix for TV/Movies, and streaming gaming tournaments on Twitch. I don't believe the average person uses 10GB a month either and if they did they aren't using the other 240GB of there cap so why even try and profit off of the 1% that goes slightly above or even double there cap. Still have a lot of unaccounted bandwidth that they are reserving. Where is that going.......

I wonder if these increases will carry over to their business class users.

Eh .. depends how their business setup is. I talked to Cox business and they wanted $750/mo for the line I have at my residence. Same line, just commercial.

i dont think the increases actually affect their business class as of yet. according to the press release they sent out its only an increase for blast and extreme which bumps their speeds to 25 and 50 down respectively.
they do mention the platinum tier of 305/65 & now including their signature support at no additional costs, but thats still a residential package.

the press release makes no mention of biz at all. but just like on the residential side, there are a lot of people that get more speed than what their advertised speeds are supposed to be (i had been getting ~20/2 for about a year and a half on the blast which was advertised as 12/1 for example)

I dumped Comcast for a local DSL provider that doesn't throttle my data to streaming services. I'll admit I miss the raw bandwidth, but DNS lookup is much faster.

Back