Comcast Sued Over Deceptive Add-On Fees

HardOCP News

[H] News
It would seem that Comcast's customers are mad enough to sue over what they claim are “illegal and deceptive” fees added to their fixed monthly bill. You know Comcast isn't going to give up that $200 million per month without a fight.

“Comcast applies these fee increases to all customers, even to those in the middle of one-year or two-year contracts at a promised fixed monthly rate,” explains the lawsuit, which accuses Comcast of violating the terms of these customers’ contracts. “By increasing these fees in the middle of the contract term, Comcast has found a way to secretly and repeatedly increase the monthly price it charges for its channel packages despite its promise to charge a flat rate for one or two years.”

Yet another reason I am glad I haven't had cable for the last 4 years.

Glad somebody noticed. On my bill, month to month, those fees would fluctuate in no certain pattern. Comcast is definitely playing a shell game with fees.

So glad I don't have Comcrap, or any cable TV at all for that matter.

I've had to deal with their super crappy support at multiple places here... and they also have data caps.

I am currently using the only provider in my area that doesn't have data caps - WoW! (formerly Knology).

And the kicker is, is that they are also cheaper than ANY other provider in my area. Around 6 months ago, they also changed/upgraded their speed tiers. I was paying $58 for 50/5 before. When they changed the tiers, my speed went up to 120/10 for a few months while I was still on the introductory rate.

Then when that was over, I had to switch to the 60/5 (really about 65/7) plan and am paying $53 a month.

I never have trouble with the speed being lower than the rated max speed.. and the few times there have been outages was because of weather damage or a widespread outage that they got fixed within a couple hours.

ALL the other providers in my area can't hold a candle to them... ATT, Comcast, Mediacom.

Ha! Now there will be one more little fee in that list, called "Customer Litigation Fee". :p

Honestly though, they've treated me fairly decently, my service is reliable, they've issued small credits when I have had a service interruption, always let me switch to the latest promotion if I call and ask. The only problem I do have with them, is that yes, the flat rate we sign up for is hardly ever what the monthly bill is. I still think we get our money's worth, but it's still not quite what I agreed to.

As cable goes up and money is not easy to come by. So customers are really going over their bill in more detail. When you start paying more, you start really looking into things more too.
And no competition doesn't help this at all.

These idiots just can't help themselves. If there's a buck to be made, legal or not, they do it.

The formula is: (advertised cost) = (base cost of service) - ((required equipment rental cost) - (BS HD service fee) - (federal fees and taxes) - (local taxes))

we all know they won't pay this. They already said internally they aren't going to pay this.

Well good, I don't care about lawyers getting rich but I for one would like to see advertised pricing as the actual COST said service/item will end up costing me. I mean as it stands they recalculate the prices based on a zip code/address you entered, so they should know all of the regional/sports fees that are added there.

Ohhhh so all those "administrative fees" plastered all over my bills aren't exactly legal?

Never quite understood how something that is completely automated requires a special fee to offset its costs. Hamster feed must be expensive.

But... but.. they've doubled our speed! Again! For free!(*)

*- plus arbitrary fee

It is quite a coincidence that every time they increased our speed for "free" that my bill suddenly went up a few dollars.

Unfortunately Comcast is my only good option here. The other option is DSL from ATT, which makes Comcast seem like heaven in comparison.

But... but.. they've doubled our speed! Again! For free!(*)

*- plus arbitrary fee

It is quite a coincidence that every time they increased our speed for "free" that my bill suddenly went up a few dollars.

ACTUALLY.. they lowered the speeds...the base packages are now 25 meg... if you want the 75 or 150 you have to pay more (at least in the west)

Verizon does the same thing. There's no way to avoid sports fee if you have any tv package. That fee is like $5 in MD. $95 dual play package ends up costing over $150. Lack of competition pretty much allows them to do what they want, they don't care if you call and complain. Either you go their way or you go offline, they don't care.

Unfortunately Comcast is my only good option here. The other option is DSL from ATT, which makes Comcast seem like heaven in comparison.

Same here, only replace ATT with CLink. Ugh... Still though, I recognize them as a horrible company overall, but they've still been mostly decent where I'm concerned.

Comcast also like to say you didn't return their equipment a year after you already did
I went through this insanity: When I cancelled their service, Comcast said they don't pick up old equipment, that I had to bring it to them (even though I see the comcast trucks driving by the house often) I returned the equipment boxes to the local office. Got a receipt. Next bill comes, even has a negative balance. Comcast sent me into collection, saying I didn't return their equipment. I sent them a copy of the receipt. The response? "A copy of a receipt isn't proof that you returned the devices".

Back