Comcast Tests Data Overage Fees In Additional Markets

HardOCP News

[H] News
Which would you rather have? A.) Your internet speed throttled. B.) Get charged for overages on a 300GB data cap. C.) None of the above.

In May 2012, Comcast announced it would eventually do away with its policy of throttling data speeds for home Internet users who routinely went over 250GB a month, and that it would instead start charging overage fees for customers who passed the 300GB threshold. The boys from Kabletown had been testing that model out in Nashville for quite some time, and now that test is expanding to at least three other markets.

If it meant lower prices I'd be all for it. Hell I'd limit myself to 100GB a month if it cut my cost by half. They'll never reduce the cost though.

It sure is a good thing data caps exist, wouldn't want that tank of internet to be depleted too fast. :rolleyes:

I'd rather be throttled any day over overages. My Cable bill is already high enough.

Give me a cap of 10TB on a 2 year contract with the cap doubling every 2 years and I will think about it.

Are they fucking kidding $10 for 50 gb? They're on a Docsis 3 network now. That's robbery considering what that should be able to support.

I'm glad I was able to get Fios when I moved. Dealing with comcast for years was horrendous.

C then A then B... With A being REASONABLE throttled speed. And B having REASONABLE overage fees.

And only A or B if you can buy a bigger plan for those that do xfer more data...

Oh and Fios ftw.

oh the fee if you go over 300GB $10/50GB
if you go over might as well use all 50GB your paying for

also id bet 5 bucks this is do to how much the next gen of consoles wile be tied to the net
with built in streaming your looking at using a LOT of that cap up fast

This is one of the big reasons I moved to Kansas City so I could get Google fiber.

Traditional cable services are on their way out. Online steaming is exploding and expected to over take cable and satellite subscribers within the next 5 or 7 years. Already the losses are causing these businesses to drastically increase their fees and or limit bandwidth.

I get 90 to 96MB down a sec. 5GB file - 9GB file takes a few minutes

Data caps need to go away, because ultimately they are one of the biggest things hindering the expansion of the internet at this point.

No so much residential caps at this point but caps on cell data service, etc radically alter the way many deliver content in order to accommodate that.

250gb? 300gb? Why are we still talking about the same data caps that were being talked about 5+ years ago? That is one of the main problems with caps, once they are in place, they are going to be in-place for ever. Even if you can live with 300gb now, can you live with 300gb 10 years from now? Because you'll be relying on the generosity of Comcast to periodically increase your limit every now and then - and being at the mercy of an ISP like that who gets to dictate my usage makes me want to vomit.

I got a warning call from Comcast back in 2008 because we were using 590gb per month. My usage has only gone up since then, significantly. Thankfully we're on Comcast business and these limits don't apply.

I F**king Hate Comcast.

I've paid them over $40,000 over the years. NEVER add up all the bills lol.

This $10/50GB crap is for shit. My son has a 30GB a day internet habit. I had to tell him to stop.

Oh BTW they say an average user uses about 7GB a month! WHAT?! No way.

We are far from hardcore users and have to watch what games we update and when we can update. I MIGHT have some forgiveness for them if they "rolled over" the unused data.

My cable bill hovers around $320 a month ATM. Its a car payment.

The called and ask me how I would like them to communicate with me for my data usage. I told them I DIDN'T want to talk to them about my data usage.

GAHHH!

We all have to listen to them!
If we keep making them drill for internets at this pace... We are gonna run out in the next 10 or 15 years... We have to use it in moderation.

D. Why the hell are we even talking about this?

Sick and tired of bandwidth providers pushing all of us towards streaming this, downloading that then having the BALLS to throttle and/or cap the shit and/or charge you out the asshole for overages. They are already ass raping the customer, they want to go in deeper and tickle our damn tonsils or something?

I can see that... not every comcast customer has a 5 hour a day netflix habit while downloading every iso ever created,

Most cases I bet its some web traffic, youtube vids, some updates and facebook... More usage would be console updates/gaming, more netflix/streaming... Then the power users which do all sorts of junk.

D. Why the hell are we even talking about this?

Sick and tired of bandwidth providers pushing all of us towards streaming this, downloading that then having the BALLS to throttle and/or cap the shit and/or charge you out the asshole for overages. They are already ass raping the customer, they want to go in deeper and tickle our damn tonsils or something?

ummm that is why Comcast doesn't count their own streaming services against your cap. See you have options, the system works!

Also why Comcast won't be part of Netflix's local content servers program... removes the cap penalty/reasoning for using a competitor's streaming service.

I F**king Hate Comcast.

I've paid them over $40,000 over the years. NEVER add up all the bills lol.

This $10/50GB crap is for shit. My son has a 30GB a day internet habit. I had to tell him to stop.

We are far from hardcore users and have to watch what games we update and when we can update. I MIGHT have some forgiveness for them if they "rolled over" the unused data.

My cable bill hovers around $320 a month ATM. Its a car payment.

The called and ask me how I would like them to communicate with me for my data usage. I told them I DIDN'T want to talk to them about my data usage.

GAHHH!

Why don't you get business w/ no cap & no throttling?

in other news Mediacom forced all there uncapped users to capped plans this month too
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Mediacom-Forces-All-Users-On-to-Metered-Plans-125305

Yay, one more reason for me to keep throwing out Mediacom's crappy spammy junk mail I get in the mail every week.

If they would just stop spending tons of money on their weak attempt at spammy advertising (envelopes that have you have no way of telling who it is from) as well as their super weaksause "deals", they would be making more money.

I see them losing a ton of customers because of this as long as those customers have an alternative.

I dropped Mediacom when I found out Knology had moved to DOCSIS 3.0 in my area and offered a 25/5 package for less than I was paying for Mediacom's 20/4 service. I called Mediacom and asked them when they were going to go to DOCSIS 3.0 and they said that it was planned but they didn't have a timeline.

After I paid my final bill, they kept sending me bills and never actually discontinued my service. I had to tell them I wanted to talk to their legal department after they started sending me collection notices. It only took about 6 months to get them to drop their crap.

As far as I know, Knology doesn't have any caps, and i hope it stays that way.

hmmm...

comcast_08092013_zpsf8a3cb9f.jpg

This, can't wait for FIOS to finally make it to me. I pay well over $300 a month between TV and internet from comcast.

Good god man... :eek:

And i thought my $70 a month for phone/DSL was a lot.. then again.. I'm cheap. :p

I just bought my first house and got Time warner cable setup -- 15down 1 up -- no mention of caps. For $35/month. (bought my own modem).

Will see how true they are to their word - speeds and ping are excellent. Just need to see if they let me slide once I get my newsgroup downloader going again sucking down 20-30GB a day.

Only alternative was AT&T DSL and I hate them with a passion. Higher price, shittier service, and just ugh.

Which would you rather have? A.) Your internet speed throttled. B.) Get charged for overages on a 300GB data cap. C.) None of the above.

So it's not so much an "expanding test", as becoming standard policy.

It's hard to go over 250GB in a month...For myself anyway, but when an entire family use it, and have a crap load of games and media downloading, I can see how that would be a problem. Data caps are a bunch of BS anyway, it's not people's usage, but the technology your cable line hooks up to, and the lack of money being put into upgrading the infrastructure for the constant growth of demand.

Back