Comcast Is Accused of Signing Up Users for Deceptive Program without Consent

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The attorney general of Washington has filed a new amended complaint in an ongoing lawsuit against Comcast, alleging that hundreds of thousands of Washington residents were "deceived" into paying "at least $73 million in subscription fees over the last five years for a near-worthless ‘protection plan.’"

A sample of recorded calls between SPP subscribers and Comcast representatives obtained by the Attorney General’s Office reveal that Comcast may have signed up more than half of all SPP subscribers without their consent. Comcast deceived consumers even when mentioning the SPP, telling them the SPP plan was “free” when they signed up, when in fact, Comcast would automatically charge them every month after the first month.

I signed up for Comcast internet many years ago and clicked I have my own modem to use. They never sent me a modem but they were still charging me $10 a month for modem rental went I was using my own. I bet it happened to a lot of people that chose to use their own modem.

Say its not so...I hope Comcast stays out of my neck of the woods. I have Spectrum and don't really have any gripes against against them yet.

I signed up for Comcast internet many years ago and clicked I have my own modem to use. They never sent me a modem but they were still charging me $10 a month for modem rental went I was using my own. I bet it happened to a lot of people that chose to use their own modem.

This is pretty much par for the course these days. If you do not manually call down and throw a massive fit they will charge you a rental fee for a modem that does not exist.

Say its not so...I hope Comcast stays out of my neck of the woods. I have Spectrum and don't really have any gripes against against them yet.

I hate to be the one to break this to you but spectrum AKA charter AKA Time warner is pretty much just as bad if not worse than comcast.

don't think this is just a comcast thing.. a lot of the providers do stupid shit like this. i've dealt with it from comcast, AT&T, and century link.. i remember when i started seeing this crap on my bill from comcast in 2011 and quickly made them remove it.

Shady business practices is common with a lot of providers. Comcast is just in the news a lot more because they try the hardest to screw over their customers.

a lot of the providers do stupid shit like this.

dont-stressits-just-business-as-usual.jpg

"This call may be recorded for quality assurance or training", guess they'll have to start adding "or the retrieval for an Attorney General's office". Funny how these companies always hang up when I say the call is being recorded before we start.

Also laughable was their complaining about all the "Comcast responded to the Attorney General’s motion to compel production of call recordings by again arguing it would be burdensome to review and provide them." time they'd have to spend listening to all of them to decide which ones they would turn over, indeed that would be time consuming. However, if you had nothing to hide, you could just send them all over as a batch file and let the AG office spend all their time going through them to find nothing...lol.

Even with a contract I find that Comcast finds novel ways to charge me more. First it was the "HD fee," which was interesting because I refused their "free" box upgrade that would allow for that technology (I actually lost channels in the process). Then it was the "sports fee," despite the fact I watch no sports and have no sports package. Not to mention all the taxes which, admittedly, is the government taking their share, but somehow those get higher every year, too.

I tend to think of it like the Seinfeld episode about taking a reservation. Comcast is fine with making a contract but they never hold up their end of the bargain...so I'm not sure they know what a contract is.

A worthless protection plan? Say it isn't so! Totally unexpected from Comcast too.

Back