Comcast internet users reboot your modem form speed increase

trick0502

Supreme [H]ardness
If you're a comcast internet user reboot your modem. My speed just jumped from 55 to 120. Unfortunately upload speed stayed at 10.

I think this only works for bundled customers.

Dang and I thought the Charter upgrade from 30 to 60 was nice....

Congrats!

I can confirm that these speeds are the correct ones. My folks in TN have Comcast and consistently get 120/10-20.

Does Comcast still have a 300gb cap on their service? If so does that mean you could hit it in as little as 7 hours?

Does Comcast still have a 300gb cap on their service? If so does that mean you could hit it in as little as 7 hours?

its 250gb

"Note: Enforcement of the 250GB data consumption threshold is currently suspended."

i dont think they ever enforced it.

its 250gb

"Note: Enforcement of the 250GB data consumption threshold is currently suspended."

i dont think they ever enforced it.

In December they began enforcing the 300GB soft cap. For every 50GB block over that you are charged $10/50GB. I.e. if you use 304GB total, you will still get charged the $10 for the next block.

Some people haven't gotten hit with bills from it yet, but most have. I now watch my home consumption closely as I was actually in the 1.5TB/mo range in October and November of last year. However, if you have a business connection, there is not a cap and never has been.

It's still only available in select regions (although spreading rapidly). Haven't seen anything on the West Coast yet. Probably because we have no competition whatsoever here.

Seeing a lot more people getting the 50/10 > 105/10 boost than people on the 25/5 > 50/10, which is what I'm on.

In December they began enforcing the 300GB soft cap. For every 50GB block over that you are charged $10/50GB. I.e. if you use 304GB total, you will still get charged the $10 for the next block.

Some people haven't gotten hit with bills from it yet, but most have. I now watch my home consumption closely as I was actually in the 1.5TB/mo range in October and November of last year. However, if you have a business connection, there is not a cap and never has been.

do they warn you when you hit the cap?

according to thier site, the 105mbps service has a 600GB cap.

do they warn you when you hit the cap?

Kinda-sorta. Occasionally I've gotten a call from them when I'm at about 270GB (soft cap is 300GB). They do have a monitoring application that you can download to see what you current estimated consumption is for that billing period.

My speed just jumped from 55 to 120. Unfortunately upload speed stayed at 10.

what modem do you have? are you using the maximum amount of channels available to the modem from your ISP?

cox supplied us a motorola surfboard 6120, which was the latest at the time, but could only use 4 channels at a time.

after upgrading to the 6182, which uses all 8 channels available....

...upload is still 25-30Mbps... but hey, its "50/20" service.

still the same 3mbits for me lol :(

You sir owe me 30 seconds of my time that I took to reboot my modem. I have both comcast internet and tv and still have the same speed. Sad part is if I lived just 20 min closer to provo where google fiber is then comcast has some wicked sick deals even if fiber isn't at your place.

3419080264.png

Last edited:
You sir owe me 30 seconds of my time that I took to reboot my modem. I have both comcast internet and tv and still have the same speed. Sad part is if I lived just 20 min closer to provo where google fiber is then comcast has some wicked sick deals even if fiber isn't at your place.

3419080264.png

It took twenty minutes to reboot your modem??

All I owe you is tree fidy

what modem do you have? are you using the maximum amount of channels available to the modem from your ISP?

cox supplied us a motorola surfboard 6120, which was the latest at the time, but could only use 4 channels at a time.

after upgrading to the 6182, which uses all 8 channels available....

...upload is still 25-30Mbps... but hey, its "50/20" service.

I'm using eight down and three up

its 250gb

i don't think they ever enforced it.

I don't think they care if it only happens occasionally or if you're only a little bit over, but they do start paying more attention to your activities when you start going over by a lot.

One time my wife's uncle stayed with us for six months and unknown to me he was downloading HD quality movies off illegal file sharing sites all day long. He was eating up our monthly 250GB cap every 4-5 days.

I got an email from Comcast a couple months later showing a long list of movies that were illegally downloaded through my network. When I called to inquire the customer service guy told me that it was the unusual and sustained spike in traffic that alerted them to monitor my usage more closely. He said they only suspend service after you get several warnings for excessive overuse.

Called Comcast and was told my area got a boost on 4/1. Reset the modem and I am getting 100/10.

I am in VT btw.

Back