Comcast and Netflix Formally Consummate Marriage

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by DooKey, Apr 13, 2018.

1. DooKey

DooKey [H]ardness Supreme

Netflix and Comcast started dating each other back in 2016 when Comcast added Netflix to their X1 platform. This allowed customers to maintain their Comcast usage and also let them take advantage of a Netflix subscription without changing devices. This worked so well for both that they've now decided to tie the knot and Comcast is going to offer Netflix as part of the Xfinity package and customers get Netflix as part of the subscription to Comcast. Talk about strange bedfellows. I guess this shows no matter what your differences are it's possible to get past them and live happily ever after.

Comcast will launch a variety of initial offers this month that include a Netflix subscription. Offers and availability will vary by market and be open to new and existing customers. Netflix-related billing will be handled directly by Comcast, giving customers one, simple monthly statement.

2. BHenry

BHenry Limp Gawd

I’ve seen plenty of cable bills and simple is never how I would describe them.

3. Spaceninja

Spaceninja [H]ard|Gawd

If Comcast is involved the customer is the one getting screwed.

4. Jagger100

Jagger100 [H]ardness Supreme

Killing new media. New media risks propaganda getting out of the hands of the establishment. With this Deal George Soros is cementing that Netflix will forever be on the correct side of establishment propaganda.

sleepeeg3 and mynamehere like this.
  5. toast0

toast0 Gawd

Nice, now if you have T-mobile with netflix, and comcast with netflix, you can pay for it twice!

6. revenant

revenant [H]ardForum Junkie

This. They are a bunch of fuckers.

7. WorldExclusive

WorldExclusive [H]ardForum Junkie

Netflix is a Trojan horse. Comcast will have to bend at their will each time contract terms need to be renewed, a la ESPN.

mynamehere likes this.
  8. ecmaster76

ecmaster76 [H]ard|Gawd

Montu
    Your headline triggered me for a moment. I though perhaps Comcast had bought Netflix

WORDS ARE VIOLENCE

Please fix

9. greenman

greenman Gawd

It's gonna be one messy divorce... Oh God think of the children.

mynamehere likes this.
  10. lollerwaffle

lollerwaffle Gawd

Verizon FIOS is also offering me Netflix on them for a full year. Might go the same route.

11. jardows

jardows [H]ard|Gawd

I wonder if this will work out for more Comcast content to be streamed on Netflix? I can hope!

12. Krazy925

Krazy925 2[H]4U

From hate to bromance in like 5 years.

13. Cyraxx

Cyraxx 2[H]4U

Not sure how this can last long term, but it definitely doesn't sound good for the consumer.

Comcast was against net neutrality - obvious reasons.
    Netflix was for net neutrality - again, for obvious reasons.

If the two get in bed with eachother, I can only think that Netflix will no longer care for net neutrality.

14. Wierdo

Wierdo [H]ard|Gawd

Netflix is big enough that they don't need net neutrality, it is in their interest now to look the other way as any startup will have no way of keeping up with them if they try to offer competing business through ISP controlled pipes, they'll just get the clogged one.

15. Jagger100

Jagger100 [H]ardness Supreme

Giving Cable Companies carte blanche with their "TV" bandwidth was part of the Obama years Net Neutrality. Those NN rules only applied to served Internet. If it pipes into your cable box, the cable companies could leverage their monopoly access as they saw fit.

16. haste.

haste. [H]ard|Gawd

I just don't know what to say.

Yikes. Where do you think your point of view comes from? Nothing to do with opposite propaganda from the opposing forces?

17. Wierdo

Wierdo [H]ard|Gawd

NN was about treating the line as a dumb pipe, basically the ISP was not allowed to decide who gets more bandwidth and who gets less based on how much they paid to offer users a service, so Youtube was not prioritized over Twitter etc.

That is no longer the case, but maybe it's good that the rust belt doesn't catch up, let silicon valley incumbents control the multi-trillion dollar digital market for the foreseeable future right?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  18. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

Dont have Netflix, but I do have Amazon prime... oops there is no X1 app for that and there wont be one in the forseeable future sorry

19. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

nein.. if you already have netflix then you don't have to pay for it through comcast.. if you want netflix but want it all on a single bill then you can sign up for netflix through comcast.. so in your case since you already have netflix with t-mobile, you just login to your netflix account in the x1 box and you're done. quite frankly netflix is the only selling point for the x1 box in my opinion.. the promises that comcast made with the app support on x1 ended up never happening which has made the thing completely useless.

20. ElricXVII

ElricXVII [H]Lite

Cox will also be offering this as well. Whats interesting is that Netflix content though the cable box counts against your 1TB monthly data allowance.

21. Absalom

Absalom Gawd

Great. Another ploy of Comcast to jack customer's bill up yet another $10-15.

22. Even in the UK, the things are weird as shit.

BHenry likes this.
  23. dawsonkm

dawsonkm n00b

Comcast is a shitbag isp

24. Commander Shepard

Commander Shepard 2[H]4U

One of the greatest moments of moving out of my condo building and into my new house, last year, was cancelling Xfinity TV/internet and going all Roku with AT&T fiber!!

25. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

Unfortunately they're really the only option for me if I want any speed above 5Mbps.