Comcast Officially Acquires DreamWorks For $3.8B

HardOCP News

[H] News
Comcast, the company everyone loves to hate, has finally acquired DreamWorks. I guess this is only a problem for folks that despise Comcast but love How To Train Your Dragon and Shrek. ;) Thanks to everyone that sent this one in.

The move brings family-friendly franchises like Shrek, Madagascar, and How To Train Your Dragon under the NBCU umbrella, as well as classics like Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer… and positions Universal Studios, with all its subsidiaries, in prime position to compete with Disney/Pixar for those lucrative movie and merch dollars.

No more DreamWorks as it was, sad.

And obviously locking out Netflix I'd guess.

That will show that upstart Netflix......

Just last week there was a report that Amazon Prime had more movies than Netflix.

That will show that upstart Netflix......

Just last week there was a report that Amazon Prime had more movies than Netflix.

And in the thread it was said maybe they do overall, including the the ones they can rent out. If they really do inclusive to Prime, well then, they're old and not likely anyone watching them.

Wow, a fairly popular movie/animation studio going for only slightly more than Mojang/Minecraft. :D

dreamworks going to bleed out of talent maybe? here i tought cable companies were broke that they only pass costs to the customer plus a small percent, hence the need to raise prices all the time hmmm... ive been misled...

If there's a contract, it'll remain in force unless Comsuck buys Netflix out of it.
Welll, usually these contracts have a time limit or only up to a certain season/episode, so if that's the case, I'm sure comcast is waiting for that time.

So that's where all my comcast monthly payments have gone. I wish google / anybody but comcast / was in my neighborhood so I can switch /grrr

Last edited:
So how long before we find out that Comcast won't sign a licensing contract with Netflix for any Dreamworks content?

Welll, usually these contracts have a time limit or only up to a certain season/episode, so if that's the case, I'm sure comcast is waiting for that time.
The bottom line is still making money and Netflix is the 800-lb gorilla in the streaming video arena. Also, since animated shows take a long time to produce, if more episodes are planned then they're already in the works and Netflix has likely paid [in part] for that production.

Think of it like what Netflix essentially now resembles: A television network. Even if a television studio changes hands, if a network carries one of their shows then they'll also have an option on unproduced episodes/seasons. That's why you don't see bidding wars over television shows until/unless the original network passes on airing another season.

I would agree... but this is a different than normal case, where something is acquired by a competitor.

I would agree... but this is a different than normal case, where something is acquired by a competitor.
Again, not really different from situations in the past. Scrubs (the first example that popped into my head) was produced by Touchstone (later ABC Studios) and aired on NBC despite ABC being owned by Disney during the entirety of its run.

It was owned the entire run, where as this is changing hands.

Wow, a fairly popular movie/animation studio going for only slightly more than Mojang/Minecraft. :D

After Dreamworks put out Turbo in 2013, there has been some doubt about the long term success of the studio (even though they still easily pull in a 2:1 ratio of sales to production costs).

Back